WiFi speeds

Smokie

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

just wondering what kind of speeds people are getting while connected to there car? I noticed that I am always connected showing LTE so the speeds should be good. Download on a speed test app on my phone never gets more than 1mb but upload can be 6-10. It wouldn’t be reliable enough to use really.

What’s everyone’s experience?

You must be using your connect sim as a WiFi hotspot then? I would have thought that would be the only way you could test it as the three year connect would not let it be used for data, hence I doubt if a speed test would work..

Yeah I have my own three sim in it. The connect sim is embedded I think so when I put my own sim in it picked it up without any issues. Everything else still works as expected but the WiFi speed ain’t great.

It’s a 2017 but 2.4ghz should be good for a pretty decent speeds, more than what I am getting I would think. Can 5ghz be activated on OBDeleven?

2.5Ghz wifi has a theoretical top speed of 300Mbps thus much will depend upon the wifi adaptors that the car and the phone use...

Unless you have a MY20 car chances are your WiFi is only set to 2.5ghz. 5ghz can be activated via coding.

I’ve a MY20 and although the MIB3 theoretically supports it , I’ve not been able to activate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Use a coding tool to access 5F, adaptation, search for WiFi and change to / activate 5ghz. I do this every other day with VCDS.

Have you done it on a MIB3 on the 2020 A4?
Iv’e not seen anyone that has achieved this yet.

My adaptations

location_of_BT_WLAN_chip:

active

internet_over_WLAN_default_setting:

activated

WLAN_password_sync:

synchronized

2.4_GHz_visibility:

activated

2.4_GHz_max_channel_bandwidth:

20_MHz

5_ghz_wlan:

On

5_ghz_visibility:

activated

5_GHz_max_channel_bandwidth:

80_MHz

DHCP_lease_time:

72 h

channel_number_for_2_4GHz:

channel_number_for_5GHz:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, as it’s part of activation wireless Apple CarPlay.

5_ghz_wlan = on

or

Wlan_5ghz_switch = activated
That doesn’t work I’m afraid. There are plenty of threads on this. No 5ghz network is broadcast I’m afraid. (I know this works on A6 / A7) not aware of anyone managing it on a my20 a4/s4 a5

my initial interest was to activate wireless CarPlay , so far no one that I am aware of has achieved this.
I’d love to have this feature available.

That doesn’t work I’m afraid. There are plenty of threads on this. No 5ghz network is broadcast I’m afraid. (I know this works on A6 / A7) not aware of anyone managing it on a my20 a4/s4 a5

my initial interest was to activate wireless CarPlay , so far no one that I am aware of has achieved this.
I’d love to have this feature available.
Check to see if there are any updates available for your MMI.

I

had one a couple of weeks ago. Latest version now.
Nothing else to be done for the moment then. I should buy a unit to add to much test bench but so little demand for anything MIB2.5plus and MIB3 in the UK.

Nothing else to be done for the moment then. I should buy a unit to add to much test bench but so little demand for anything MIB2.5plus and MIB3 in the UK.

[mention]DJAlix [/mention] I’d be excited to see that happen. I’ve tried most things and checked everywhere. I was even wondering if it was something to do with licensing. I even get as far as the car trying to connect over WiFi. The phone then seems to drop the WiFi (as if it is trying to switch from 2.4 to 5 ghz) but then fails as it can’t find the 5ghz SSID)
I was going to start looking at the WiFi band and channel options.
My default 5ghz channel in adaptations is 149. I know this needs a light licence to operate in this Chanel in the uk.

I tested mine earlier. Three sim, LTE and WiFi 2.4ghz connected. Fast.com reported just under 8mbps.

Reactions: Smokie and Kondax
...is there a difference in this scenario? Not like the actual WiFi speeds between two local devices on the network are relevant.
End goal is to have fast Internet speeds.
If it's slow, ideal would be to try and work out why as it could be 3G or WiFi (aware it could be other things) but I don't see any way with the MMI you'd be able to test the local WiFi speeds.

Reactions: Kondax
Managed to get 5ghz on and wireless Carplay working, I may have carried out some unnecessary steps , some options are not in module 5F but elsewhere. (This is a MY20)

I'm going to try and work out what and isn't required and let people know.

...is there a difference in this scenario? Not like the actual WiFi speeds between two local devices on the network are relevant.
Why then is it important to have 5ghz wifi as there will be no internet speed gain what so ever..

Thanks for everyones info, But am I right in thinking that yous are now looking into activating 5ghz and to enable wireless car play? Can this be done on the 2017 A4? Also has anyone tried OBDeleven on the iPhone ? I switched from Android to Apple but the app tells me it will only work on the newer module.

Thanks for everyones info, But am I right in thinking that yous are now looking into activating 5ghz and to enable wireless car play? Can this be done on the 2017 A4? Also has anyone tried OBDeleven on the iPhone ? I switched from Android to Apple but the app tells me it will only work on the newer module.
Not possible.