Wifi

johnh8picc

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone know if the inbuilt wifi can be turned on, so that it stays on even when the ignition is off. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably more a security concern behind this? would not someone hacking away at your Wi-Fi whilst you are away from the vehicle? Much like your mobile does not keep it permanently turned on.

Curious for your use case?

Likely for the latest dashcams, which record to the cloud via wifi hotspot.

I'm pretty sure they turn off when you turn off the ignition, or timeout shortly thereafter.

Why not just wire in a mobile hotspot with its own SIM card?

Reactions: maui
Hi , sorry for the delay in responding. It is for the dash cam. The one I use is a BlackVue two camera unit with parking mode. If I had permanent wifi , I could check the cameras live.

The car has systems that automatically shut down systems over time to preserve other critical systems, if you interfer with this you may cause other issues..

Hi , sorry for the delay in responding. It is for the dash cam. The one I use is a BlackVue two camera unit with parking mode. If I had permanent wifi , I could check the cameras live.

I have the same camera and initially thought 'what a good idea' then realised that feature is pretty useless because I don't think any car that has a WiFi hotspot leaves it on when the ignition is off. I suppose the only use is if somebody else is driving the car and you can monitor it remotely. You can also communicate with them through it as well, although it's only one way so I can't see the point when you have a phone.

Car security is bad enough without having wifi access to your car 24/7..

All the car systems would shutdown after a certain amount of time. A permanently active Wi-Fi would drain the cars battery if left for a while.