Why did you buy an S3?

drummerdimitri

Reaction score
I was looking for a compact car with awd that was quick, efficient, comfortable with lots of tech and looked stylish.

What about you?

Having come from a M135 I wanted and got better quality,traction and looks.bit disappointed in performance though.

For its looks first of all. Second I compared many cars around 50,000usd price range and this one fully optioned was the best choice for my needs so I ordered one and waiting for delivery. It will be my first car so I'm excited :)

I hade the old 2.0 TDI 170 black edition s-line which I loved but I always looked at the S3 and wanted it. At that time though it wasn't very sensible as I had to commute to work every day (3.5 hours drive round trip) as soon as I didn't have to do the commute anymore I was straight to Audi and ordered the S3. Never even had a test drive. Wanted something that looked nice and was quick.

It ticks every box for me

Reactions: sjbarneS3 and sunscreemer
Coming from a TDI TT, I needed more space and wanted more poke!

I love the aggressive looking front but was never kean on the back, although it has now grown on me.

Upload 2015 5 17 18 10 52

Step up from my s1 much nicer inside and better built i think

My 8P S3 does everything it's asked of and more but now feeling a little tired in the the tech dept, oh and I need DSG in my life.

Is it September yet??:sorrow:

Reactions: gordie1973
Because I loved it when I first saw it !

Reactions: Audimad
Having come from a M135 I wanted and got better quality,traction and looks.bit disappointed in performance though.

The S3 and the M135 are pretty evenly matched in terms of performance. Nothing a stage 1 tune can't fix ;)

... because there was no mk3 TTS to order. I tried the golf R and merc amg, neither hit the spot for me. The S3 was the only real option that made sense to me at the time. A year on and some 20,000 miles and I'm not exactly in love with my S3, but hey, it's not a shitter either. Given what was about at the time I ordered it, I still think I made the right choice. Looking to change it over later this year, RS3 or TTS is what I'm looking at.

The S3 and the M135 are pretty evenly matched in terms of performance. Nothing a stage 1 tune can't fix ;)

Hmm, having owned an m135i previously, Id say your wrong. The M135i is a LOT quicker in day to day driving....the M135i has neck snapping acceleration, especially in the mid range.....dont get that from the s3

Reactions: drummerdimitri
Hmm, having owned an m135i previously, Id say your wrong. The M135i is a LOT quicker in day to day driving....the M135i has neck snapping acceleration, especially in the mid range.....dont get that from the s3

You wouldn't have posted that if it did LOL. Don't believe you hehe.

? Its much, much quicker, why is that hard to accept?

Audi fanboys are often in denial ;)
(About their car)

Eg
See this thread for 228i v S3
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-slow.237982/

plus
I've always said, if you're napping in the wrong gear in the S3, a large German diesel will be more than capable of overtaking you mid range.

As for the acceleration - the M135i has a NA engine, the S3 has a turbo.
(Correction Edit: M135i has twin scroll turbo)

Plus - evo tested the M135i v S3 around the track, the M135i is quicker ;)

The S3 is quick with LC though :)

Last edited:
Im loving my S3 as it does all I need it to very well.

However, my M135i was a much faster car. Problem was, its a real handful at speed on anything less than perfect roads, its RWD which isnt great in the wet and its got looks only a mother could love.....

Oh, and the M135i does have a turbo! Its a tŵin scroll unit

Id be interested to hear the thoughts of others who have actually owned the BMW and are now in an S3.....they may be a bit more impartial having owned both!!

Reactions: veeeight
(About their car)

Eg
See this thread for 228i v S3
http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/s3-slow.237982/

plus
I've always said, if you're napping in the wrong gear in the S3, a large German diesel will be more than capable of overtaking you mid range.

As for the acceleration - the M135i has a NA engine, the S3 has a turbo.

Plus - evo tested the M135i v S3 around the track, the M135i is quicker ;)

The S3 is quick with LC though :)

The M135i has a 3 liter twin turbo inline 6.

Reactions: veeeight
The M135i has a 3 liter twin turbo inline 6.

No it doesnt. Its a single "twin scroll" turbo, NOT a twin turbo.

However, theres no substitute for cc as they say and the BMWs 3 litres is what makes all the difference.

Because you can keep up with this bunch flat out in a car quarter the price

(Not talking about the icy)

e83f721f2ffb2e4ff9b9c5f3016ba522.jpg

Reactions: monopole
I wanted something newer than my Stage1 MK6 GTI with similar/more performance and more toys.

Is my S3 perfect? No, but there is nothing else I would swap it for at the moment, and I'm sure I will love it even more with an APR map in a year or so down the road.

This thread needs a new title:

'Who bought their S3 for completely the wrong reasons?' ;)

Reactions: NickyF
The following.......
1) Quality brand.
2) Something very quick, but maintained an element of practicality that can be used 'normally'
3) Bearing in mind point 2, wanted to avoid the 'boy racer' image, which immediately ruled out a Golf.
4) Also bearing in mind the practicality angle, wanted to avoid RWD so it can be used in dodgy weather, ruling out BMW.
5) Bearing in mind all if the above, wanted to have fun driving again.

For the £37k or so I shelled out, there is probably nothing else and the S3 ticked every box for me. Absolutely love it, and yes, I know it's not a 'perfect' car.......for that, you need to spend lots more.

Reactions: sunscreemer, Nikon, Simon L and 1 other person
You didn't say why you bought the S3 and we are assuming you test drove one properly before paying all that money. Someone who claims to be as knowledgeable about all things cars, you would have done your homework, right?

I was optimistic :)

Now crushed.

But once again, don't make it about me, talk about the car, or your reasons. Not mine ;)

Reactions: kanecullen89 and Psyman79
tumblr_mnj2my6MvV1s9pzsmo1_250.gif

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: lucas-suisse, JM11EEE, Pulp84 and 4 others
But once again, don't make it about me, talk about the car, or your reasons. Not mine ;)
But, darling, you always make it all about you, and you have still avoided the question. Some might think you actually don't own one. Have you posted pictures?

Reactions: sunscreemer
Move on, move on, the records broken ;)
The records broken ;)
The records broken ;)

Yes, of course I make up stuff about a car I don't actually own :rolleyes:

(I note you're the first one in the thread to make it about me, and seem unable to let it go, let it go)

^ this sums you up perfectly and I notice you whistled for your pet pup to turn up as well. Same **** same day with you. If you think that appearing to be 'honest' makes you popular it has the complete opposite effect and the fact you avoid at all costs two simple questions. Why avoid, they are easy enough to answer if you are telling the truth and not a troll. Answer them and we'll move on.

I answered. Many times. Many posts :)

You didn't want to listen ;)

Denial :)

I don't "appear" to be honest, I *am* honest, and I'm not after popularity votes :)

Move on, you're in danger of ruining yet another thread.
Once again, if you don't like what I post, skip past them. It's not difficult :)

Reactions: kanecullen89
I answered. Many times. Many posts :)
Links please.

You didn't want to listen ;)
Again, links to what appears to have missed please.

Nope, you avoid the questions yet again.

I don't "appear" to be honest, I *am* honest, and I'm not after popularity votes :)
Really. I just see a troll who thinks it is funny to continue saying the same things again and again to try and cause an effect. I couldn't care less who you are, but I dislike trolls.

Move on, you're in danger of ruining yet another thread.
Once again, if you don't like what I post, skip past them. It's not difficult :)
Nope, you ruin every thread you take part in because you cannot reserve judgement, accept others opinions or stand back and let others have their say. Everyone saying anything positive or contrary to your opinion is a fanboy. That is quite offensive to be honest and shows a lack of respect to other users of this forum. It's like you think you own this place and that your opinion is honest so listen to me everyone or you're a fanboy. Audi-Sport.net is not a nice place to be when you are around and avoiding you is difficult as you seem to be everywhere, sprouting the same negative nonsense.
If you actually knew half the things you sprout off about, like how to drive, you'd be interesting, but most can see past the trolling. Some of us even impose breaks on ourselves just to avoid your crap. See ya.

Last edited by a moderator:
Links please.

Again, links to what appears to have missed please.

Nope, you avoid the questions yet again.

Really. I just see a troll who thinks it is funny to continue saying the same things again and again to try and cause an effect. I couldn't care less who you are, but I dislike trolls.

Nope, you ruin every thread you take part in because you cannot reverse judgement, accept others opinions or stand back and let others have their say. Everyone saying anything positive or contrary to your opinion is a fanboy. That is quite offensive to be honest and shows a lack of respect to other users of this forum. It's like you think you own this place and that your opinion is honest so listen to me everyone or you're a fanboy. Audi-Sport.net is not a nice place to be when you are around and avoiding you is difficult as you seem to be everywhere, sprouting the same negative nonsense.
If you actually knew half the things you sprout off about, like how to drive, you'd be interesting, but most can see past the trolling. Some of us even impose breaks on ourselves just to avoid your ****. See ya.

Sorry, I've just woken up, I must have missed the bit where I have to justify myself to you ;)

(And well done on derailing yet another thread :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: kanecullen89
Sorry, I've just woken up, I must have missed the bit where I have to justify myself to you ;)
So, you avoid all the points made and just get childish. Moving on, you obviously are just full of **** and people can make their own minds up (I actually think most people are intelligent on this forum, even if you don't and just think they are fanboys and need your constant 'knowledge' and 'honesty' LOL).