When in Rome...

SamDude

Reaction score
All,

I'm planning a trip at the end of November for our annual anniversary getaway, but rather than the usual two week full on trip, I'm keeping it more of a long weekend due to work commitments. We've got the 23rd to the 26th of November inclusive booked for the trip.

I am planning on visiting Rome/Vatican in Italy - its the only place in Europe I have on my "To Visit" list. (The next item down is Hong Kong, perhaps next year...)

I would be greatful for any pointers from anyone who has been to Rome - any particular area to stay and visit (or avoid)?

Did you fly there with BA/Virgin or on the cheap?

Where is the best (+reasonable) hotel near the Vatican/Colosseum and/or other sites to visit? (we don't want a hotel out in the sticks, where any cost saving is eaten up by taxis/transport fares...)

I've got a bit of time, so you peoples can help me shape the itinerary!

:icon_thumright:​

ok that last hotel is great but not cheap try looking at this site:

http://www.romeby.com/

these are good areas to stay, Rome is pretty spread out so you will end up using public transport of some kind, we enjoyed using the buses , cheap easy and regular, more fun than taxis I reckon

Piazza Navona - Pantheon
Piazza di Spagna
Quirinale - Trevi Fountain

Colleseum and Vatican are in less hotelly areas so aim to travel to them from were you end up staying rather than staying close to them.
Do not assume the Romans will stop for you if you try and use a zebra crossing I nearly lost my wife under a fiat taxi on the first day of our honeymoon!

I used http://www.italyby.com/ and http://www.romeby.com when booking our honeymoon a few years ago and never had a bad hotel with them

many shuttle buses are available at Romes airports which take you to the railway terminuss were you can easily get a taxi for last few miles to your hotel

Its an awesome place in my view! Went there for valentines last year for 3 days, needed more! Take good walking shoes is the best advice! The underground system is limited to 2 lines, there's too much buries under the modern city to expand it really! The bus system is excellent and wide spread so getting about this way is good. Read the online travel guides, especially how the public transport system works is my advice here. As for where to stay, there are loads, read tripadvisor.com reviews to find a good one in your price range. Central hotels cost more so we went for one about 9 stops out on the metro, 15 mins to the centre and about 1/2 the price, it was basic but we only wanted a bed & shower really! Get the AA guide book as its excellent. The vatican has ridiculous queues from about 2am'ish, suggest you ignore them & go into the cathedral 1st. The queues are virtually gone just after lunch so even though you get rushed through the vatican later on, it saves wasting a day in the queue! Enjoy it!

Thanks guys!

I've only looked at the hotel search links briefly - but they look excellent resourses!

Keep the tips/recommendations coming!

Just got back from a business trip to Rome on Thursday. Have to say that it is a great city. Ancient history everywhere you turn - as one of the taxi drivers said "if its younger than 500 years we call it modern".
Even though the traffic and driving is completely mad, I found it really easy to get around. Most things are within walking distance and you can simply get metro up to places like the Vatican. Taxi's are also pretty reasonable. Its also really good to walk around at night as most things are flood lit.
I stayed at the Sheraton which is a conference hotel really - wouldnt stay there otherwise. Out of town, but did have a free suttle to the centre though.
Top tip is that it is against the law in Italy to have an iron in a hotel room - so make sure you iron any shirts before you go!

It's an amazing city, the Vatican is unbelievable. Have a great time.

I really like rome, I stayed in the hotel below for a week on a deal with Expedia, was a great little hotel that was within easy walking distance of St Peter's etc.

BA flights were included and it was a bargain from memory, I would agree with what the others have said, vatican, fountain, pantheon etc. and we found walking was the best way around.

http://www.franklinhotelrome.it/