Wheel Arch Liner Screws/Clips

JohnnieWalker

Reaction score
Hi everyone, noticed that some wheel arch liner screws/clips are missing on the front.

( I know this isn't exactly a major issue )
A6 wheel arch
Screenshot 2020 07 31 at 155752

The torx ones all seem to be in place, but there's a couple near the bottom where the under tray connects to the front of the front wheel arches the fixings were missing, so I ordered a set of undertray fixings.

I've tried fitting one of the black plastic screws into the existing hole/clip, but even after turning it to lock it into place it still seems very loose.

To be honest I think they might just fall out if I fit them in, should they be so loose? obviously the design of them clips means that there is always a gap between the head of the screw and the clip, as they just twist and lock, maybe it's just that the wheel arch lining is now compressed?

There seems to be a few undertray fixings missing, meaning the tray flaps about a bit, and probably wobbles when I'm driving.

Can anyone advise?

Reactions: c16rkc
I was in the same boat as you so I bought a full set from Germany. When I fitted those plastic ones you highlighted they did feel loose and I was worried they would fall out but 6 weeks later they are still there. I think it’s pot luck though because I do keep checking - just in case they do....

Reactions: JohnnieWalker
Thanks, not just me then :)

I'm guessing they either fall out or aren't replaced when removed, the undertray screws have probably just been lost and not replaced when the car has had work done on it in the past.

I had thought about packing out the space a little with a washer.

I sometimes see cars with flapping undertrays when driving on the motorway, and wonder if the driver ever wonders what the noise is, as when stopped the tray probably looks ok. :)

Reactions: Simon6565
That was me........I stand there looking proud at my car thinking that it’s brilliant, then I notice the missing plastic screws, then I take a closer look and see that at least 50% of the undertray screws were missing. I didn’t stand there looking proud anymore and I’m constantly looking under it convinced that there must be some screw eating hobbit in the garden somewhere.....
The kit I got from Germany was the only full kit I could find on eBay, it was about £18 all in and I’m convinced I could have done it cheaper going to a motor factor because the plastic ones as well as the other ones are common across the VW group, but I only found that out later....

I'm missing them for a long time now.
Use cable ties instead and have to redo them every year after service as mechanics will bot put them in like I want

Sent from H P20 PRO

This is the kit I got from ebay, not sure if it is a 'full' kit, but hopefully it will have enough to replace any missing screws.
Screenshot 2020 08 01 at 102827

That looks ok but the screws from the front where the tray goes underneath the bumper are missing, but to be honest any automotive screws should do the trick..

When I fitted my new underdtray I had all this fun as well. I ordered a kit similar to yours but found a few parts were not quite right.

The entire undertray was held on with the half turn metal screws, including the section where the front bumper connects to the tray but I swapped this to screws due to the tension not holding them in well. The plastic quater turn bits in my kit were too long and felt loose like yours.

At this point I checked a parts list for undertrays and found that Audi had two options for each fitting... So my fitting kit was half right.

The platic quater turn ones are the most annoying I think, Audi made them in 20mm and 22mm lengths, the provided ones were the 22mm ones so I ordered a set of 20mm ones and they fit much better.