What would you do?

Mr. R

Reaction score
After 4 months waiting for my S3 sportback, I have been told that it would take another 2 months for delivery.
To avoid any problems caused by this delay, the dealer managed to find a car with the same spec and colour but as a saloon, with delivery due in two weeks. What would you do? Please share your opinion because different points of view could help me decide!
Thanks!

Ask for a sweetener if its not exactly what you want.

Simple. Ask yourself why you chose the sportback. Was it just a close run thing based on looks, or will you ending up cursing the switch to a saloon the day you are trying to get a chest of drawers in the boot?

I'd just wait for the car you ordered rather than a car they're trying to pass off and get rid of! But I'd ask for my freebies and maybe free servicing as an apology, I also believe if they gave you a delivery time and then it's gone longer you can ask for a courtesy car if you've sold yours on and left without transport

If you don't need a Sportback and don't mind the looks of the Saloon, consider it.
But absolutely make them work for it - free servicing, tyre and alloy insurance, GAP, accessories and money off your agreed position.

Is the price the same? Is the GFV more/less? Why did you buy the sportback and not the saloon in the first place?

If you can live with a saloon and don't want to wait, do as others have said and push for free servicing etc.

Don't let the stealers dictate what car you want, if you wanted a saloon you would of ordered it in the first place!

Reactions: Dtwm1
Most definitely go with your preferred choice, as it is "your" car, it need to meet your needs! So if the delayed SB is what you want, get them to give you a loaner car from now until delivery. Plenty of people here in Australia got loaner cars from day one of placing their order until their car arrived.

Reactions: Pulp84
Which dealer was this just out of interest?

If you're set on a sport back tell them you want an S3 to use in the meantime, 4 months is a long wait. Mine took just over 8 weeks!

Should you go for the Saloon they may not throw in freebies so don't get disheartened if they don't.

I don't have need for sportbacks or saloons but I imagine a sportback is easier to manage if you have pets and kids/go on long trips etc.

On the flip side ...

I've ordered a saloon & if the supplying dealer said I could have the same spec/colour on a Sportback to get in earlier. Would I take the SB?

Definitely not. I want what I've ordered & am prepared to wait for it. I appreciate it's not always that cut and dried because people have different circumstances

BTW there's nothing wrong with the SB, it just doesn't suit my needs :)

Personally would wait the extra 2 months for the original car 'you' ordered. You've come this far after all!!

Would make sure some sort of freebies as mentioned would be thrown in to soften the blow!!

What was the dealers reason for the delay?? Seems a bit ironic they have a car with 'same' spec and colour waiting in the wings only it's a saloon!!!

Thanks for all the ideas so far!

The delay has to do with the fact that Audi started to offer the saloon last month (Took quite a while to start selling it here :sorrow:) and used the Sportback slots to import more saloons (if they import more than a certain number per month, the must pay extra taxes).
Since it was not available when ordered, i didnt even consider the saloon as an option but now, im thinking about. As for the price, they will match the sportback.
Oh, and the dealer is one of the Audi Centers in São Paulo.
Thanks again!

Actually the wait you are describing (6months) is the time it takes for a saloon at the moment for a factory order. It would seem the dealer was being a bit optomistic!
If you are even considering it, then maybe a sportback is not vital for you, so go for the more attractive saloon (IMO).
The dealer is certainly not trying to palm you off with a saloon, because they are in high demand at the moment.
Give the saloon serious consideration would be by advice.

Lack of rear wiper would annoy me straight away... wait for the one you ordered, but get them to give you something in return for the extra wait!

Reactions: MA3RC
funny, i had a 2006 Civic which had no rear wiper and never missed it once.

Perhaps it's only missed by those drivers who like to pay attention to what's going on around them ;)

If you are going to be happy with a saloon take it but go for some sort of recompense. If its not exactly what you really want then wait. As every time you see a sportsback you'll think "I wish I'd waited"

Dont take a saloon without parkingsensors in the back. If you have those, do it, the saloon looks amazing

After considering both options, I ended up buying the saloon. Managed to get a good deal and really enjoyed how it looks!
Delivery scheduled this friday! :D

Reactions: Psyman79 and Martinbanshee
After considering both options, I ended up buying the saloon. Managed to get a good deal and really enjoyed how it looks!
Delivery scheduled this friday! :D
Nice 1! :thumbs up:

Looking foreword to lots of pics ;):D