What turbo actuator for A3 1.8t?

a318t

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Recently had my car remapped by R-Tech but the figure was less than both myself and them expected. They have told me to fit a new actuator, but what actuator? I'm still waiting for them to reply to my email but in the meantime thought you guys would know.

Obviously the one on the car at present isn't faulty, so what do they mean? Fit a higher performance aftermarket one? if so, what make and model?

My car is a 1999 A3 1.8T engine code AGU

Many thanks for your time

Std one... could be a tired turbo too... K03's have a habit of expiring... blades can bend and other stuff wears... depends whats happening really...

Do you have a plot to post up? tired K03's generally struggle to make boost..

Aftermarket ones (such as the Forge) are very short travel and prone to sticking... make sure its not the turbo first before doing anything else...

<tuffty/>

Std one... could be a tired turbo too... K03's have a habit of expiring... blades can bend and other stuff wears... depends whats happening really...

Do you have a plot to post up? tired K03's generally struggle to make boost..

Aftermarket ones (such as the Forge) are very short travel and prone to sticking... make sure its not the turbo first before doing anything else...

<tuffty/>

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm really lost to be honest. They initially said it was because I had a faulty water temp sensor (which I did). However I'm annoyed that they did their full diagnostics check but didn't at least call me to ask whether id still like it mapped with the faulty sensor (it obviously affected the remap result slightly). But now they are saying I need a new actuator? I'm lost, totally outright lost.....?

Not sure mate... R-Tech know their stuff and I know Niki wouldn't map the car with known faults (as would any decent tuner)... I don't know the specifics mate but assuming your car is struggling to make boost for whatever reason a faulty actuator is plausible,..

What are the current symptoms you are having? Niki wouldn't have said the actuator was faulty if he didn't have grounds to think so...

<tuffty/>

Whatever you do don't get a forge actuator. I was told my actuator was weak from r tech.not disputing with them as when I fitted the forge one I noticed a difference.now a year on I THINK....its causing my surge problems.

Tuffty- how much are standard actuators? Could I not put standard parts into my current forge one?

Not sure where you would get one from... never had the need to... you could try somewhere like CR Turbos...

<tuffty/>

Thanks for your suggestions! I'm really lost to be honest. They initially said it was because I had a faulty water temp sensor (which I did). However I'm annoyed that they did their full diagnostics check but didn't at least call me to ask whether id still like it mapped with the faulty sensor (it obviously affected the remap result slightly). But now they are saying I need a new actuator? I'm lost, totally outright lost.....?

We would not map the car if it was not safe to map, ( we turn away 4-5 car per week because the are not safe to tune) the G62 coolant temp sensor fault makes the the map use a correction table to compensate for the fuel and timing, the gains and losses from these correction are small 4-5bhp +/-. Your coolant temp was running 78deg tops, there optimised output would be at 90-100deg. I would say 90% of the cars we remap and that get remapped have the common G62 fault code anf never no need to refuse a car due to this issue as its only a £25 fix and 5 mins.

We was happy to map the car with the G62 fault as it was only going to effect your mpg, but no worse than it was when you was driving it stock, the main reason for being down on the potential power was/is due to the age and wear on the car as mentioned. The G62 coolant temp fault code was pointed out to you more so because it was there pre and post remap and we didnt want you to think the remap had caused the issues if you ever went to get your codes read afterward.

The actuator is spring weak, the car was down on power a little when it came in around 140bhp "ish" if i remember? we then mapped th car best we could with the hardware which gave a nice torque band but tappered off at the top end due to the actuator opening up on its own merits which has lost you around 15-20bhp on the potential peak bhp numbers.

We added our external spring pre load tester while the car was on the dyno and the boost held nice to 191bhp, showing the rest of the car was spot on and just the high miles on the cars hardware was the limiting factor to making 190bhp.

Again 6 out of 10 AGUs which come in for remaps with 100K+ tend to be around 15-18bhp down on the peak power, most people are happy and stick with a reduced peak hp reading, some go next step and go ko3s.

Jim did mention on the day and when your called back your options for more power at the top end.

You options are:
1, Find a good used oem k03 actuator which has enough spring load life left in it to produce the 190bhp
2, Find a good quality used k03s
3, Get Forge actuator with yellow spring, but more time on the remapping would be needed to set it up correct.

Its up to you how much you want to spend and how much peak power numbers your after, we can only advise you of your options.

Nick

Last edited:
Whatever you do don't get a forge actuator. I was told my actuator was weak from r tech.not disputing with them as when I fitted the forge one I noticed a difference.now a year on I THINK....its causing my surge problems.

Tuffty- how much are standard actuators? Could I not put standard parts into my current forge one?

Cannot buy the OEM actuators new, turbo dynamics sell recon/used units. To get a new actuator you need to buy a new turbo as far as I know.
The Forge actuator with yellow spring need a lot of setting up to get it running spot on, they tend to run better with stage2 ko3s and hybrid applications. Not the best for low boosting ko3 or stage 1 power control.

The best option would be get a good quality low mileage silenced ko3s from a AUQ engine.

The main problem with AGU tuning is there age they are coming on to be 13-14years old and remaps are and can oly be as good as the hardware on the car.

Nick

When you have a good strong actuator you will be seeing curves like this the power holding strong beyond 5000rpm to crack the 190bhp mark. But to get the 190+ mark from the small k03 the whole engine needs to be tip top condition and runnig good fuel. Remember the k03 100% maxed out with the correct supporting hardware will only make 199.9bhp tops.

bora-agu.jpg

We would not map the car if it was not safe to map, ( we turn away 4-5 car per week because the are not safe to tune) the G62 coolant temp sensor fault makes the the map use a correction table to compensate for the fuel and timing, the gains and losses from these correction are small 4-5bhp +/-. Your coolant temp was running 78deg tops, there optimised output would be at 90-100deg. I would say 90% of the cars we remap and that get remapped have the common G62 fault code anf never no need to refuse a car due to this issue as its only a £25 fix and 5 mins.

We was happy to map the car with the G62 fault as it was only going to effect your mpg, but no worse than it was when you was driving it stock, the main reason for being down on the potential power was/is due to the age and wear on the car as mentioned. The G62 coolant temp fault code was pointed out to you more so because it was there pre and post remap and we didnt want you to think the remap had caused the issues if you ever went to get your codes read afterward.

The actuator is spring weak, the car was down on power a little when it came in around 140bhp "ish" if i remember? we then mapped th car best we could with the hardware which gave a nice torque band but tappered off at the top end due to the actuator opening up on its own merits which has lost you around 15-20bhp on the potential peak bhp numbers.

We added our external spring pre load tester while the car was on the dyno and the boost held nice to 191bhp, showing the rest of the car was spot on and just the high miles on the cars hardware was the limiting factor to making 190bhp.

Again 6 out of 10 AGUs which come in for remaps with 100K+ tend to be around 15-18bhp down on the peak power, most people are happy and stick with a reduced peak hp reading, some go next step and go ko3s.

Jim did mention on the day and when your called back your options for more power at the top end.

You options are:
1, Find a good used oem k03 actuator which has enough spring load life left in it to produce the 190bhp
2, Find a good quality used k03s
3, Get Forge actuator with yellow spring, but more time on the remapping would be needed to set it up correct.

Its up to you how much you want to spend and how much peak power numbers your after, we can only advise you of your options.

Nick

Hi Nick. Thanks for noticing the thread and replying :)

Now I can see the full picture and am able to understand what the situation is.

Never doubted you and your team's knowledge or professionalism, just wanted to grasp what was needed in order for me to get the result I desire.

I've just literally found this on ebay, is it an option?

Borg Warner K03 Wastegate Actuator OEM | eBay

R-Tech-Nick:1620530 said:

Cannot buy the OEM actuators new, turbo dynamics sell recon/used units. To get a new actuator you need to buy a new turbo as far as I know.
The Forge actuator with yellow spring need a lot of setting up to get it running spot on, they tend to run better with stage2 ko3s and hybrid applications. Not the best for low boosting ko3 or stage 1 power control.

The best option would be get a good quality low mileage silenced ko3s from a AUQ engine.

The main problem with AGU tuning is there age they are coming on to be 13-14years old and remaps are and can oly be as good as the hardware on the car.

Nick

Cheers nick,I'm booked in with you this Saturday for you to complete my stage 2 map as I didn't have a fmic before.its a AUM engine.been getting a slight surge recently at low revs so hopefully you can sort it for me.

Sorry for jacking the thread