What to use on a 21yr old 205 GTI?

Reaction score
9 months ago I bought a this little beauty as a bit of a project motor, intended for use as a weekend toy and the odd track day blast.

100_0649.JPG

100_0650.JPG

100_0651.JPG

It had an unknown electrical problem and needed some TLC but the shell was in great shape, it had all original parts and had only done 96k (not bad for 21yrs) so at £200 I snapped it up. Since that time it has spent 8 months sat outside my house doing nothing, but finally last weekend i sorted the electrical problem and it started first time which I thought was impressive. It even idled at bang on 900rpm! This has renewed my interest in it and I want to spend some time and effort getting it clean. As I want to practice my hand with my mates PC before attacking my S3 with it, I thought what better way than to try and bring back the Polar White shine!?

This is about the closest pick I have of the dull paintwork (also with her new white rims :) ):

Side.JPG

So my question is, what do I need to do to get the paintwork back in shape? I'm thinking something reasonably aggressive?

Don't worry about the rust on the bonnet, I have a new bonnet to sort that. There's no rust anywhere else, just years of grime!

You're probably looking at Menzerna Power Gloss S34A as your initial compounding polish on perhaps a Sonus Yellow or Meguiars Cutting pad - have 4in and 6in pads ones available although megs don't do 4in I don't think. Rich or Clark might suggest another 4in to compete with the Sonus one though. You may have to do 2 hits with the power gloss until it goes clear in each case. You may need lighting with daylight blocked out to be able to see this happening with the polish. If you had access to gararge that would be perfect.

You would then follow this probably with Menz 106 Final Finish polish on Sonus white or Megs soft buff polishing pads. It might then get extra gloss at the end with menz 85RD FF polish if necessary. You have much work ahead of you but it will be worth it. You'd be well advised to have a good paint gauge at hand to monitor how much you have to work on and how mush you are removing with each hit. This is my estimate based on my limited experience, but I think it's generally in the right direction.

Again, Rich or Clark may want to add their wealth of experience on this one.

There's a cracking restoration of a red 1.9 GTI, possibly a similar age, certaily similar condition, on detailingworld.co.uk. I'll look for the link for that one for you mate and post it up in the next couple of days hopefully. I was reading it only last night believe it or not.

Remember, Rome wasn't built in a fortnight though!!!

Cheers,

JOHN

jr001 - Thanks a lot mate. If I needed any more of a reason to put some time in on it, that thread is it. If I can get half the result that he's got then I'll be well chuffed!

Unfortunately I don't have a paint gauge, and the detail will be under a gazebo type thing outside, so i'll just have to make the best of it.

Mental note - must earn more money to buy house with garage big enough to detail in ;)

Aye, funky it's a cracking story mate. A bit like a lon-lost family member being reunited after 20 years missing!!!!!!!

It might be worth paying someone with paint gauge to give you readings over the car mate, that won'y cost you much at all but will be well worth it.

And we'll even allow you to post a pug on Audi-net. Hope the mods don't mind!:icon_thumright:

A lot of the dullness will be oxidation, which will come off quite easily with the first few passes of the machine; then you'll see what your dealing with in the sound paint. All of John's advice above is sound, you'll probably need to start with something like Menzerna IP/3.02, and if this failed to shift the defects then Power Gloss might be needed, although i would always recommend trying to get away without using it, as it can be hard work, and there is a danger of leaving micromarring when working with it by PC. 106FA or 85RD would be ideal finishing polishes, but as John said, getting some paint readings first would be sensible, as with older cars you never know how many times they've been heavily compounded before. Once all the polishing is done and the paint is back to rude health, I would personally finish with the Jeffs Werkstatt Acrylic system, as it gives a really good wet, glossy look on white, with decent reflectivity to boot. :icon_thumright:

Thanks for the advice Richard.

I'm just waiting for a day off when I can my hands on my mates PC. I'll post up some pic of my progress as and when :)