What size TV...

lol, oh come on that was funny, way to serious for a thread about TV's, lol

As they say Touche

Well didnt know AS was Oxford english, I forgot you live in my birth state, Kent is rather Posh, lol

My Spelling is bad...either that or they are typo's!

I didn't go to specsavers i went to Optical Express! Unfortunately i need glasses :)

G

By the way NHN in your opinion of course how do Sony fair up against other brands??

G

Hi,
Ive just got my own place and im confused as to what size TV would work best there... its going to be about 8 and a half foot from where my head will be to where the screen will be. ( hope that makes sence)
Ive been looking at a panasonic 37 inch LCD ( TX37LZD85 )

Some people have said " get bigger "
Is this always best?
My budget is 800 MAX i just want the best i can ( doesnt everybody )

Any thoughts people???

Many thanks

Paul

Well, you can always found the best LCD TV for that amount. All you have to do is make a little research. I think 32" is just alright for the distance that you specified. I remember somebody advised me that the correct size is that your head will not move around as you watch your telly if you get what I mean.

This thread is probably waay OT anyway but i'll throw in my 2p

Last year my Bro baught himself a Panasonic Viera 42" Plasma (42PX70 iirc). After looking at various models he settled on it because the price was pretty decent, it looked good, seemed to get decent reviews, and the processing filters for watching SD material were top notch. Even in currys with their crappy feeds, the Viera was making a much better job of displaying the SD material than the other kit in the store. He doesnt currently have HD Sky or Cable, so the good SD viewing was a must.

Around the same time a relative was looking to buy a similar set, we suggested the Viera, however they decided they'd buy sony, and picked up a Sony LCD set which was similar cash to the Viera. They got us round to install it and i was amazed at how BAD the picture quality actually was. Again they had no HD material, just a Sky box, and unlike the Viera, which makes a pretty damn good job of SD, the Sony set was horribly macroblocked, with a lot of noise and nasty motion blurring. I would imagine in HD it'd have faired a bit better, but to me the image wasnt acceptable, and had it been in my livingroom it'd have been getting returned.

If i were you i'd go down the Panasonic route. The PX70 is a few generations old now, and the newer sets probably offer even better value. Take a look at the 42PZ80, should do the job perfectly with your budget.

Its funny you say this cause I'm hearing better things about Panasonic screens almost daily, so yeah I'd say definitely worth a look mate, yeah that was my gripe with most of the Sony's mainly cause the SD images were so absolutely crap, really were, also when I checked the more expensive & supposedly better motionflow 200hz tv against a much lesser model the lesser one was hell of alot better.

IVE GOT A FULL DEFINITION 42 INCH PANASONIC AND SERIOUS THE PICTURE WITH BLUERAY PLAYSTATION AND FULL AFTERMARKET SURROUND SOUND IS UNBELEIVABLE DONT GET HD READY PAY A LITTLE MORE AND GET FULL DIGITAL 1900 PIXALS BY 1200 I THINK YOU WONT REGRET IT GOT MINE FROM SELFRIGES WITH A 5 YEAR GARRENTEE WEW HEW OH AND PANASONIC PIC ****** ON SONY I HAD VOUCHERS COULD OF HAD NEARY ANY TV IN THE SHOP AND PIC WISE I CHOSE THE PANASONIC FULL DIGITAL

IVE GOT A FULL DEFINITION 42 INCH PANASONIC AND SERIOUS THE PICTURE WITH BLUERAY PLAYSTATION AND FULL AFTERMARKET SURROUND SOUND IS UNBELEIVABLE DONT GET HD READY PAY A LITTLE MORE AND GET FULL DIGITAL 1900 PIXALS BY 1200 I THINK YOU WONT REGRET IT GOT MINE FROM SELFRIGES WITH A 5 YEAR GARRENTEE WEW HEW OH AND PANASONIC PIC ****** ON SONY I HAD VOUCHERS COULD OF HAD NEARY ANY TV IN THE SHOP AND PIC WISE I CHOSE THE PANASONIC FULL DIGITAL

you could have saved some of the vouchers and buy a new keyboard with a working 'caps lock' :p

what aftermarket surround sound is it?

seriously, some of the posts in this thread is too good...LOL

up yours poo pooo :laugh: its an onkyo 5.1 surround with subwoofer, i got the sound going from the digital from my blue ray ps3 and the sound and tv picture is awesome the sound system was 400 from selfriges its good enough for me

Meh, i dont care about all the big named brands, ive got a 32" tv on my wall in my bedroom, £270 from argos, good for tv and xbox...more money for mods on the audi!

Meh, i dont care about all the big named brands, ive got a 32" tv on my wall in my bedroom, £270 from argos, good for tv and xbox...more money for mods on the audi!

same applies for cars. It's where your interest lies :)

someone will tell you the same thing regarding the audi and mods.

Ok well I got my new Samsung 7 Series led tv, UE40B7020, its actually not bad at all, yes its ****** thin to say the least, but its also got some weight to it & very sturdy so I suspect a very well made chassis indeed to support the screen tech etc given its not flexible as such, solid as rock unlike some lcd tv's have been in past & no I dont try to bend, just when you lift them you can tell if they're well made.

Anyway cut long story short as I'm not a review site, it has a fantastic HD image given only tested on bbc hd & ch4 hd so far but already see major improvements on this, the dark areas are not grainy anymore unlike the top of range tosh, samsungs, sony, hitachi etc were given tested most, I cant see any grainy bits on hd at all, god knows how good bluray would be, but I'm not a bluray guy tbh given I think its to little to late with the web changing daily anyway.

SD is actually very good & if I'm honest out of the box without any major settings changed its ****** good, the led's certainly make a dramatic difference, impressed so far, but I'm known to be anal about perfection in things so give me time & I'll fault it, but so far so good, can recommend it to anyone.

The 100hz system is actually the best I've seen so far tbh for most moving images, now we all know SD football is terrible anyway on lcd's, I did catch a recording of football & it wasnt that good tbh but was in store at richer sounds so cant really count that, but give me time & I'll report back from a live feed on SD/HD sooner or later.

Rigged upto the pc is very good & didnt think wouldnt be tbh, cause its got similar tech to the 9 series lcd I had before that was truly a stunning screen, but to big as only 46/55 sizes, where as this is 40 so very happy.

As always though I did notice some panel imperfections from the all so well known clouding alot of new lcd's have from manufacture, its very poor show from the brands tbh that QC doesnt pick this up, but on this set its not noticeable unless you actually change the inputs & then its only seen for few seconds when it goes dark between input swap, with images you cant see anything wrong at all, so farrrrrrrrr

Menus are quicker & the input swap is also quicker, maybe samsung are actually using some loaf & listening to us actual users/buyers now.

One thing that really is welcoming is I noticed you can set per input specifics for brightness etc, so much missed this, Tosh didnt have, useless given I use for pc aswell for work, but now have it so alls good.

I did update the firmware to 1006 & didnt notice differences but guess it wasnt there for nothing so must have made some changes.

Damn it now its so thin I have to buy new much thinner wall bracket to really give it the look it deserves, lol.

I'll update if anything bugs me, but this is best on market now I reckon, but awaits the 8/9 series replacements to follow cause 8 series in US has 240hz where as 7 series I have is 100hz

Last word, I'm not sure if it is hugely better than the 9 series that for me was the best screen I'd seen with led backlighting, but its definitely very good, then again its only been 2 days tbh so I reckon when settings have been done fully & played with a bit it will be a resounding yes its top dog.

PS. Damn seems I am a review site cause this post has elongated slightly, lol.