what rights do I have?

slowcoach3

Reaction score
You're an intelligent bunch, does anybody know what rights one has if it turns out that the car you bought from a private seller has innumerable faults and was a category c write off, when asked about any claims etc I was assured there was none. Also lied about things in the service history :( I'm guessing that I'm not going to get very far but thought I'd ask!!!

Sold as seen with private I would imagine. Should of done you're homework before buying instead of after.....

as above, but I suppose "if" you can find or still have the original advert or a screenshot that doesn't mention anything untoward e.g "lovely example of a car, no prior damage, FSH... stuff like that and in fact he lied. Im pretty sure something can be done as its being mis-sold.

Reactions: slowcoach3
If the crash was before he owned the car surely he could play dumb and say he didn't know. Or maybe he didn't know it had been and been had the same as you....

Is it an S3? How much you pay if u don't mind me asking? Not too much I hope....

Cheers, I'll get looking! Homework was done, the car/hpi checker thingy showed it as being clean but subsequently found it's not.

Nah, it's not an s3, I already have one of those! This is my next project :)

I always get them to write and sign a description including no damage repair, and no unknown faults etc

Can't imagine it helps much but makes me feel better...

Last edited:
Sorry man looks like bad news. Do you have a copy of the ad?

Also.was he a dealer? Where did you buy it. He may be a dealer saying he is private so search any history you can. Google his phone number to scan for ads etc. If he trades you will have more support.

Hpi is only effective with recorded damage ,,,joe blogs can crash,repair to his hearts content...maybe a piece of 4x2 tatted across his head .?? Won't help , but will make you feel better lol :banghead:

It should have said on the registration document if it was Cat C

Cheers, I'll get looking! Homework was done, the car/hpi checker thingy showed it as being clean but subsequently found it's not.

who did you use for the checks ?
iv had clean checks before on a cav turbo turned out to be a cat D and i got 1700 back from the company thr AA for stateing it was crash free when it had been on the list for 3 years

This doesn't make sense dude.

If the vehicle was a cat C then it would have been recorded as such via a VIC. Did it actually get written off through the insurance or did someone have a bump and got it repaired out of their own pocket?

Some very useful information here -

Citizens Advice - The car you bought is a write-off

If the car was a Cat C, it means that the accident was claimed through insurance and when it was repaired for the road it would definitely have a VIC test and most likely an autolign test. All of this will be brought up on a proper HPI check. How did you find out the car was accident damaged if you don't mind me asking?

If the HPI check came back incorrect and you have payed for it, you need to speak to the company you HPI checked with, however if the car was Cat C this will be written on the bottom of the V5 logbook, which needs to be check before sale.

Im sorry to hear this has happened bud, but this is the legal side and hope it helps.