what is an s4 comparable to?

dervag

Reaction score
looking for a new car...wanting to spend about 5k and get something really fast..on paper the s4 looks like it would keep up with things like e36 m3, but do they handle well ?
any good on a track ?

never knew anything about them before but they look like an option

or any other reccomendations for a car for about 5k that will do 0-60 in under 6 secs and be good on a track ?

I'm thinking you might struggle to find a B6 S4 for under £5k.....

This is probably in the wrong section, maybe more useful in the B5 forum. Also for £5k you will struggle to find a DECENT B5 S4. They are excellent cars however, the 2.7 biturbo engine is a gem.

I'm thinking you might struggle to find a B6 S4 for under £5k.....

Dude i know things are bad in the country at the moment and cars are cheaper but you wouldn't find a B6 S4 for under £5k or £6.5k

All of the S4's on the first few pages are B5.

You CAN get decent B5 S4's for 5grand and they are very capable cars.

The 4wd should make it pretty quick on track, with the only downside being that you cant get the tail out fun you can have in a RWD car like an M3. Tail out fun doesnt make for a fast track car though, so it shouldnt be an issue!

The B5 S4 is a far more modern car than the E36, and this can be seen by sitting in one quite clearly. E36 was released in 91 and phased out in 97, whereas the B5 was released in 95 and not replaced until 2001. They are also much better in terms of rust. A mate of mine has recently purchased a E36 M3, and he went thru a LOT of cars which were apparently in good nick, but on inspection were rotten. B5's are fully galvanised and the only places i've seen rust are on the front wings, usually from stone chip damage, and on the bootlid where a bit of trim rubs against it.

The B5 suspension is a pretty advanced multilink affair compared with the M3's mac-struts, and they weigh a comparable amount to the M3 too

I personally dont like the revvy nature of the M3 engine either. Theres no real punch from it, as with any engine making silly bhp/litre, whereas the S4 lump being turbocharged gives you a nice wall of torque much lower in the revs, and is much easier to tune.

Having been in both cars, i personally prefer the S4, although it does need a chip to get it upto M3 Evo power levels

The obvious choice for a performance car for that kind of money would be Impeza WRX or Mitsubishi Evo as you'd get a newer one for £5K than anything Audi but you might not like that kind of thing.

You could get an early TT 225 quattro then get it remapped to around 260bhp. That should be fairly quick and cheaper to run but it depends if you can get away with a 2 seater.

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...icleYearOfManufacture=1999&vehicleRegLetter=V

I think the S3, S4 Audi's will always hold a strong price due to the following they have from enthusiasts so it would be difficult to find a bargin.

Good luck finding something, it's a buyers market at the moment.

Having been in both cars, i personally prefer the S4, although it does need a chip to get it upto M3 Evo power levels
The thing is it's not just about power ...

In the recent snow and ice (which is an extreme case of a wet greasy road) the quattro of the S4 (B5, B6 or B7) makes it easy to make progress safely, but the RWD of the M3 makes making progress (in the direction you WANT to go) just about impossible.

Power that you can't use is interesting but ultimately pointless.

sorry, I meant B5, didn't read the forum title or something properly :uhm:

The obvious choice for a performance car for that kind of money would be Impeza WRX or Mitsubishi Evo as you'd get a newer one for £5K than anything Audi but you might not like that kind of thing.

that's it, I've thought about them but they're a bit OTT for me...