What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

I tried T-Cut, plus a few other things on the window surrounds and roof rails a few years ago. No joy at all. Going to get the window surrounds wrapped at some point as they look pretty shabby now

Reactions: northpole and swisstony
I tried T-Cut, plus a few other things on the window surrounds and roof rails a few years ago. No joy at all. Going to get the window surrounds wrapped at some point as they look pretty shabby now
I'll see how long it takes for it to go back to looking bad... I'll report back on it but mine weren't that bad to begin with plus the chrome window surrounds on mine are wrapped to such a close match to the car paint at first thought they were painted... but they are wrapped. I found a corner where the wrap wasn't stretched down good enough... some heat and me pushing it on sorted thay out.

Reactions: Rob Avant
Are the window surrounds actually proper chrome, I think they are?

Are the window surrounds actually proper chrome, I think they are?
I think they are chrome plated or a similar alloy. If they were actual chrome then normal chrome polish/cleaner would bring them up but I think they "look" like chrome but may be a different finish hence why most of the cleaning products dont seem to do diddly squat. The ones on the RS are different again as they seem to be a silver finish ( flat ) almost satin ..

Reactions: Rob Avant
I just put the modified alarm siren on (mod = external batterypack) but since i didn't charge the batteries first, I'll have to wait for the car to charge them up. I also cleaned the connector to the tank flap as i noticed that sometimes it wasn't closing... Now there isn't much there that can cause it to not work so I tried to clean the connector first, upon locking the car i heard it lock itself and when i opened it right after i could hear it unlocking... another little thing I can scrap off the list :thumbs up:

Reactions: Gmac
Pretty sure they are chrome plated at best. They look too milky and don’t clean up with Autosol either
I tried some Rupes DA coarse yesterday on a microfibre cloth, it did "help" for sure, but the results weren't overly fantastic. Just did a small area under the driver wingmirror.
I'll probably do all of it when / if summer ever actually arrives in the UK lol

Reminds me, I need to do both my wiper arms as they are dulling a bit now, but they should come up fine with one of the many polishes I have in the garage.

Just finished cleaning the exterior of the car again it wasn't as massively dirty, so i stopped at a jetwash blew of the dust, paid some extra attention to the calipers and the inside of the wheel arches, drove home than gave the car a quick detailer go over with a microfibre cloth and gave the tlres the much needed tire dressing.

Removed the boost pressure sensor for a quick clean. 170 BRD.

Nice and easy under the passenger headlight and 2 torx. Quick blast with electrical cleaner, tiny bit of grease on the O ring and back in. Went back in nicely, no boost leaks. The O ring was in perfect condition, took a little wiggle to get the sensor out, first time out since 2006 I suspect so fair play.

Didn't look like much on the sensor, but only took 5 mins anyway.
I do the same sensor on my 1.9 AWX B5.5 Passat once a year just because - and on that car it's even easier...2 mins lol.

Reactions: northpole
Removed the boost pressure sensor for a quick clean. 170 BRD.

Nice and easy under the passenger headlight and 2 torx. Quick blast with electrical cleaner, tiny bit of grease on the O ring and back in. Went back in nicely, no boost leaks. The O ring was in perfect condition, took a little wiggle to get the sensor out, first time out since 2006 I suspect so fair play.

Didn't look like much on the sensor, but only took 5 mins anyway.
I do the same sensor on my 1.9 AWX B5.5 Passat once a year just because - and on that car it's even easier...2 mins lol.
OOOO need to know more, I was under the impression that I’d have to remove the bumper to get at the sensor. Mine is under there too. So are you saying that you can get to it without removing the headlight? I take it you go in from the top?

@Gmac he's got a different engine than you so if you are lucky you might be able to do it from the top but the 170 is a 2 litre diesel engine your engine takes up way more space. but if it's in the same corner you might be able to do it from the top.

Yep dead easy on my BRD. Behind and down a bit from the back of the passenger headlight. The power steering fluid rubber line runs right behind the sensor on mine, I cable tied it out of the way whilst I did it. All done from the top, on mine it's basically located on the top of the passenger side intercooler.

Reactions: Gmac and northpole
I've been opening up the throttle body and have stopped now as I don't think there is anymore to be gained taking of any more material.
It does appear to rev more freely and the economy has improved slightly.

I want to port the inlet side of the turbo next still using the power drill and flap wheels, although I won't remove the turbo I'll ensure nothing gets in there by stuffing it with some microfibre cloths and covering up the MAF on the air filter.
IMG 20240424 200841544
IMG 20240424 200848520

Sorry about the second image being out of focus as I was rushing to get in and see the Liverpool game, wishing I hadn't bothered now...
And I did give it very good clean inside the throttle body and outside to get rid of all the metal dust before refitting and doing the manual TBA without VCDS
The third image is some of the material removed from both sides.

Attachments

• IMG_20240424_202141682.jpg
    IMG_20240424_202141682.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
I've been opening up the throttle body and have stopped now as I don't think there is anymore to be gained taking of any more material.
It does appear to rev more freely and the economy has improved slightly.

I want to port the inlet side of the turbo next still using the power drill and flap wheels, although I won't remove the turbo I'll ensure nothing gets in there by stuffing it with some microfibre cloths and covering up the MAF on the air filter.View attachment 275613View attachment 275614

Sorry about the second image being out of focus as I was rushing to get in and see the Liverpool game, wishing I hadn't bothered now...
And I did give it very good clean inside the throttle body and outside to get rid of all the metal dust before refitting and doing the manual TBA without VCDS
The third image is some of the material removed from both sides.
the amount of aluminium bits that are everywhere.... I would've taken it off , closed the bonnet and do it well away from the car... the aluminium particals you've found are just the bigger ones you can see with your eyes... there is bound to be a ton more that aren't visible... so might i suggest you do an engine flush and clear the oil pickup mesh filter just to make sure the engine is free from any of the aluminium shavings you've missed.

I used to blueprint engines and port the in- and outlets on the heads... and found that even with blocking the ports off and using a cleaner wasn't enough to remove the really fine aluminium shavings the eye doesn't spot. I would actually chuck them in the parts washer, or the dish washer. The latter was depending on the parts location, i didn't always finish doing the jobs in the garage, sometimes i would take them inside and finish the work off inside my home office( because it was warmer). And for those of you that don't know the best parts washer is the dishwasher, put on a long hot wash... the heads will comeout looking like new and the hot steam will make sure all the water evaporates upon removal. It's just a right PITA to clean the dishwasher afterwards. especially the filter and the drain need to be cleaned after if you want to use it's normal daily task.

A bit misleading those photos as I did it in the garage, I only put it on there air intake for the photos before cleaning up in the garage and refitting.
You're right about those aluminium particles, they got everywhere.

And yep, if I had a dishwasher and used it for engine parts I'd be living out of the garage once my good lady found out...

A bit misleading those photos as I did it in the garage, I only put it on there air intake for the photos before cleaning up in the garage and refitting.

And yep, if I had a dishwasher and used it for engine parts I'd be living out of the garage once my good lady found out...
Lol my wife didn't care don't have one now as we downsized a few times and in the end there was no space for it anywhere...

It did serve me well though best parts washer ever :)

I did my inlet manifold once in the dishwasher... because I am well hard

Ok what I actually meant was , I did it in the dishwasher when I knew my wife was out and afterwards cleaned up and hid all evidence :)

• Haha
Reactions: ttelracs, Rob Avant, northpole and 2 others