What have you done to your Audi A4 B7 today?

Looking increasingly unlikely that I’ll get any thing done on the old bus for a few months now.
Currently stuck in cardiology unit waiting for an emergency operation, not ideal but out of my control .
Hopefully be able stay logged in from my bed with laptop.
Allway a challenge in life around every corner.

Lots of stuff to do when I get home.

• Sad
Reactions: boffin486, B7Tourer, Rob Avant and 1 other person
Well all I can say is let's hope you come out better than you go in.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Looking increasingly unlikely that I’ll get any thing done on the old bus for a few months now.
Currently stuck in cardiology unit waiting for an emergency operation, not ideal but out of my control .

Hope the op goes well Rob! All the best for a speedy recovery!

Reactions: northpole and Charlie Farley
Thanks chap , yep hopefully will be ok , wasn’t really planning on having a heart bypass to be honest , just came out of the blue last week, something to do with a damaged artery , not a blockage and it’s been recommended to bypass it all together so I’ll be go to go for another 25 years.
Cheers
Rob

Reactions: Dan_G, TOM.S, ttelracs and 2 others
****.... well fingers crossed for you, you old duffer :) Cant be too careful with the old ticker so wishing you a speedy recovery. Sent you a pm but guess you are slightlky tied up !!

just seen the pm chap, yes to it.
currenly bored out of my brain stuck in flippin hospital, doesnt do ones mental state of mind or back side any favours.

Reactions: northpole
just seen the pm chap, yes to it.
currenly bored out of my brain stuck in flippin hospital, doesnt do ones mental state of mind or back side any favours.

Dont blame you ...just step away from those car part buying websites . Bored or drunk interweb shopping is dangerous for the wallet :)

• Haha
Reactions: northpole, Gmac and Charlie Farley

As above… sorry to hear you’re not well mate.
Hope all goes well with your timing belt change, get them to do a full service while you’re in. Oil, filer, plugs etc. You’ll be firing on all cylinders in no time :thumbs up:

Reactions: Charlie Farley, swisstony and northpole
Didn't do much to it today, checked all the normal fluids, tire pressure, and it's all oke... so nothing to do other than drive or clean it... i chose the former

Reactions: Charlie Farley

I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery Rob.

A few more bit arrived today.
Some nice new Fuchs ester-based 5w40 oil and an engine support, the new oil cooler/filter, and new coolant should be here tomorrow just in time to get the2 jobs done over easter weekend. :thumbs up:

I've never had the need of an engine support beam before and I doubt it will be used more than once so went with a cheapo item , and to be honest its looks really good quality for £50 .
Most certainly not a flimsy bit of kit and probably way over-engineered for the task I have in mind, still if it makes the job a bit easier then that's fine by me.:yahoo:

So I'm getting their slowly and now its flippin' raining again, is there no end to this wet depressing weather?:grumpy:
View attachment 275068View attachment 275069
Didn't know Fortnums did Fuchs, never seen it there...

• Haha

Not good, wishing you all the best and a good recovery.

thanks chaps, currently laid up in st georges waiting for this flippin bypass op in the next few days, not really overly keen on it but really just need to get done out of the way.

Reactions: Dan_G and northpole
thanks chaps, currently laid up in st georges waiting for this flippin bypass op in the next few days, not really overly keen on it but really just need to get done out of the way.
Sorry to read this, wishing you a speedy recovery, your be in good hands,

Reactions: Charlie Farley and northpole
So did some sort of maintenance on the car,among other things I removed the vac pump to clean it up and give it fresh o rings/seals. But right now I'm not even sure if i can put it back in the car. Look at the state of it.
PS the was in running condition prior to removal, with no codes popping up, or any kind of running issues , its only due an oil change filters,and a couple of non engine related parts.
My question is can this vac pump be saved or should i go a search for a replacement one?

Attachments

• 20240330_064828.jpg
    20240330_064828.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 35
  • 20240330_064859.jpg
    20240330_064859.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
  • 20240330_064840.jpg
    20240330_064840.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
New gasket and put it back i have seen way worse and still they worked without a problem.

Reactions: TOM.S
On the positive side, I removed and cleaned out the throttle body and there is now much less resistance when moving the throttle body flap now all the build up of oil has been removed. I also used the power drill and flap wheel to clean it out a bit too. Not too many images but you get the picture.

On the negative, I was playing around with the connections to the fuel pump and think I've blown my pump control module as I can now only get the pump to run using a 'remote' battery. No fuses blown, replaced both 641 relays and wish I had known these had a fuel pump module as that's the only electronic piece left between the fuse and the plug connecting the fuel pump. On the Mk5 Golf GTI I had it was located once you unscrewed the hatch covering the pump, with these I now know I need to unscrew the allen bolts to find. I'll order another in the morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20240331_130748754_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240331_130748754_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240331_141933423_HDR (3).jpg
    IMG_20240331_141933423_HDR (3).jpg
    858.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240331_141939910_HDR (1).jpg
    IMG_20240331_141939910_HDR (1).jpg
    871.7 KB · Views: 25
New gasket and put it back i have seen way worse and still they worked without a problem.
As per @northpole, both mine were way worse. Give them a good clean up, refit the seals and new gasket and enjoy your new found braking power. One of mine was so bad I had to pour the oil out of it which explained why the braking was so poor. This is how well mine cleaned up afterwards.

Attachments

• IMG_20231108_185520471 (1).jpg
    IMG_20231108_185520471 (1).jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 29
Very very sorry to hear that Rob - get well soon - you are an inspiration to all of us. I haven't seen this news for a few days, since my father died yesterday evening. That's the way it goes and life gets in the way. The heartless boss I had didn't even say, 'sorry for your loss'. Anyways no matter, I said nothing, but the top echelon got wind through a pal and by god they took it seriously. I was very touched. Our old cars take our mind off things sometimes. Kinda renews your faith. Anyways, get well soon again guru, we need you:thumbs up:

Reactions: swisstony and northpole
Sorry to read this, wishing you a speedy recovery, your be in good hands,
Thanks guys, just about to wheeled off for this bypass op,
Will catch up in a few days

Reactions: ttelracs, Gmac and northpole
We all hope you come out stronger and better than when you went in... Good luck and tell them: Don't F$#% it up! I got things to do.

I think I can safely say this is the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20240404_090759346.jpg
    IMG_20240404_090759346.jpg
    994.1 KB · Views: 31
jup that has been on the BBQ way to long... Hope the part isn't to expensive, but once replaced it should be fine again.
I swapped out the one from the other 2WD one and it didn't prime. After a couple of hours of phaffing, swapping of fuses and even pulling the 614 relays (why not put them under the steering wheel ARGH), still nothing. Eventually I thought there must be a hard code stored so I disconnected the battery for 15 mins, reconnected and it primed and started. So problem solved and another fuel pump module ordered on Ebay.
If new £145 'ish, eBay £20-40...

Wishing you all the best Rob, and look forward to seeing you back in the room soon.
Just a wash today and a nice layer of Collinite 845 Insulator wax.
That was it :welcoming: all ready for next weeks rain. The rain in the world falls mainly on....the UK

I just washed the car, a bucket of water with a dirt seperator and a microfibre cloth... i already did the ceramic coating a month back and found out that eversince i did it the dirt only collects when It has rained and the rain is collecting the dust that has been sitting on the car, or if driven the tires fling dirty sandy water onto the car... most runs off some stays behind... but just a small bucket with the dirt seperator is enough to clean the car. so all that extra work i did last month is paying off.

Reactions: swisstony
I just washed the car, a bucket of water with a dirt seperator and a microfibre cloth... i already did the ceramic coating a month back and found out that eversince i did it the dirt only collects when It has rained and the rain is collecting the dust that has been sitting on the car, or if driven the tires fling dirty sandy water onto the car... most runs off some stays behind... but just a small bucket with the dirt seperator is enough to clean the car. so all that extra work i did last month is paying off.
What ceramic coat do you use? I've only ever ceramic coated wheels.
I took the Subaru for a run out today, popped down to Thruxton. they had the Supercar day experiences on - Tiff was there with a BMW doing hot laps. He said to me once....."The trouble with the youngsters these days is that I just can't scare them" hahaha
I only ever go to observe, the prices they charge.....to me just not worth it.

Reactions: northpole and ttelracs
Gyeon q2m ceramic coating... the stuff is expensive but I got it for free from a neighbour, as a thank you for fixing his wife's car when they were stuck. (Yeah he is into car detailing)

I also have an extra coating ontop of that, from t-cut it's the finisher and it's a 2 month lasting coating in bad weather 3 to 4 months in dry times. Applies the same way and is a more watered down version compared to the Gyeon ceramic coating.

Gyeon q2m ceramic coating... the stuff is expensive but I got it for free from a neighbour, as a thank you for fixing his wife's car when they were stuck. (Yeah he is into car detailing)

I also have an extra coating ontop of that, from t-cut it's the finisher and it's a 2 month lasting coating in bad weather 3 to 4 months in dry times. Applies the same way and is a more watered down version compared to the Gyeon ceramic coating.
Nice, gotta love Gyeon products....amongst the best out there.

i haven't done the wheels with the ceramic coating, reason being I 've planned to DIY refurb them so best to not do it until i've done the refurb.

I'll most likely coat mine with GTechniq C5 Wheel Armour.
Lasts 10-12 months realistically. They boast up to 2 years....load of old toshocks!

Yeah I don't trust the 1 year coating on the bodywork either that is why I top it up with the cheaper stuff.

Collected my set of s4 wheels yesterday from platinum powder coating based just outside aberdeen airport - Dyce. Very happy with the result and looking forward to getting the summer tyres on them and getting them on the old b7. Going to diy the centre caps that i have so hopefully they dont let the side down.
IMG 3056
IMG 3057

• Love
Reactions: boffin486, Charlie Farley, Rob Avant and 1 other person
What ceramic coat do you use? I've only ever ceramic coated wheels.
I took the Subaru for a run out today, popped down to Thruxton. they had the Supercar day experiences on - Tiff was there with a BMW doing hot laps. He said to me once....."The trouble with the youngsters these days is that I just can't scare them" hahaha
I only ever go to observe, the prices they charge.....to me just not worth it.
What scooby have you got ?

As for ceramic coating on body work , you have to realise that for 99% of cars out there it is simply not worth it . I am talking about the proper stuff that costs a fortune and is applied using one of those special pad applicators. It really is only worth it when you have had the car detailed and the bodywork is as best as it can get. Rest of the time the cars out there will have fairly substandard paintwork which will just not get the benefit of ceramic coatings.

A bit like @northpole suggesting you get the ceramic coating on the wheels that @Gmac just had done. They are freshly refurbished so an ideal time to do it.

I suggest thatif you want the benefits of ceramic coatings without the expense and on a freshly washed car then go down the ceramic wax route. It provides an incredibal amount of protection, water just beads off the paint work and it makes for a much easier wash everytime. I use this stuff.

Autobead Titanium Ceramic Wax 100ml​

Around £50-60 and you just apply it with a foam applicator and then buff off and it lasts for ages. For example I put this stuff on last year ( November ) and when I went to wash my RS last week it was still beading :)

oww the car beads alright the thing that made me add an extra layer(the t-cut finisher as it is a cheaper ceramic wax) is the way how the roof of the avant has a slight dip in it in the back... aka water stays on... it doesn't collect into a puddle with the ceramic coating, nope the water just beads, and sits there... now my car is parked in a windy spot so it gets hit with dust all the time... before the ceramic coating (or is it a wax? probably the latter) it wouldn't bead, and held on to dirt a lot worse.

next time i do it I'll use my buffer to apply it.. it should help smooth the products surface.

What scooby have you got ?

As for ceramic coating on body work , you have to realise that for 99% of cars out there it is simply not worth it . I am talking about the proper stuff that costs a fortune and is applied using one of those special pad applicators. It really is only worth it when you have had the car detailed and the bodywork is as best as it can get. Rest of the time the cars out there will have fairly substandard paintwork which will just not get the benefit of ceramic coatings.

A bit like @northpole suggesting you get the ceramic coating on the wheels that @Gmac just had done. They are freshly refurbished so an ideal time to do it.

I suggest thatif you want the benefits of ceramic coatings without the expense and on a freshly washed car then go down the ceramic wax route. It provides an incredibal amount of protection, water just beads off the paint work and it makes for a much easier wash everytime. I use this stuff.

Autobead Titanium Ceramic Wax 100ml​

Around £50-60 and you just apply it with a foam applicator and then buff off and it lasts for ages. For example I put this stuff on last year ( November ) and when I went to wash my RS last week it was still beading :)

To be honest I tend to use quick detailers, great for pop but don't last long...but then it gets washed regularly. I do like Collinite 915 Marque D'Elegance topped off with Collinite 845 Insulator wax, a nice combo that lasts about 3 months. The car will then see a Garage Therapy reset shampoo and it all starts again.
I crack out the Rupes once a year, erasing any marring I've done over the year which really isn't any / much.

The scooby is a 2007 WRX STi Spec D....the D is for discreet. Probably only about 90 left on the roads now according to howmanyleft.co.uk
I flew to Scotland in 2012 to pick it up on 21k miles.
One of only 300 made, but sadly they aren't numbered. All are Crystal Grey in colour.
To the untrained eye it looks like a WRX as it has the WRX spoiler, silver Enkei wheels instead of gold, and black interior, no window tints.

To the trained eye it has the rear arch extensions "Widetrack" and the gold Brembo calipers....STi traits.
So it's a full cream 6speed STi, but in sort of WRX clothing....and in a world where you're judged by your spoiler...it makes for some very disgruntled competition lol
Fully forged and mapped to 340bhp, and a very nice 410 lb ft.
Now on 108k miles.

Reactions: ttelracs and northpole
The scooby is a 2007 WRX STi Spec D....the D is for discreet. Probably only about 90 left on the roads now according to howmanyleft.co.uk
I flew to Scotland in 2012 to pick it up on 21k miles.
One of only 300 made, but sadly they aren't numbered. All are Crystal Grey in colour.
To the untrained eye it looks like a WRX as it has the WRX spoiler, silver Enkei wheels instead of gold, and black interior, no window tints.

To the trained eye it has the rear arch extensions "Widetrack" and the gold Brembo calipers....STi traits.
So it's a full cream 6speed STi, but in sort of WRX clothing....and in a world where you're judged by your spoiler...it makes for some very disgruntled competition lol
Fully forged and mapped to 340bhp, and a very nice 410 lb ft.
Now on 108k miles.
Superb and a very nice model indeed. So blobeye and luckily before they went silly with the hatchback. 300 run makes it rare indeed, shame you didnt get the usual plaque in front of the gear gaitor. But sounds very nice indeed, guess it is still a red top ?

Superb and a very nice model indeed. So blobeye and luckily before they went silly with the hatchback. 300 run makes it rare indeed, shame you didnt get the usual plaque in front of the gear gaitor. But sounds very nice indeed, guess it is still a red top ?
Yep, red inlet manifold and red STi on the TMIC etc. The shape is Hawkeye, by far my favourite!
It's very unrefined, pretty agricultural if you like...you have to drive IT or it will drive YOU lol.
It doesn't like being reversed....it just wants to go forwards hahahah

It has DCCD (Driver controlled centre diff) which is another STi thing, it allows you to bias power to the rear more / lock the rear wheels...but that day I fishtailed out from a roundabout in the wet....left it in auto DCCD setting ever since. Auto setting is about 35% front and 65% rear...something like that.

Reactions: northpole and swisstony