What happens to engine response when using paddles in dynamic mode?

Drew S3

Reaction score
Hi, had the S3 saloon now for 7mths, bought new with a few extras such as Nogaro Blue paint, S tronic, Super Sports Seats, black pack, privacy glass, front / rear sensors (comfort pack) LED headlights and satnav.

My question is, What happens when in dynamic mode when using paddles or shifting to manual mode?

As when shifting from S to D changes the engine/gearbox response from aggressive to auto does the paddle shifting also change engine response, making it less responsive than when in just S mode (dynamic full beans)?

Reactions: BigD80
One thing to consider, which I had only discovered last week after some testing, is that if you're using 'manual mode' you have to make sure you're in the correct 'auto' setting first.

I'll explain,

Previously I had thought the S-tronic had 3 separate modes, D, S and M.

However, there is actually 4 different modes. Think of them as, D, S, DM and SM.

When in 'D' you will have the 'comfort' mode throttle response, retarded engine timing and slower gear changes.

If at this point, (driving in 'D') you use the paddles or slide the gear selector left to engage 'M', you will STILL have the 'comfort' settings enabled.

If however, you FIRST select 'S' mode either by the 'Drive Select' button or pulling the selector down, and THEN use the paddles or slide the gear selector left to engage 'M' ('SM'), then you will benefit from a very fast throttle response, advanced engine timing and quick gear changes! (Even though the dashboard still says the same (just an 'M')).

(P.s. When in 'SM', if you lift off around 5k RPM whilst on full throttle, you will feel a huge 'throttle response' difference, I nearly gave myself 'whiplash'!)

Try it, and you will be shocked/pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: davc, encee and Chris5
Yeah, I had the feeling this is how it was set up, so basically what ever mode l am in before shifting to paddles that's the engine/gearbox response l will have.

The problem is l have been driving around using dynamic, but as this mode over revs for normal everyday driving, l have been tapping the gear lever back dropping back into D and then using the paddles. So basically not getting the full beans from the engine unless l change to paddles whilst in S mode on gearbox.

Yeah, I had the feeling this is how it was set up, so basically what ever mode l am in before shifting to paddles that's the engine/gearbox response l will have.

The problem is l have been driving around using dynamic, but as this mode over revs for normal everyday driving, l have been tapping the gear lever back dropping back into D and then using the paddles. So basically not getting the full beans from the engine unless l change to paddles whilst in S mode on gearbox.

Correct! In the R8 they show this correctly with the instrument cluster, it displays S1M, D1M, D2M etc.

Reactions: encee
Pulling the gear lever back to engage "S", only changes the gearbox mode, it does not alter throttle response or steering - you can only do this by engaging dynamic. So if you change the gearbox setting to "S" yes it will tickover a bit higher, yes it will rev higher before changing, no it will not change steering or throttle response.
To make it all work, then you need to be in dynamic mode and select "S" mode.
To get the most out of the paddles, you just need to be in dynamic mode, it really does not matter what mode the gearbox is in, as you are controlling the change ups/downs (and to get the maximum control you need to slide the gear lever to the left first to engage manual mode before using the paddles).

Pulling the gear lever back to engage "S", only changes the gearbox mode, it does not alter throttle response or steering - you can only do this by engaging dynamic. So if you change the gearbox setting to "S" yes it will tickover a bit higher, yes it will rev higher before changing, no it will not change steering or throttle response.
To make it all work, then you need to be in dynamic mode and select "S" mode.
To get the most out of the paddles, you just need to be in dynamic mode, it really does not matter what mode the gearbox is in, as you are controlling the change ups/downs (and to get the maximum control you need to slide the gear lever to the left first to engage manual mode before using the paddles).

Sadly, that's not correct, please look in your 'Individual' mode settings to see how 'Dynamic' is separated. The S is vital for BOTH engine and throttle response (not to mention it is VERY obvious when tested via the above method.

The steering and exhaust note IS separate and only engaged when using 'Dynamic' and not just 'S'.

If you're in 'Dynamic' or 'Individual' equivalent settings and you pull the lever down to 'D' you will see the 'Engine/Gearbox' mode change back to 'Comfort'.

Please test this, and if not, have a read of the 'Selbststudienprogramm' SSP (Self-Study Program) as this is referenced.

Is it just me, or does anyone else get hacked off with the way the gearbox operates?

For example: approaching traffic & clear road ahead. Manually drop into 4th ready to pass. Put the foot down & "oh, wait a moment, I'll just change down another gear" followed by "Oops hold on, I've used up that last 500 revs, give me a couple of seconds to decide what to do... Oh right,
I'll have to change up again"

I truly hate the software on this gearbox. Does anyone know it it can be programmed out so that it will stay in the gear I actually want to use?

when you drop it back manually, keep your foot lightly on the throttle (counter to what we would normally do, I know), but the DSG, assumes a lift off the throttle accompanied by a downshift is a precursor to slowing down, not speeding up to overtake/accelerate, makes the world of difference.

I truly hate the software on this gearbox. Does anyone know it it can be programmed out so that it will stay in the gear I actually want to use?

Yes a TCU tune will remove kick down when in M mode - most will also give you a choice of having auto up and down shifts too so you can decide what you want to suit your driving style.

Reactions: pburv
What @Audi Toby said is bang on. Iv recently found this out aswell. There is a difference between DM and SM

Reactions: Audi Toby and pburv
Bit of a different question on this one then...

I have my Audi Drive Select "individual" settings to dynamic on everything bar suspension, so am I getting everything that the specific ADS "dynamic" mode offers, (except from the suspension setting of course), or does going into "full" dynamic mode on the ADS ramp everything up just that bit more again, ie full-fat dynamic, rather than just each individual setting set to dynamic in ADS individual mode ?

One thing to consider, which I had only discovered last week after some testing, is that if you're using 'manual mode' you have to make sure you're in the correct 'auto' setting first.

I'll explain,

Previously I had thought the S-tronic had 3 separate modes, D, S and M.

However, there is actually 4 different modes. Think of them as, D, S, DM and SM.

When in 'D' you will have the 'comfort' mode throttle response, retarded engine timing and slower gear changes.

If at this point, (driving in 'D') you use the paddles or slide the gear selector left to engage 'M', you will STILL have the 'comfort' settings enabled.

If however, you FIRST select 'S' mode either by the 'Drive Select' button or pulling the selector down, and THEN use the paddles or slide the gear selector left to engage 'M' ('SM'), then you will benefit from a very fast throttle response, advanced engine timing and quick gear changes! (Even though the dashboard still says the same (just an 'M')).

(P.s. When in 'SM', if you lift off around 5k RPM whilst on full throttle, you will feel a huge 'throttle response' difference, I nearly gave myself 'whiplash'!)

Try it, and you will be shocked/pleasantly surprised.

Been out tonight and had a play, straight to Dynamic mode (made sure gearbox was in S), then flicked the box to manual.

Yeah, well it shot off like a scolded cat, absolutely more responsive!

Also had a read of the manual regarding D and S mode,

D mode: the gearbox automatically selects the best gear ratio, depending on road speed, engine load and driving style.

Pull gearstick back into S,

S mode: If you wish to take full advantage of the cars performance.This setting makes use of the engines Maximum power output.

So l believe S mode is vital for both dynamic engine response and gearbox.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Audi Toby

I have my Audi Drive Select "individual" settings to dynamic on everything bar suspension, so am I getting everything that the specific ADS "dynamic" mode offers, (except from the suspension setting of course), or does going into "full" dynamic mode on the ADS ramp everything up just that bit more again, ie full-fat dynamic, rather than just each individual setting set to dynamic in ADS individual mode ?

Dynamic in individual settings should be the same as dynamic mode settings, surely.

Reactions: Rob2k68

Take a read of my posts above, alternatively, a simple way of thinking about it is...

IRRELEVANT of any settings, modes (Dynamic) etc.

If you see an 'S' in the instrument cluster or 'M' (after first being in 'S') then you WILL have full 'engine/throttle/gearbox performance'.

If you see a 'D' or an 'M' (after first being in 'D') then you will NOT have the full performance.

So,

You can be in 'Dynamic' but if you move the gear selector to 'D' it will ignore the 'Dynamic' settings for the 'engine/throttle/gearbox performance'.

Reactions: Primolak, encee and Drew S3
Take a read of my posts above, alternatively, a simple way of thinking about it is...

IRRELEVANT of any settings, modes (Dynamic) etc.

If you see an 'S' in the instrument cluster or 'M' (after first being in 'S') then you WILL have full 'engine/throttle/gearbox performance'.

If you see a 'D' or an 'M' (after first being in 'D') then you will NOT have the full performance.

So,

You can be in 'Dynamic' but if you move the gear selector to 'D' it will ignore the 'Dynamic' settings for the 'engine/throttle/gearbox performance'.
Brilliant - very well explained Toby, and thankyou. :sunglasses:

In the S3 there are exhaust flaps on both sides of the exhaust to give it more noise when drive select is used - and the noise generator in the dash increases too I believe, but in individual settings, l chose dynamic engine sound, auto engine/gearbox, auto steering, auto suspension and all l hear is the exhaust more throaty so l assume the noise generator comes into play in S mode only (dynamic engine/gearbox).