What do you drive as your "daily" car?

Terminator x

Reaction score
It seems a lot of RS3 owners have another car as a daily and just use the RS3 for special occasions, weekends etc. Just wondered what your daily car is? I used my RS3 every day and racked up 41k miles over 2.5 years!

TX.

Reactions: dp_motley, Deep penetrator and NevMan
Only the TTRS for me. Miles piling up now. Have looked into getting a second car a few times over the years but the numbers don't stack up unless you are doing some serious miles, even on a cheap car... road tax, MOTs, servicing, insurance, space to park it, initial outlay for the car etc etc. All adds up.

I'm sure some will point to depreciation and keeping the miles low, and perhaps you would save yourself a few thousand pounds over the years, but as a car enthusiast I want to be driving the RS, not a TDI.

Reactions: DW81, AB RS3, AudiNutta and 2 others
My feet and the train is my daily commute.
The RS is mainly used for weekends and trips away.
Clocked 5800miles in first year.

Reactions: AudiNutta, Terminator x and NevMan
The RS as much as the business allows.
Even if I have to use the van I still nip home once done with it to get the RS.

It’s rude not too, the car is there to be driven and not a garage queen.

Reactions: S., DW81, oli356 and 2 others
RS3 as my day car and my little 18 year old Skoda Pick Up for special fun...:thumbs up:

Reactions: 45bvtc and D0C
A 2013 185bhp supercharged and then turbocharged 7-speed DSG equipped 3-door Audi A1; what a 'cracking' machine, you can really feel the agility and speeeeeeeeed at legal (ish) road speeds.

Suzy Vid

Our 2011 RS3 is superb for longer, rapid, motoring and just perfect in winter conditions. Our 2010 TT for top-down runs and tasty lunch-time pub meals on nice days; tried to swap if for a TTRS but couldn't see the point alongside the RS3.

The 185bhp A1, however, is amazing!

I'm 100% with Hal Adams, sometimes 'LESS'
can be a hell-of-a-lot 'MORE'... :racer:

Depends 'HOW' you drive and not 'WHAT' you drive...

PS: retired 9-years ago :yahoo: so zero work-related driving now.

Reactions: AudiNutta
I walk to work. So, the car is for weekends.
I see a Nardo FL RS3 in the local train station when I walk past every day and it always makes me look forward to weekend and the chance to get out in the car again.

Reactions: 45bvtc
My RS3 is my daily car. But I occasionally take my former car out for a spin, even though it's actually the better half's car now...

Screenshot 20180904 182955 Gallery

Reactions: Callum66, T-800, AudiNutta and 2 others
The RS3 is my daily ..
work, shopping, holiday’s, ...
Love it ...

I don't need a daily, I work from home. Therefore when I do venture out to the gym or to see a client etc, the RS is wheeled out. However we have a XC60 for the family wagon.

I had one of these as a daily when I had my RS4. 595 Comp, that got absolutely thrashed within an inch of its life! lol

Reactions: nervus, 45bvtc and AudiNutta
The RS3 ‘Soupwagon’ is my daily commute but we use our Skoda Octavia Estate as the work horse for lugging boat stuff and general ‘mucky’ stuff around. Oh and I use it for longer trips I do for work.... It’s actually a surprisingly pokey car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supposed to be a great little car, do you agree?

TX.

I’ll be honest only the 595 Comp with the extra power, the other models are just too slow. The driving position is also compromised as it’s too high, you sit ‘on’ it and not ‘in’ it, but...

I out drove lots of faster cars (S5 in particular! Lol), through the twisties, town and roundabouts it was fantastic and got loads of looks, it’s the perfect town car and birds love them cos they all want ‘the fast one’!! Lol

The exhaust sounded fantastic too. I lowered it and put spacers on it, really made a difference. I don’t miss it though, the ride was also very hard.

Have you driven one?

Reactions: Terminator x
This, all 300PS of it! It’s a 2.0TSI Runing Bilstein B14’s and uprated H&R ARB’s, amongst a whole load of other upgrades (Its part of my job :) )

Reactions: RS4B5, SPIKE_, S. and 2 others
Car thefts / vandalism? Obviously has been fine for you though
Probably going to regret saying this but yes all fine, park it with the rear to a wall so it looks like any other A3 :)

Reactions: E15, Terminator x and AudiNutta
Only the TTRS for me. Miles piling up now. Have looked into getting a second car a few times over the years but the numbers don't stack up unless you are doing some serious miles, even on a cheap car... road tax, MOTs, servicing, insurance, space to park it, initial outlay for the car etc etc. All adds up.

I'm sure some will point to depreciation and keeping the miles low, and perhaps you would save yourself a few thousand pounds over the years, but as a car enthusiast I want to be driving the RS, not a TDI.

True about the cost, my wife an I have 2 cars each

It's not cheap but it's very handy though. I sometimes go to football matches, local tip, events where parking is a field, park in rubbish car parks in Reading and Maidenhead that are designed by skeletons. Now my client has closed their contractors car park and shockingly in Slough hardly anywhere to park, so spare old car helps as I can dump it legally anywhere
Wife goes to allotment so here S3 would get destroyed, front would get ripped off.

Insurance is about £200 each, tax £200 each, service/mot £150. Maintenance isn't too bad as we don't rack too many miles on the old cars, i bought the Peugeot new and Merc A class when it was 10 months old - both are mint and better nick than most 5 year old cars and both have FSH, Pug has done 118K miles, A class 50K miles (lol). Tyres are about £200-600 for a set but Ill just get cheap ones next time. Thinking about change the pug or replacing both with one car though for something a little newer but suitable that a 17 year old can learn in

Rs3 facelift is my daily driver rack up miles on it going from Northampton to Oxford...just bought an mx5 fantastic little car hood down in summer can’t beat it for some relaxed driving...then back in RS to increase the blood pressure again!!!!

Reactions: Terminator x
Rs3 facelift is my daily driver rack up miles on it going from Northampton to Oxford...just bought an mx5 fantastic little car hood down in summer can’t beat it for some relaxed driving...then back in RS to increase the blood pressure again!!!!

I was looking at an MX5 too, great little cars and older ones are fairly robust and cheap. i didnt both as i need 4 seats. Might look at peugeot 308 or similar sized car - cheap as poss lol

Makes me laugh, some people might not like it but it is just a really fast small hatchback/saloon.......why wouldn't you use it and leave it in car parks?
Way more expensive/desirable cars on the roads everyday and to not use it for constant fear of parking/theft/whatever kinda defeats the object of having it surely? Buy it, thrash it, enjoy it, if something happens then yep bad luck but presumably insured?
All machines are ultimately just metal and plastic ;)

Reactions: E15, DW81, ChrisRS3 and 3 others
Makes me laugh, some people might not like it but it is just a really fast small hatchback/saloon.......why wouldn't you use it and leave it in car parks?
Way more expensive/desirable cars on the roads everyday and to not use it for constant fear of parking/theft/whatever kinda defeats the object of having it surely? Buy it, thrash it, enjoy it, if something happens then yep bad luck but presumably insured?

I kinda get this. However IMO it depends on the financial situation of the car. I owned my RS4 outright, which I bought 5 nearly 6 years ago admittedly it was a bit of a garage queen but I did use it. I sold it in March for £500 more than I paid for it. My Abarth I ran through my business and I used it every day to go to work, see clients and the odd trip away, so the company took the hit on that.

I’ve recently left my old company and now run a business from home, I saw this as an opportunity to sell the RS4, grab some cash and finance a nicer car, which I don’t need to use every day but is the household’s 2nd car. I would say that if you’re financing a vehicle and leave it parked up 5 days a week, it’s utter madness. There’ll only be one looser in that game.

Agree 100%........

If you have a car of this ilk then why not drive it as much as you can......

Life's too short, no point in having it to open the garage door look at it for 2 mins like your gonna make love to it then shut the door, because it's raining or your worried about about where the next stonechip/car park dink is coming from.

Reactions: DW81, oli356, Ozmosis and 1 other person
^^ jaysrs4 - it was not meant to be taken the way you are nearly taking it :)
its always about the finances, I have a few transport options myself and some don't get used much but not because of fear of getting wet/stonechip/dirty etc etc. they are just machines and engines are designed to be rev'd not looked at.

^^ jaysrs4 - it was not meant to be taken the way you are nearly taking it :)
its always about the finances, I have a few transport options myself and some don't get used much but not because of fear of getting wet/stonechip/dirty etc etc. they are just machines and engines are designed to be rev'd not looked at.

Sorry, did I come across a tad curt? Totally not intended :icon thumright:

I use mine as a daily, have thought about getting something else to use in the winter but probably cheaper to get a set of winter wheels/tyres

Reactions: D0C
The RS3 is the daily driver. I keep the Focus tdci in the garage for weekends and special occasions ;)

Reactions: E15, NevMan and jimojameso
I use mine as a daily, have thought about getting something else to use in the winter but probably cheaper to get a set of winter wheels/tyres

I’ve found with these fitted it’s a perfect winter car.

We live up quite a steep road and when BMW’s etc are sliding around at the bottom we are making effortless progress.

39accd69fb22600a08a3127ed2dc521d.jpg

Reactions: Dan_DJT
I’ve found with these fitted it’s a perfect winter car.

We live up quite a steep road and when BMW’s etc are sliding around at the bottom we are making effortless progress.

39accd69fb22600a08a3127ed2dc521d.jpg
They look good, can you share where you got them from ?

I ride a bike to work as much as possible as I work near a hospital and its full of the worst types of drivers all day (Taxi drivers with spurious driving licences , The work shy in pieces of ****, and the pseudo-disabled in their free Nissans all of which have ZERO respect for other peoples pride and joy - IMHO!!! I see the carnage daily!!

Reactions: Rs1, Terminator x and teslaboy
Daily for me at the moment. 8months of commuting and still going and just shy of 20000 miles in this time frame. Absolutely love it, be abit sad once I’m back on the underground commute to London

I use the RS3 kinda daily, it just doesn’t do the dirtier stuff like dogs and tip runs... I’ve a 2009 Suzuki Swift Sport for that... not a bad little car to be honest :icon thumright: couldn’t imagine any long trips in it or motorway runs though, it sits at high revs at the best of times haha