West York Police re RS3

Al3RSNR

Reaction score
Dear All,
I had a surprise letter through in the post today from West York’s Police.
It was an enquiry if I was driving in the Leeds area. I wasn’t and haven’t as I am in Norfolk. Interestingly upon speaking with them it appears a Grey RS3 is driving around with my plates on. ie cloned.
Apparently this is quite common and if a dealer, FB or Instagram post shows a car with plates on its relatively easy to look up the owner on the electoral roll, find address details etc and drive a stolen/borrowed/wrapped RS3 or any particular performance car you wish to impersonate in whatever manner you like. If ever stopped the scrotes simply give Mr PC the details of the genuine owner and it appears legit. I am told to possibly expect some speeding tickets!
So if anyone knows of a 2019 Grey RS3 saloon in West Leeds being driven like they stole it, then you know they probably did and it’s not me.
In summary, Mr PC will be having a word with the drivers of this car when it next passes a police car.
Be careful fellow owners.

Apparently this is quite common and if a dealer, FB or Instagram post shows a car with plates on its relatively easy to look up the owner on the electoral roll,
There are no car details on the electoral roll, you can only get them from the DVLA, technically only with a valid reason and proof.

Trouble is they find a way if they want, especially if they can get enough off your FB or insta page.

Had plates nicked of one of mine a while ago, luckily I reported it to plod before an identical car rammed a jewellery shop 15 miles away.

There are no car details on the electoral roll, you can only get them from the DVLA, technically only with a valid reason and proof.

Trouble is they find a way if they want, especially if they can get enough off your FB or insta page.

Had plates nicked of one of mine a while ago, luckily I reported it to plod before an identical car rammed a jewellery shop 15 miles away.
Hi, sorry my post may have not been clear. They cannot get car details from electoral roll, only your name and address details.

Another reason i never show my Reg plates if i put pictures of my car on line.

Reactions: JohnM100
Another reason i never show my Reg plates if i put pictures of my car on line.
Same here. Just Google search for images of the car you want to clone and you will get pages of plates visible.

TX.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS3 S.
Prudent to also remove all the metadata from a photo before posting it too - amazing how many people take the time to obscure their number plates and then share pictures of their car enabling people to identify exactly where they were taken.