Wastegate chatter

Pat

Reaction score
I`m really just after some advise.. I have heard the odd vag car ie s3, golf and leons which have wastegate chatter or turbine stall which ever you want to call it.. I just wondered how these people are getting that sound?? I know you can pull the hose of the top of the dv too get that sound but I`m not happy about doing that...

Any ideas..

I think i'm right in saying that if your running higher boost and a cone air filter you should get the wastegate chatter noise coming throught the filter.

as i understand it, when the DV is broken, the seals are dead, so when the vacuum tries to pull it open, it cant, hence no air is let through. its just like running no DV at all, hence the stall sound.

which although bad, happens to sound LOVELY.#

shame really

I got to agree I much prefer the sound of the wastegate over a dv.. Anytime.. Mine is mapped but don`t get that sound.. But have just heard some vag cars which do have the wastegate chatter and wondered if it can be done..

Based on the fact it is very very bad for your turbo and the only want for it is a nicer noise, why would you want to do it ?

I am also a big fan of the noise btw i just dont think it is worth my turbo to have it.

ok so are we saying if you have wast gate chatter the car is not running right??

From what it sounds like if you're getting wastegate chatter your dump valve isn't working correctly.

Unless you've fitted an external wastegate :think:

well many people say a chatter is bad supposedly turbo stall, if you have a forge DV you can change the spring in you DV to allow more chatter and lower revs.
my friend ran his volvo 2.0t on 1.1bar boost with no dump/diverter/blow off valve for over 8months that just chattered like a c**t and all was fine with his turbo.
when you up the boost when you remap an S3 you should get a small amount as i did when i was running a cone filter but only very quiet at low revs.
if you get chatter on standard car more than likely your DV is bust.
with my forge DV i get a loud whoosh through my filter it still turns heads i would love chatter but i'm not going to risk it!
and external wastegate noise is more of a flutter than a chatter if that makes sense!

ok so maybe i have a flutter also, its only at low revs when you can hear it. when i say hear it i am talking with the passanger side window open!! Doh!!

sitrials said:
my friend ran his volvo 2.0t on 1.1bar boost with no dump/diverter/blow off valve for over 8months that just chattered like a c**t and all was fine with his turbo.

true, but andy also changed that turbo after doing not all that many miles..... who knows how long it would have lasted in the long term.

that cars just endless hasstle though, its off the road again! was round there last night with him trying to do a new pcv.....

at the end of the day, if your getting chatter, its broken.

what forge spring are you thinking of Si>? ive upped mine to a yellow one, and its crisper, and less 'dump happy' but still certainly no chatter.... surely if you put in a spring that allows it to chatter, its simply too strong and isnt letting any air circulate-bad.

most turbo cars will chatter but only at low revs and with audi sound deadening in the car i doubt you will hear, i could only hear mine with the bonnet open when waiting in line to go down santa pod.