Washer hose repair diy?

R

RC944

The ribbed nearside washer hose that sits alongside the bonnet hinge has almost snapped in half. Any tried a tested repairs? The internal diameter is about 4mm I could try to fix a joint between them with a pipe external diameter 4mm?

Yes, you could try inserting the smaller tube inside the broken pipe.
Make sure you'll push in few inches either way from the connection.
I would additionally cover the connection (also an inch or so from each side of the connection) with one piece of heat shrink to secure it. It might be harder in that spot when it cools off.

they are heated jets so i wont be able to get the heat shrink over without terminating and re-jointing the electrical wires that run alongside the pipe

Wires go into the jet housing and heat the jet only. This prevent ice clog in low temperatures. Hose is not heated.

If your damage is on the straight line, not flex, I would reinforce the inner rubber pipe connection with heat shrink to strengthen things up.

When heat shrink is heated, as name indicates, it will shrink but will also be softer, while still worm. It should go in between the ribbed part of hose. Once cooled down, it will harden and hold it in place more securely.

thanks for the tips gents will report back with the fix

on a related note, any thoughts on where i can buy the textile tape that the hose is wrapped in?

no worries. Keep us posted.

Halfords should have them.

Good luck

so this is what i did in the end

- removed lower scuttle panel
- removed 1.5" of the harness tape either end of the break
- tried and failed to insert the connector. i also noticed that the inline connector had much narrower internal diameter than the original hose
- sleeved the heatshrink either side of the break and heated up whilst butting either side of the broken pipe against each other
- still need to apply the harness tape

the heatshrink was a good shout and i now have fully restored function on all 6 of the jets.

it seems like the hose had gradually gotten worse because the pressure out of the jets is so much better now - wish id paid more attention to the damp harness tape before

Reactions: KrisKrk
Glad you got that sorted.

As We are on "the chalk island", hard water and limescale can built up around any water outlet. It is a good idea to give those jets a blast of compressed air after descale.

absolutely. my workaround is to remove them from the bonnet and shove some fuse wire down the buggers