Viewing a (used) 140 COD

Reaction score
Probably viewing a 63 plate 140 COD shortly, for it's age it's done a highish mileage for a petrol car - anything I should be looking out for ? and indeed listening out for re the test drive ?
I've read about the actuator rod rattle ? Can this be at any revs, or in a specific range ? Are there any other common issues specific to the 140 ?
Got a A31.6tdi at the moment so, by comparison, I'm expecting a much more responsive drive with and a lighter and quicker feel - if not I'm probably wasting my time and money !
Thanks

What mileage and the 1.4 cod engine has never had the issue with rod rattle. I assure you the 1.4 is by far a better engine than the diesel..

Yup, 31k over two years is highish but depends upon how the car was driven and on what roads, over motorway conditions not too bad but I would be careful it if it was all urban. Service history there?

Long life at 19k - so it will be due another at 38k, I think an oil change might be in order.
Obviously always difficult to determine what sort of mileage. However, higher diesel mileage I'd always assume motorway miles but on a petrol I'm less certain.

Well not my words if you look at the first post, mines done 10100, offers?

Some complain of a vibration or "shudder" in the COD engine. It's definitely there but it obviously bothers some more than others so you may want to check that out in case it's an issue for you. I find it happens under low revs and light loads when in 2-cylinder mode.

It's quite obviously an inherent trait of the engine and they all do it to some degree, despite some on here claiming it's a fault.

Some, a few, have complained that they perceive a vibration, however most if us detect nothing at all so I think the jury's out on this one...