VCDS issues

Fatbloke

Reaction score
Hi All

I was trying to do some wee changes via VCDS but only one worked. It's on a 2016 A3 Quattro TDI.

I managed to get the passenger mirror to dip when reversing but had trouble with a couple of others.

I want to add the Oil Temp in the dash display but it wouldn't accept the new value.

I did this:

[17] Instruments
Go to Long Coding
Enable Byte 10, Bit 1. Display Oil Temperature

I kept getting Error 31, out of range.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

I also made the changes for the chirp on locking and they were accepted ok but don't seem to be working.

I did this but only chose the second option for on locking:

[09] Central Electronics
Adaptation channels :
(1)-Acknowledgement Signals - Akustische Rueckmeldung entriegen (Un-lock acoustic feedback)
(2)-Acknowledgement Signals - Akustische Rueckmeldung verriegeln (Lock acoustic feedback)
Set each or one of them to Yes

Any ideas?

I am very new to VCDS and have only managed the needle sweep and reversing mirror so far.

Cheers

Dave

Hi Fatbloke!

There is an 8V VCDS thread on here, have a search via the button towards the top of the forum for more information. In the meantime what version of VCDS are you using?

Reactions: Fatbloke
Not sure what version it is. I just downloaded it about 3 weeks ago so it is a recent version.

Got it now. It is release 17.8.0
Trying coding your Oil Temp again using the same steps you listed above. Make sure that your ignition is on, engine off and that all your doors are closed and not locked, MMI displaying Radio and your DIS or VC displaying radio also.

As for the Alarm beeps, you have activated Beep on lock and unlock but not the MMI menu option, which you will need to then toggle to the on / tick position via the MMI before it will work. Activate the following in addition to the above then use your MMI:
  • Menuesteuerung akustische Rueckmeldung

Actually, thinking about it if you have a virtual cockpit you don't need oil temp as its already active and you need to press the view button to see it (small dials).

Thanks. I will have another try tomorrow.

I don't think I have virtual cockpit.

Thanks. I will have another try tomorrow.

I don't think I have virtual cockpit.
Virtual cockpit = a big screen instead of analogue clocks, was available as an option from late 2016 onwards.

Reactions: Rolly12
Ah, right. It's the analogue clocks I have with the wee screen between them. I am new to Audi too so still getting familiar with it.

For the acoustic lock, did you also enable the menu item in the MMI? As you have to do that, and then use the MMI to turn it on.

Acoustic Lock Menu in MMI
=================
Full:
SELECT: Control Module 09 - Central Electronics
SELECT: Security Access - 16
ENTER CODE: 31347

SELECT: Adaption - 10
SELECT: Channel(7) - Menuesteuerung akustische Rueckmeldung
SET TO: New Value

Possible New Values:
Active = Display Menu
Not Active = Menu not Displayed

Then you have to reset the MMI....
Depress and Hold MMI Menu Button.
Despress and Hold MMI OK Button / Selection Jog Wheel.
Push Up: MMI Top two selection Buttons
Release all buttons.

Then activate in MMI:
Menu > Car > Systems > Vehicle Settings > Central Locking / Tone When Locking

That's what DJAlix mentioned above. That's where I went wrong I think. I will try it again tomorrow and see how I get on.

Cheers for the guidance guys. It is much appreciated.

Well, I tried the oil temp display again with both screens set to the radio setting but it still won't take the change.

The error was "Error 31 : Request out of range".

I tried the other one but cannot find Channel(7) - Menuesteuerung akustische Rueckmeldung

I searched through the list but can't see anything like that. It doesn't mention the channel number either.

The list items all started with IDE then a number I think.

Any further advice?

Well, I tried the oil temp display again with both screens set to the radio setting but it still won't take the change.

The error was "Error 31 : Request out of range".

I tried the other one but cannot find Channel(7) - Menuesteuerung akustische Rueckmeldung

I searched through the list but can't see anything like that. It doesn't mention the channel number either.

The list items all started with IDE then a number I think.

Any further advice?
Ignore the "Channel" number as its the old identifying scheme. Search for "Rueckmeldung" using the search box and what you are looking for should populate the drop down.

As for your oil temp, Request Out of Range normally means one of the following:
  • Adaptation / Coding is not possible
  • Conditions for completing said Adaptation / Coding are not correct (doors closed and not locked etc)
  • Adaptation / Coding is not supported via VCDS (old version of software or car is too new and not yet fully supported)

Reactions: Matchman54
I finally got round to trying the VCDS changes again.

Strangely the oil temp mod just worked this time. No errors.

I did the extra bit to get the door lock chirp setting on the mmi screen. I had to put the security code in but it worked fine.

I still want to do the wiper service mode mod and disable the stop/start function.

Thanks with all the advice above guys.

Dave