Using Axle Stands.

N88 RBN

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to do some wheel off work on my A3 over the next few weeks. Clean & seal wheels, paint hubs and calipers.

Does anyone know an appropriate place to position these?

Thanks in advance.

N

Hi Nathan, try a search as I'm sure this has been asked before along with where to place the jack.

Hi Mate,

I've already tried nothing relevant came up in my search.

Thanks
N

Had this problem myself also getting the car high enough to get the axle stand under. When I changed my Haldex ECU I placed the stand under the rear sub frame but kept the jack also in place.

Think @jungle650 may be your man possibly with pics.

I wouldn't place an axle stand on the jacking point my stands have a wider cup if that's the correct word and would miss the flange the jack connects to and poke straight through the floor.

Had this problem myself also getting the car high enough to get the axle stand under. When I changed my Haldex ECU I placed the stand under the rear sub frame but kept the jack also in place.

Think @jungle650 may be your man possibly with pics.

As @Rob2k68 states do not place axle stands on the jacking points. Use these points only to raise the car. If you are using a decent trolley jack by all means leave that in place using that point as well as the stands. This gives you total peace of mind with several touch points spreading the weight of the car should one fail etc.

The rear of the car is the easiest place to visually see where axle stands can be placed.

REAR.

There are two large heavy duty rubber mounts which make the perfect place to put rear axle stands.

IMG 0218

FRONT

The front of the car is less obvious where to place axle stands. One of the best options is around this area as shown below. Which is esssentially around the main chasis arms of the car. I would not advise placing under the nuts, but on one of the larger reinforced areas around them.

IMG 0220

Hope this helps.....
Jungle

Reactions: oli356, Behind The Bins, S32B and 3 others
@jungle650 Awesome job mate thanks !

First bit of dirt I've spotted on your car too :friends:

Reactions: DJAlix
Thanks very much for your help guys!

Reactions: Rob2k68 and jungle650
I would not advise placing under the nuts, but on one of the larger reinforced areas around them.
Noooo never place axle stands under your nuts, it could be nasty!!! :p

Reactions: glospete, jungle650 and Rob2k68
Sorry to bring this back up but I have a 64 plate A3 and got a jack pad so can jack the car up in the right location but there is not enough space to put an excel stand in the right place as pictured above where can I jack the car that also gives space for the axel stand? I am using a decent trolley jack not Audi one.

I used to have the jack at an angle which just about gave me enough space to place front axel stands. I used to use my Audi boot mounted jack as well as my aftermarket low entrance jack, in order to raise the car and to place axel stands. You can also jack from the rear if your jack goes higher enough, which will also allow you to place axel stands at the front. I used to have plenty of touch points on the car before I would work under. Probably over kill, but I would always want atleast 3 touch points incase anything failed.

Here is a video ink which will give you some jacking points / ideas and also another jacking point on the front sub frame by the dogbone mount. ( its in line with the rear of the front wheels ) . OK its a MK7 golf but its very similar. Not sure I like how high he has the car but you get the idea!

Jungle.

Reactions: dg-1984