1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used Car Values Increased ?

Snake Pliskin Jan 22, 2019

1. Snake Pliskin

Snake Pliskin Well-Known Member Supporter Team Floret Silver Audi RS3

Can anyone explain why used car values have increased so much over the last 12 months ?

I occasionally do a "online car valuation" to see what my car is worth as a guide.

My car has increased in value by £2,500 over the the last 13 months ?? WTF ??

It is worth more now than it was in December 2017 :blink: :icon thumright:

I checked 2 car valuations sites just be to sure and yes this checked out.

Of course this is excellent but it really surprised me.

Any thoughts on why ?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Djl

Djl Member

Huge wait to buy a new one, keeping the used market inflated. If we have to wait until 2020/2021 to get a new RS3 then I’d expect them to hold their value quite well, especially as the new model will probably see a big price hike.

infernox, sve170 and Snake Pliskin like this.
  4. D0C

D0C Well-Known Member Team Nardo Team Panther Audi RS3 TTRS

PFL a future classic and better than FL? ;)

Also, production has stopped on the RS3 so that must help values.

5. teslaboy

teslaboy Mythos black RS3 8v FL Audi S3 Audi RS3

I think you have that the wrong way around Doc,

6. Snake Pliskin

I was quite staggered to see my car go up in value over 13 months.

But yeah I agree with all your reasons.

Be good if it does retain that value for another couple of years too.

Bristle Hound likes this.
  7. terminator x

terminator x Well-Known Member

Now you have started it … :sos:

TX.

Edit - bit like Gordo Brown and our gold, sold mine at the wrong time it seems :flushed:

Sn00ten and Snake Pliskin like this.
  8. Snake Pliskin

With production halted on the RS4 and all other RS models atm .. it may be that all RS models have increased in value :icon thumright:

terminator x likes this.
  9. D0C

For a laugh I put my TTRS into We Buy Any Car... it's fully loaded with options... £35k :yahoo:

X3man, FBF01 and Snake Pliskin like this.
  10. Snake Pliskin

So how old is your car mate and what is % retained value atm.
    Mine is 3 years old and retained 70% of the original purchase price :icon thumright:

sve170 and X3man like this.
  11. D0C

List price with options was over £60k! It's just over a year old and 13k miles. Obviously, I didn't pay that, but even so that is a silly valuation that we come to expect from WBAC.

Looking online privately I would expect £45k+. It is beautifully specced, Nardo with black pack and virtually every option bar ceramics and mag ride which I don't rate. It has both the matrix LED front lights and the OLED rears. While the options and may not increase the value so much, I would expect it would sell reasonably easy because of the spec and colour. All being well, I won't be selling for some time...it really is a stunning car that gets endless looks and comments.

12. Avatar

13. Snake Pliskin

Yeah your car sounds awesome :icon thumright:
    I do think our RS cars are highly desireable and the halt on RS sales has / will continue to help our cars retain value.
    Cars are NOT a good investment, we all know that, but good to know they are not losing as much as many cars and possibly even retaining value moving forward.
    I do think that price increases on new cars has helped too as will further increases when new RS models eventually get released again.
    There is no doubt in my mind that Audi will push prices higher in the future and that will help the residuals on our cars.
    Albeit, a replacement car will cost a lot more of course, so its all relative.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    D0C likes this.
  14. terminator x

Oy oy :hearteyes:

TX.

15. dno_uk

dno_uk Active Member Team Ara Blue Team Riviera Audi RS3 Audi A6

A lot of used VAG models have seen increases in value since September 2018 due to the impact of WLTP and the lack of new cars available to the dealer network. There has been more competition for stock hence prices have risen for desirable models.

CAP values of RS3s have always been quite harsh in my opinion and it’s not unusual to see well specced cars make literally thousands over book in auction. This data is fed back to the likes of WBAC (who are owned by BCA) so they ‘turn up’ their valuations.

Snake Pliskin likes this.
  16. txosbi

txosbi Member Team Sepang Audi S3 Audi RS3 quattro

I put my car details into auto trader every few weeks as it gives you a recommended selling price. 65plate rs3, 24k miles.
    I've also noticed the price has gone up, I just put it down to wltp and less supply.
    All good though.
    Steve.

X3man and Snake Pliskin like this.
  17. Tristan2

Tristan2 Guest

Just put my details into webuy and my valuation is £33000

18. billymc92

billymc92 2018 Ara Blue Facelift RS3

Similar specs of my car on autotrader for between £42-£45k

19. Peter123

Peter123 Active Member TFSI Owners Group Team Navarra Audi Q5 Navarra Blue Classic S tronic S-line owners group

It appears that many drivers who purchase privately are not purchasing new cars (for many reasons) and are holding onto their present vehicle. This has created a shortage of lower mileage used vehicles. Good low mileage vehicles are now commanding a higher price.

20. terminator x

My wife has a manual :sunglasses: 2015 S3 with just 8k miles!! FASH of course ...

TX.

X3man likes this.
  21. D0C

Do you find it quite nice to get back in a manual now and again? It's been so long since I've driven one!

X3man likes this.
  22. terminator x

I do like it although I almost always make the mistake of trying try to start it with my foot on the brake :flushed: prefer the paddles though tbf which is a surprise as before the RS3 you would never have got me in an "auto".

TX.

X3man likes this.
  23. deanshaw24

deanshaw24 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User

My local Audi just sold a sprint blue pre facelift rs3 for full asking of £37990 the day it went online for sale! The desperation for rs3’s is real!

Snake Pliskin and X3man like this.
  24. Bells

Bells Well-Known Member Team Ara Blue Team Daytona Team V6 Audi S3 Audi S5

I know, I’d enquired about it and was told that it sold within a few hours apparently. At that price point though I’m just thinking I’d be better off getting a FL for a few grand more...

25. deanshaw24

I wonder what’s more desirable? Or does it just come down to price as to spend £38k on a prefacelift is nuts!

Bells likes this.
  26. Bells

Bells Well-Known Member Team Ara Blue Team Daytona Team V6 Audi S3 Audi S5

I’ve got a facelift S3 so I’d probably miss virtual cockpit which is my only problem, although I think the PFL RS3 edges it on sound. With my sensible head on I wouldn’t want to pay more than £35k for a PFL RS3 and maybe £41k for a FL. Wish I’d snapped up a well spec’d red 67 reg FL at Perth Audi a few months back for 39k was a bargain looking back at it now :blink:

27. X3man

X3man Well known member Gold Supporter X3 M40i Carbon Black

Must say I do in the wife’s JCW

Snake Pliskin and D0C like this.
  28. X3man

Can believe it. A mate of mine been looking for a PFL RS3 and keeps missing out as they sell often before even being advertised

Snake Pliskin likes this.
  29. Snake Pliskin

Wow ... looks like they are in demand then :blink: :icon thumright:

X3man likes this.
  30. txosbi

Hope the prices stay up. I bought an extended warranty with my 65plate RS3, lasts until Jan 2021. If I sell private for £25 I can transfer the warranty cover as well. Should add a few £ to the value if I sell.
    When I think of maybe changing, one turn of the key and 'that growl' of the exhaust and the thought has gone!

AudiNutta, RS3-Rob, X3man and 2 others like this.
  31. jonnyj

jonnyj Member

was told that my car was good for 37k last week trade in :wtf:

Radman likes this.
  32. royalsteve68

royalsteve68 Well-Known Member TeamMisano Team Ara Blue Audi S3 Audi RS3

according to webuyanycarforfall my car is worth £33K....hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. my wifes 2014 s3 is still worth £17.5K so hasn't dropped much in 2 years

33. Avatar

34. txosbi

Just put my details into AutoTrader again as if I was going to sell. My 65 plate rs3 had a recommended price of 30800 last time.

This time results are different, recommended selling price of 34012, then says *based on our valuation of 30920.

Odd.

35. Radman

Radman Well-Known Member Team Sepang Audi RS3 Audi A4 Black Edition

Was that by a dealer?

36. X3man

Must be if saying “trade in”

Radman likes this.
  37. Radman

Radman Well-Known Member Team Sepang Audi RS3 Audi A4 Black Edition

That’s crazy money. What’s the car spec?

38. deanshaw24

Dealers are making a killing on rs trade in cars at the moment. My local one made £7k on an RS3 the other week and recently sold an rs6 performance for a 13k profit. But if people are willing to sell their rs cars back to Audi for trade then it’s their own fault

X3man and Radman like this.
  39. Rs1

Rs1 Active Member

Spoke to a broker today said mine worth £34k at most...2018 model...also said if want that price get rid of car soon as Audi starting to build RS3 again in couple months..

40. D0C

£34k... it's worth more than that!

Even with Audi resuming production of the RS3, numbers will still likely be small...not many can afford £50k on a hot hatch.

41. Tristan2

Tristan2 Guest

Are they 100 percent starting the RS3 again or is it hearsay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42. Callump01

Callump01 Well-Known Member Team Nardo Saloon Audi RS3 quattro

Apparently the documents have been released to say that they're resuming production, but i'm not buying it until I see a 2019 roll off the line. It's just so close to the new A3. Makes no sense... why would Audi produce two models at the same time with different tooling... you'd think they'd just cut losses and move to full production on the new gen A3 since they're likely to sell far more of them rather than make a quick buck on a very limited market, niché RS3.

43. deanshaw24

They are 100% making them again, although bw has gone back to 10. The likelihood is you won’t see one until September on the road