Upgraded to A4

rnm37

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have just ordered a 2.0 TFSI Black Edition B9 A4 (Ibis White, with all the bells and whistles) after a thoroughly enjoyable 2.5 years in my A3. Sadly was starting to get tired of the limitations of both the 3 door configuration and the miniscule power output of the 1.6 TDI.

Have enjoyed visiting this forum and will continue to stop by as it's been a great source of info. Time to go and lurk on the B9 thread :)

Anyone got experience of driving both cars and can advise on any differences I might notice? (power is the obvious one but also interested in handling etc).

Cheers

Reactions: Martinbanshee, Jassyo06 and Sandra
Look forward to seeing you in the A4 section. Car sounds nice, can’t wait to see it. :)

Hi all,

Have just ordered a 2.0 TFSI Black Edition B9 A4 (Ibis White, with all the bells and whistles) after a thoroughly enjoyable 2.5 years in my A3. Sadly was starting to get tired of the limitations of both the 3 door configuration and the miniscule power output of the 1.6 TDI.

Have enjoyed visiting this forum and will continue to stop by as it's been a great source of info. Time to go and lurk on the B9 thread :)

Anyone got experience of driving both cars and can advise on any differences I might notice? (power is the obvious one but also interested in handling etc).

Cheers
I am sure you will find the answers in the a4 b9 forum. The engines really do not compare...

Reactions: rnm37
I have the 2.0 TFSI A3 and love the engine.
Had a 2.0 diesel A4 loan car for the day whilst mine was serviced.
Thought the car was great but missed the petrol engine.

Hi all,

Cheers

Congrats on the new car.

But if the change from A3 to A4 was purely down to the limitations of both 3 door configuration and the 1.6TDI. Would it not have made sense to just get a A3 Sportback or saloon with the same 2.0TFSI engine?

Congrats on the new car.

But if the change from A3 to A4 was purely down to the limitations of both 3 door configuration and the 1.6TDI. Would it not have made sense to just get a A3 Sportback or saloon with the same 2.0TFSI engine?

That was my plan originally, had no real intention of moving from an A3. However when I was looking at options I saw the deal on the A4 and thought why not. I was dead set on a Black Edition - I'm really not a fan of the chrome trim or the wheels on the S-lines, it's not edgy enough a look for my liking.

So was to some degree limited by what was available - I couldn't see any A3 deals that ticked the boxes. The 2.0 TFSI 190 doesn't appear to be a particularly popular choice on A3s.

Reactions: Jassyo06
That was my plan originally, had no real intention of moving from an A3. However when I was looking at options I saw the deal on the A4 and thought why not. I was dead set on a Black Edition - I'm really not a fan of the chrome trim or the wheels on the S-lines, it's not edgy enough a look for my liking.
So was to some degree limited by what was available - I couldn't see any A3 deals that ticked the boxes. The 2.0 TFSI 190 doesn't appear to be a particularly popular choice on A3s.
Congratulations on your choice and upgrade!
Are you saying you can get a better deal on an A4 compared to a similar spec A3?

Congratulations on your choice and upgrade!
Are you saying you can get a better deal on an A4 compared to a similar spec A3?

At the moment it looks like it yes - going purely by what I could find, no haggling involved.

I spend half my life looking at car deals on leasing websites etc and there has been a spate of deals on A4/S4 saloons recently. My guess is that paradoxically the A4 saloon is becoming a bit of a forgotten car in the Audi range at the moment? More and more people going for the various A3 derivatives or the A5 Sportback. On that note I'd considered that too but while I think it's a nice car, I think it looks very much like the converted coupe it is and therefore a bit awkward compared to the saloon.

I know many people will disagree with me on that and say the saloon looks boring compared to the sportback, horses for courses :)

At the moment it looks like it yes - going purely by what I could find, no haggling involved.

I spend half my life looking at car deals on leasing websites etc and there has been a spate of deals on A4/S4 saloons recently. My guess is that paradoxically the A4 saloon is becoming a bit of a forgotten car in the Audi range at the moment? More and more people going for the various A3 derivatives or the A5 Sportback. On that note I'd considered that too but while I think it's a nice car, I think it looks very much like the converted coupe it is and therefore a bit awkward compared to the saloon.

I know many people will disagree with me on that and say the saloon looks boring compared to the sportback, horses for courses :)

There is a facelift due so great deals on the existing A4/S4 models. It’s decibiyely an upgrade, the A4 interior is a lot nicer place to sit.

In the right trim level i think the saloon is by far the best a3

In the right trim level i think the saloon is by far the best a3

Sorry I wasn't being very clear there - I meant I think the A4 Saloon is preferable to the A5 Sportback :)

To be honest I like all of the different types of A3. The A3 saloon comes in at top of the range simply as it's rarer and as you say, probably looks the best. Objectively speaking, it's not as practical or useful a car as an A3 Sportback.

ok, should read more carefully. Although I'd take the Avant for the A4. The A4 Saloon doesn't quite have the complimentary proportions of the A3 saloon.
Guess it's the bigger boot jutting out more.

Complimentary proportions!

The A4 looks great to me, as does the A3 saloon.

The rear sticks out more on the a4. It's just not as flowing as the a3. Looks ok just not as nice

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
A4 is probably a bit wider at the rear so the boot is as large as it's rivals.

I went from an A3 saloon to an A4, yes the A3 has better proportions but you get used to it. Main reason for not getting a A3 again was I could get a better deal with the A4 with more options as the dealer contribution was higher and the apr lower as the A3 had only just been released then discounts were minor...
The facelift will not be out until 2019...