Tyre pressures !!

joinerman

Reaction score
Well i have asked on the B6 platform with no response so i will try on here.
i run 18" S line's with 235 40 18 winters on my B6, recommendations needed for what psi to use.

Not 100% as not sure what rims they are but i'd say around the 36-38psi range on that size rubber, if your more loaded then a bit more.

Reactions: Baka
Hmm, i have been running them at 32psi but the fronts are wearing the outer edges, been into garage for steering check & everything is as it should be.

Maybe that's why they are wearing on the outer edges , normally over inflated wears the middle down and under wears the outer areas ,well that's my understanding and maybe totally wrong...

when I had 235/40 18's they were 38 all round , and still run 38 allround with 19" 235/35 works fine with no adverse wear at al, I think tyre brand maybe a factor aswell .

Run mine at 40 psi with no issues

I regularly have a 50lb E-mtb in the boot plus other crap in the car so run the pressures a little higher

Rob, I thought 32psi was the norm for our sized tyres and wheels
when I had 235/40 18's they were 38 all round , and still run 38 allround with 19" 235/35 works fine with no adverse wear at al, I think tyre brand maybe a factor aswell .

32psi is too low for my old bus ,been running 38psi for a fair while now.

18" 235/40 factory pressures are depending on loading etc.
32 - 32
35 - 35
and 39 -39

i opt for 38psi on my 235/35 19" as it works just right with no adverse side effects, but like many things all down to personal choices etc.

I think tyre compound plays a big part aswell in ride quality, maybe just do 35 allround now .

235/40/18 here and I run 36 all round and have done for years.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Taken from my B7 A4
90d3427747ce755bcf72f7d458915fbb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

yep, same as on my old bus, pity they don't show a 19"

I run at 35 all round on the B7 with 235/40/18s - seems to work OK. I wouldn't have thought a 19" would be that much, if at all, different as the actual tyre footprint won't be a huge difference. Only my opinion of course. :rugby:

You are correct chap , but being a tad lower profile i'd prefer the wheel rim to stay as far away from the tarmac as possible.

Guess 36 seems like a good starting point then.
I find the harshness of ride induced by too hard a tyre to be quite annoying personally. On top of the S line suspension it can be quite ........ jiggly. :grumpy:
I had 35 profile tyres on one of my Calibras - kept getting sidewall punctures which is VERY depressing indeed as new tyre required every time. I even had a brand new tyre, only on the car for 9 days, suffer the same thing!! Maybe, in retrospect, I wasn't running them at a high enough pressure, thus allowing for 'pinching' to happen between sidewall & rim. Only a theory......
The chronic state of the roads (best descibed as a bunch of potholes joined together with occasional tar between them) doesn't help either. :sadlike:

Last edited:
With my current suspension setup the ride quality with 35 profile rubber at 38psi is very good, far superior to s-line oem setup in all departments.

As you say the rims are a tad close to everything so one needs to be super observant all the time with the poor road surfaces these days, even old cats eyes can ding the edges when cornering.....but it goes with the territory so I just make allowances for it all.

36 is peak feel/agility for me on the stock S-line suspension, but I agree it's annoyingly jiggly. I usually end up at 33 as a compromise.