Twenty20 World Cup

FactionOne

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
I've never been much of a fan of limited-overs, particularly 20-20; I prefer a proper test match because it can be so much more involved, refined, honourable even; and when the drama does come, it's often been brewing slowly, which only hightens it. I guess it's like comparing a symphony to a pop song.

...But I've been watching some more of the short game this season, and of course following the World Cup. There's no denying it can be relied upon for faster-paced action, and a photo-finish in almost every game - and it certainly has the potential to be entertaining.

I watched bits and pieces of the games today, not really paying much attention because I was quite convinced that both Ireland and England faced certain doom. I started paying close attention following Ireland holding Sri Lanka back to just a 9 run win.

I thought that was going to be the biggest shake-up of the day. How wrong could I be?

Well done England on getting through, and good luck for the coming game(s :)) - also sincere commiserations to the reigning (now outgoing I guess) champions on leaving the tournament.

...Being a proper Englishman I'm fully prepared for the run to falter in the not too distant future; but I really hope it doesn't, and they maintain their cool as they did today. Foster's stumping was definitely world class play, and probably the quickest, and most precise action performed by an English player since that wonderful summer of 2005. Mr Sidebottom, much as his being a Yorkshire man pains me to say it, deserves some praise for his committed effort in the field as well as with the ball. Hopefully they can all work together like that and have a fighting chance...

So, does anyone else give a hoot about Cricket?

Cheers,

Rob.

Rob,

Terrific England performance in the field yesterday. Really enjoyed it, while waiting to find out if my team had won our pro-am golf day yesterday. (We came 3rd...)

Also a great performance from Ireland. They should rightly be proud of their performance, and I wonder how much longer they will be a associate country?

I think it will probably go pear-shaped for England this afternoon, as the Windies are fired up after losing all their matches to us in April/May, but you never know...

I had the option for tickets to The Oval for Friday's semi-final but have a golf match I can't rearrange :sadlike:

My favourite format is test-match, but T20 is certainly entertaining. The only annoyance with T20 is that a bit of good/bad luck for either team can often pay more dividends than some really good skilful play.

The last week of college cricket this week 40 over games today and Wednesday, and a 20-20 tomorrow evening, then I lead my Computing Services team into the University Departmental T20 competition 2nd round starting on Ashes 1st day! We won it last year, so whoever said a bunch of geeks could not play sport!!

Do you play at all Rob?

Cheers,

First of all, well done on the Golf!

It's looking interesting at the moment eh! I'd like to see England have a few more runs on the board, but we've got a pretty decent bowling line-up to come on the field with very little natural light about. I just hope the Windies can get their five overs in - the weather (and I'm talking rain, not Windies (boom boom!)) knocking us out would be a real shame...

From your description of the frenzy this week, it certainly sounds like you give a hoot - good luck with the forthcoming competition!

I've not played since School - I wasn't too bad with a bat, and when pushed to it I've shared some wickets while wearing the gloves; but as I say, not played at all really for the last 10 years!

Oh... And as regards your proof that geeks can play sport... That stands, but as I used to do PC hardware R&D, now TV research technical stuff... It looks like you might've proved that geeks are the folks with the biggest interest in Cricket too! :lmfao:

Regards,

Rob.

Can't believe we might go out courtesy of the weather. Quite ironic for England though...

We have a pretty good team of geeks from within the University IT staff, some of whom actually know the rules!!!

Cheers,

So it looks like they'll have five overs and Duckworth Lewis scoring...

If the Windies don't lose a wicket in those five, their target is 47 runs - so 9.4rpo - high, given the English bowling attack (so long as they keep it together), but not completely pie in the sky. Of course if they take risks they could lose a man, and the required rate climbs.

I think given the geography you should pop around to Dr Lewis' house and request he knocks-up a last minute revision of the method that basically says:

"England win. Always" ;)

...But I guess that's just not Cricket!

**continues biting nails**

Regards,

Rob.

will be interesting,I hope Broad doesn't play like he did against the Dutch.

There's less KY jelly around when the dutch have gone home, hopefully that means he'll be able to hang on to it if required this time! Seriously though, I know how gutting it was that they got away from him, but to be fair I think he's done really well since then.

...Sounds like they'll get 9 overs now, with a target of 80? That brings the average down to 8.89; but I fancy the chances of a wicket or two in 9 overs...

Regards,

Rob.

PS> Welcome to geeks' corner J :)

80 in 9overs. Let's get Gayle out straight away please!!

Cheers,

...and I was just about to say that letting Gayle have some singles might be helpful too... Fletcher on strike is riskier for them...

...I promise I was too! :)

Rob

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111one

Go on Mr Sidebottom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woohoo!! Bye Bye Gayle!!

Just what the doctor ordered...

Should win it now!!

Just Bravo now, and they should be finished.

Cheers,

Jeez, Foster is quick at those stumpings!!

Whoooo Hooo!

I thought that last wicket was a stunner following them getting a couple of sixes (I think getting too confident, trying to give everything the treatment was what caught him out), but I can't believe James Foster with the stumps so fast for the second time in two days!

When was the last time we saw such skillful and coordinated work from an England side - and twice in two days!?! Awesome!

Rob.

The pattern will continue for England in the T20. Loss - Win - Loss - Win - Loss -> Out

Cheers,

7th and 8th overs were way too costly. Of course Sarwan and Chanderpaul are a good standard for middle-order, but considering the grip England had of the top order, the attack lost a lot of steam... It's a shame, because for those first few overs England were on fire, and looking like they'd walk it - and worry anyone else who qualified...

Rob.