Turbos gone, again!

dan77

dan77
Reaction score
I had my turbo go pop in 2011 when the car was 52k, it's gone again today and I've not even done 30k since, I don't rag the car, I always let it warm up and most of my driving is on the motorway, I'm supposed to moving into my new flat tonight but instead I'm stuck 200 miles from home awaiting recovery! Surely a turbo should last longer than that!

30,000 miles for a turbo is not a lot looked after with fresh oil should last 100,000 maybe more.
The turbo that has just gone was that a new or recon unit? Is there any warranty on it.
Any way sorry to hear and for it to happen so far from home, hope you get it sorted

Dave

It had two year warranty but that gone now, always been serviced, I suppose I've just got to suck it up and deal with it!

Was the cause of the last turbo going pop identified? My went last week and it was because of the porous head, they said if they just fit another turbo it would only last 30k. Could you have an underlying problem?

It was an OEM turbo(allegedly) the garage that did it didn't mention anything about the head, do you think I have any recourse if it's been improperly diagnosed?

Mine has done 103k and still going and I put it through its paces a lot but mines a ko4 turbo but still 30k something doesn't seem right there :/ I got issues with my diesel because I didn't run enough miles in a day costing me more and more money to fix so I gave it up for the real thing ;)

My bkd turbo blew at 60k then hybrid stae 3 running 250bhp is running now wel ive sold the car and its still runing fine these BKD turbos are absoloutly crap the internals are like made from chocolate so the shaft just melts under any heat, upgrade to hybrid mate its best option to make a turbo last on these cars

BKD turbos are shocking but 30k seems a really short length of time.

Was the cause of original turbo failing identified? Is it being oil starved? Are you letting engine idle for few min after coming off the motorway before u switch engine off?