TTS 2012 RNS-E / Navigation Plus - Bluetooth options

Edsr

Reaction score
Hi there,

First post. Back in the Audi camp with a 62 plate TTS - just put a deposit down today. I’m stepping down from a CarPlay setup with DynAudio so need to improve the ICE setup a bit without spending too much.

I’ve had Dension gateways before - generally good but expensive and buggy. I really want a reliable solution where I’m not trying to drive and cycle BT on/off or pull over and reboot the car so get the thing to work.

The TTS comes with a Navigation Plus unit (I believe also called an RNS-E) which seems the same as our old Seat Exeo - i.e you could use BT on the phone but for MP3 you had to use SD slots behind the screen - no BT audio. This one also has a Media button.

Also been reading about different version a of the RNS-E but have no idea which one would be in a 2012 registered car.

Currently looking at a Tune2Air but have some questions:

1. Is it reliable compared to alternatives (if not what’s best)?

2. Unfortunately the new car has a CD changer rather than an iPod socket in the glove box so I think that means I won’t have an AMI cable (unless the CD uses an AMI cable)?

3. Wishful thinking but just wanted to check that a 2012 model would still definitely not support Bluetooth music (I’ve heard of some kind of oem Bluetooth on specific car models and a discontinued aftermarket Audi accessory)?

4. Assuming all the above is correct then will I need a wiring loom like this?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adapter-...-/265013173589?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292
...and the tune2air just plugs into the AMI socket on the end of the new loom?

Really appreciate any help or advice. And if anyone has bits for sale, please let me know.

Thanks,

Ed

Last edited:
Evening all,

So this is getting way more confusing. The head unit in the car is the Nav Pro but it doesn’t say Bose anywhere on the door speakers.

Does anyone know if you could order the Navigation Plus and NOT have Bose? I’d assumed they were one in the same.

When I use the My Audi app and go to the owners manual section, it’s showing a more basic looking Nav with a red and black screen (monochrome) called BNS 5.0. - not the RNS-E / Navigation Plus that’s actually fitted. I’m wondering if a prior owner has swapped out the head unit, and that’s why the speakers don’t say Bose on them.

The car is set for delivery on Friday (obviously can’t go and view it so am relying on a patchy video from the dealership), so I’d really appreciate any help with this ASAP.

I was resigned to the fact I’d be getting a Bose system but this is looking a bit unlikely at the moment.

I’ve read most people saying that Bose is well worth it and I’m stepping down from DynAudio so not sure how keen on this car I am now.

Thanks

Ed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK so during an extended moment of tumbleweed I’ve gone and done a load of research (mostly on the TT forum) so am sharing the high level stuff here in case it’s of use to others. I won’t go into detail as I don’t have that yet.

1. The Tune2Air thing is basically the same size and connection as an iPod nano. It makes the car think any iPhone is connected direct to the socket when it’s actually using Bluetooth.

2. Therefore to use one, you’ll need either an AMI connection in your glove box OR an iPod connection. They are roughly the same thing and both are a black plastic box the same
Size and shape as a CD changer that go in the glove box recess - one has an AMI socket to which you can connect a variety of short cables to with different connectors on the end - RCA, 3.5mm Jack, USB, Old Apple, New Lightening, etc. The other is what an old iPod or pre-lightening iPhone would connect to - the old ‘dock’ type pre-lightening Apple connector - and comes with a variety of plastic wedges to allow different (old) apple devices to fit snugly.

3. But you can’t just swap the CD changer in your glove box to one of the above two plastic boxes - you need a cable that goes in between your head unit and the new black box (unsure but possibly replacing the one going to the CD at the moment).

Once you have done this you’ll need (a garage) to code the change to the system in via VCDS. There are guides on this.

So the Tune2Air will either need an AMI box or an iPod box. The latter of which gives you more limited connection options for things other than the Tune2Air giving you better flexibility later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk