Trailer + 7 pin hook up

If it's a standard setup it will be just a plain 7 core cable and socket, model specific cars have a loom that will be different as it has to be wired into the car differently because of the sensors, the two wiring setups will look and be different.

You'll need access to vcds or similar software to access the coding functions on your car.

Is the threads on here regarding VCDS and coding?

this may help you decide between model specific and generic kits.

I have a westfalia with plain generic kit and its been fine, but your choice really.

What is a dedicated wiring kit?
• Dedicated wiring kits consists of a vehicle specific wiring harness and control unit with vehicle connectors and relays designed to fit and operate specifically with your vehicle.

• Most kits consist of a trailer control unit, loom with corresponding plug in connectors, power and communication cables, fully detailed vehicle specific pictorial instructions and a high quality 7 or 13 pin socket. In addition you will also find a quantity of cable ties, fuses, and grommets necessary to complete the installation.

• Dedicated wiring kits are better than universal kits, because dedicated kits are specially designed to work in harmony with your vehicle’s electrical system. Some will communicate with other vehicle control units to alter other vehicle settings accordingly. This will also activate the dash trailer indicator warning light, deactivate parking aids and the rear fog lamps. These are model dependant features.

• "Dedicated wiring kits are generally not that diffcult to fit, much depends on the vehicle make and model. In some cases, a high degree of expertise is required. If installation is beyond your capability, we STRONGLY recommend you have it installed by a reputable towbar fitting company. They may even be able to re-code the vehicle subject to having the equipment."

• The benefits of a dedicated kit, is that when you tow the kit will alter (model dependant) the vehicle systems such as the trailer stability control program, suspension settings, traction control and anti-lock braking.

• Dedicated wiring kits operate three types of warning device (model dependant), audible bleeper, visual dash warning light when indicating and the original indicator warning light will flash at twice the usual rate when a trailer indicator has failed.

• In most cases, a dedicated kit will perform the full light functions after correct installation and a recode will not be required. However, if you wish to benefit from the additional safety features and other functions, then a recode may be required. Full recode details are included in the kit.

I. No Dealer Download required: Kit will perform full light functions without dealer recode.
II. Dealer Download Optional: Kit will perform full light functions, but will need dealer recode for disabling rear parking sensors & switch on visual warning device.
III. Dealer Download Compulsory: Kit will need a dealer recode for all functions, lights and safety features.

Thanks mate you've been a great help. Been quoted 95 quid to get the coding done from a mobile electrician. How does that sound?

Also aswell as looks as Rob said, the price is a big give away too. The oem style kits are around £150ish where as a universal kit is around £20.

Im currently thinking about upgrading my electrics to the oem style as my 7 way bypass relay has given up, and as i tow every weekend it would be nice to have full functionality

Reactions: tr7, Charlie Farley and Cbk1006
On the coding side of things a few things to be aware of.

Configuration
The following Activations are necessary to ensure that the newly fitted parts are properly recognized and are ready to use.

• Update the Installation List in the Instrument Cluster (J285 / #17).
    • Using the Adaptation Function, select Channel 061 (Installation List: CAN-Databus Comfort).
    • Now add the Value 64 to your existing Value (i.e. 3331+64=3395)
    • Further Information will be displayed once you access the Adaptation Channel.
  • Update the Engine Control Module (J623 / #01) Coding.
    • Make sure that the Engine is NOT running, otherwise the new Coding will be rejected. Models equipped with Start/Stop System do have a Shutoff Switch/Button which will deactivate the Start/Stop Function.
    • For Engines with a 2nd Engine Control Module (J624 / #11) this needs to be coded as well.
    • As a Rule of Thumb, If the Engine uses conventional Short Coding (Coding is 7-digits like 0011312) the Long Codding Assistant does NOT apply. Modules using Short Coding typically do NOT support or require Trailer Configuration Coding. If the Engine Control Module uses a Long Coding the Activation is done in (Long) Coding itself through via Coding Assist. Please also note that there are different Coding Variants for Long Coding.
    • Due to different Control Modules and Equipment in the Car the actual Coding Table is not shown here but will automatically be used by the Long Coding Assistant once you access the Function using VCDS.
  • Update the Central Electronics (J519 / #09) Coding, if installed.
    • Due to different Control Modules and Equipment in the Car the actual Coding Table is not shown here but will automatically be shown once you access the Function using VCDS.
  • Update the Parking Aid (J446 / #76) Coding, if installed
    • Due to different Control Modules and Equipment in the Car the actual Coding Table is not shown here but will automatically be shown once you access the Function using VCDS.

Special Notes
  • The Audi A4 (8E/8H) with 2.0 TFSI Engine does NOT require the Engine Control Module .(ECM) to be recoded.

Reactions: Cbk1006
Also aswell as looks as Rob said, the price is a big give away too. The oem style kits are around £150ish where as a universal kit is around £20.

Im currently thinking about upgrading my electrics to the oem style as my 7 way bypass relay has given up, and as i tow every weekend it would be nice to have full functionality
Let us know how you get on with this.

I've moved over my Westfalia from my S-Line to my Special Edition but yet to do the wiring. Would be very interested in doing it OEM if possible

Let us know how you get on with this.

I've moved over my Westfalia from my S-Line to my Special Edition but yet to do the wiring. Would be very interested in doing it OEM if possible

I'll keep you updated. I've sorted my laptop out too today which means vcds is back up and running ready for some coding.

Reactions: tr7 and Charlie Farley
If you're a regular user of a trailer or similar then an oem wiring kit maybe worth the outlay , for me thought it would'nt be worth the cost as i only use my old bus for very occasional towing these days, all down to usage really.

Reactions: AvantAlexB7 and Cbk1006
@tr7 i purchaced the dedicated wiring kit the other day and plan on fitting it in the morning. I'll let you know how it goes if interested

Reactions: tr7
100% looking forward to some pics :icon thumright:

Reactions: AvantAlexB7
Well got the kit fitted this morning which took a lot longer than expected! Had to pop the pins into the plug too but the wire colours were different to the usual universal kits so a bit of cross referencing was required.

The biggest job was stripping the interior out to route the additional loom with the existing car loom, down the nearside from the boot, under the rear bench seat then down the drivers side under the dash.

The instructions were fairly easy to follow and only had 3 soldered connections to make, 2 into the 2 orange can lines and a tap into the stop light feed. Also a terminal into the fuse box for the trailer control module fuse.

Although its all fitted im yet to code it all in correctly and get it functioning as it should as my laptop running VCDS has let me down at a critical moment, so once thats all fixed ill come back with an update.

But so far, very happy with the kit, the loom comes nicely made and plenty long enough to make for a tidy install.

20201017 124158

20201017 121421
used a spare wiring fixing i had lying around to attach the loom to hole in the body vent. I assume thats what an oem loom would be attached to. Also cleaned the rear panel and towbar down and applied a coat of wax oil to keep the rust away.

Okay so laptop fixed and coding complete... the coding instructions that come with the kit are very vague and not really much use. These westfalia fitting instructions combined with the coding info from Ross-tech is spot on. Sensor cut out works great and you also get a secondary symbol on the dash cluster when indicating so no annoying beep.

Note... 01 Engine Electrics system doesn't need re coding for 2.0tfsi models according to Ross-tech
Screenshot 20201017 163650 Drive

Nice! Exact towbar I also have.

Any chance you could share the parts you've orders and any prices please?

Would be very useful for any one else also :icon thumright:

Nice! Exact towbar I also have.

Any chance you could share the parts you've orders and any prices please?

Would be very useful for any one else also :icon thumright:

Yep absolutely. I bought mine from PF Jones's ebay site as its cheaper than their website. A little pricy in reality, but if you tow a lot, which i do and like things to be "proper" then its probably a good route to go.
Screenshot 20201017 202230 eBay