traffic jam assist ?

musicegbdf

Reaction score
Been seeing this on you tube pressing a button on the steering wheel.? Is this part of ACC with s tronic as can't see it mentioned in the brochure.....

Let"s see, now it's up to about
32 assists!

Reactions: Rob2k68
Ok but does it exist.?
The youtube clip shows a s3 ..
I assumed it was just the ACC working with the s tronic. , but the video shows the driver pressing a button on the upper right of the steering wheel.

It sounds a nice thing to have , though not sure how it links with the stop start.

Also wondering if there is a way for the stop start to be default as disabled

There is a driver programmable button on the right-hand side of the steering wheel marked with an * but I've not seen anything that says it can be linked to the ACC. With my ACC and s-tronic the car will move forward with the traffic unless it has been stopped for more than 3 mins. If it has then I can pull the ACC lever towards the steering wheel or just tap the accelerator and it moves. I assume the start/stop will just start the engine when this happens but I'm not sure because I have mine permanently switched off which I did using VCDS.

If I remember correctly from my test drives, the Golf has it's ACC controls on the steering wheel but on the left-hand side.

Ahhh , that makes sense. Thank you.
I will try and find the you tube video again and put up a link

Restricted in the UK and US due to legislation (apart from trials) but this is rapidly changing.

Looking at the video and in particular the instrument cluster, I think the car involved is a new A4 rather than an A3. It has the full digital instruments and perhaps the steering wheel button is going to be available on the new A4.

Just what I was going to say - it's not an A3. Was the steering automatically following the car in front? Is that a step too far?

They call it 'Piloted Drive', and it has been demo'd in a few cars now. I think they are waiting for legislation to catch up to be able to offer it as an option.

It's an option on the BMW i3 but you can't spec it in the UK.

(But I see its appeared in the Q7 brochure - interesting, perhaps they are trying this under "partial" autonomy? It's a bit vague, elsewhere in the brochure, it uses the phrase "supportive steering" - so does that mean that you need one hand on the wheel at all times?)

Last edited:
It would be interesting if someone could work out if we could use VCDS to program the driver programmable '*' key on the steering wheel to do the same as pulling up the ACC lever or tapping the accelerator to make the car move forward after the 3 mins.

Looking at the video and in particular the instrument cluster, I think the car involved is a new A4 rather than an A3. It has the full digital instruments and perhaps the steering wheel button is going to be available on the new A4.
I think that's an A6

In the video (2 years old), the vehicle is an A6. But it's not a normal production vehicle. It's an engineering test vehicle, which has many prototype bits on it.

Have a look at the video, 32" in, look at the airbag cover and steering wheel switches. Similarly, the instrument pack is a prototype or pre-production unit.

Last edited:
I wonder if the new A4 will include 'traffic jam assist'. I've so far not been able to find a detailed enough picture of the steering wheel to see what buttons are on it. It will have the new digital dash, probably as an option like on the TT, but what else is going to be available we will probably not know until the Price and Specification documents are available.

The new A4......... is going to have a central screen that does not retract/fold away. :)

The new A4......... is going to have a central screen that does not retract/fold away. :)
What difference does that make to where or not it has 'traffic jam assist"?

None, it was 'as an aside' incase you were wondering what other features the new A4 was going to have!

Reactions: Snibo and Blackwhite
Just wondered if there was some connection! Certainly all the pictures of the interior I've seen so far have it visible. I wonder if it is detachable so that you can use it like a tablet.

My car pretty much does his as it is with the cruise control in the adv tech package. Stops and starts on its own in traffic and leaves me staying in the lane with the lane assist. Pretty useful.