Facelift Top Gear facelift review

See, I disagree with this. I bought the S3 because it mixes performance with reasonable economy. If I just wanted a really fast car, then I'd have bought a Merc C63 or something, but I needed it to actually be acceptable to run everyday without crippling me in running costs. Having had an ST that was costing me £7,000 a year in fuel, it is quite a welcome feeling to have more performance and better fuel economy. It's what hot hatches are supposed to be, everything to all men (and women).

You guys are missing the point, I am not questioning the S3's day to day capabilities (I used to own one) what I am not in agreement with is the fact that because a facelift car has an extra gear it is somehow so much better at 'cruising at 80mph on the motorway' than the pre-facelift.

You guys are missing the point, I am not questioning the S3's day to day capabilities (I used to own one) what I am not in agreement with is the fact that because a facelift car has an extra gear it is somehow so much better at 'cruising at 80mph on the motorway' than the pre-facelift.
Yes because the car is doing 400rpm less which makes a difference. As the engine is quieter and better on fuel. Makes it feel more refined.

Yes because the car is doing 400rpm less which makes a difference. As the engine is quieter and better on fuel. Makes it feel more refined.

PMSL actually you're right, your facelift S3 is superior in every way . . .

Well, because it has an extra gear and thus cruising at lower Rpm's, it therefore is more economical and quieter which is better than the FL model. That's just simple fact.

I'm not saying the FL is miles better, because it's basically the same car. But inherently, improvements are made over the outgoing model which make it better product to buy. But if you were looking at used and could save money by buying a PFL model, then that's a no brainer surely? There's no getting away from the fact that Audi improved the car for FL with new tech, features, extra cog and more power and adapted the handling and made it a better product as a result. Either way, it's an S3... when the next model comes out, it'll be better than the FL.

This ^

PMSL actually you're right, your facelift S3 is superior in every way . . .

Not everyway, but it's been improved yes.

Reactions: Joe4842 and samo26
Not everyway, but it's been improved yes.

Fair play Mark, and if I sounded off before I do apologise but I'm not buying into this;

I can honestly say I think the facelift is miles better than the pre.

Edit: And honestly guys I'm a die hard Audi fan so I'm genuinely pleased you guys are all enjoying your cars - facelift/old model/8P etc etc

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark_86