Facelift Top Gear facelift review

Interesting... I shall examine this for myself this evening :smilingimp:

I can honestly say I think the facelift is miles better than the pre. It's quicker noiser and looks better! And the 7 speed gearbox is a dream!

Reactions: RSS-S3 and pburv
Can't wait for the complete new model to come out.:whistle2:........lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn, SamR92 and Jassyo06
Strange that they still say the R is a better car to drive. I've read the opposite from most who come over from the R to the S!

Reactions: BodegaBay, Audi Bairn, pburv and 1 other person
My brother had an R on order before cancelling due to the wait and ordering a TTS, he was impressed with the way it handled. I just fancied a change though so didn't test drive the R, wanted the S3 instead.

Reactions: Jassyo06
I think it looks awesome

I love it Personal pref

Followed a facelift lower-spec model for a bit the other day, when you don't have the S3 rear balance it's really messy with recessed bits and funny shapes. And the raised flanks over the tailpipes look weird without four, and look like they're too high... sure I'll warm to it but at the moment...

IMG 4007

Reactions: BodegaBay, Jassyo06, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
Followed a facelift lower-spec model for a bit the other day, when you don't have the S3 rear balance it's really messy with recessed bits and funny shapes. And the raised flanks over the tailpipes look weird without four, and look like they're too high... sure I'll warm to it but at the moment...

View attachment 116332
I like it, its notchy and has clear lines.

Very German

Reactions: Audi Bairn and TDI-line
Top gear magazine is a pile of steaming dog ****, always has been!

Its like they have a teenager that does all the reviews, so it ends up being full of sarcasm and stupid quips about things they dont like about the car they review.

They also (usually) bring up issues with cars that no one else can seem to find/feel when driving..

Reactions: richinsoton and Audi Bairn
I can honestly say I think the facelift is miles better than the pre. It's quicker noiser and looks better! And the 7 speed gearbox is a dream!

l am going to be blunt here Dean Yer spouting urine.....oot that hole below yer nostrils mate,dont try and justify your new purchase by saying its miles ahead..its not..."in the normal case of a pre facelift owner" jumping into a face lift car..."a rather short honeymoon period will ensue" FACT"....All guys new to the car will love it....thats a "FACT "as its a better product now....and a stunna,but not that much better for a guy that has the old S3 lol ....aye right l am going to fork another "£42k+ for a refresh model....NOT

Some on here just blurt out piffel....and dont think about the economics of such things...have a look at your yearly invoice from Audi when it comes through the letter box....l am still paying a £147/month interest....after 23 months....Bravado....extra gear and a wider grille and fancier lights.....A must have....at a very expensive cost....Rant over James...lol

Ps....most previous owners on here....of the S3 HAVE...jumped ship...ergo

Reactions: Martinbanshee, BodegaBay, Snake Pliskin and 4 others
You don't think it's massively different then Jassy? :tearsofjoy:

I can't comment as the FL will be my first S3

Reactions: richinsoton, Audi Bairn, Jassyo06 and 1 other person
l am going to be blunt here Dean Yer spouting urine.....oot that hole below yer nostrils mate,dont try and justify your new purchase by saying its miles ahead..its not..."in the normal case of a pre facelift owner" jumping into a face lift car..."a rather short honeymoon period will ensue" FACT"....All guys new to the car will love it....thats a "FACT "as its a better product now....and a stunna,but not that much better for a guy that has the old S3 lol ....aye right l am going to fork another "£42k+ for a refresh model....NOT

Some on here just blurt out piffel....and dont think about the economics of such things...have a look at your yearly invoice from Audi when it comes through the letter box....l am still paying a £147/month interest....after 23 months....Bravado....extra gear and a wider grille and fancier lights.....A must have....at a very expensive cost....Rant over James...lol

I'm 110% having another unless by some force of nature I can afford an RS or S4. Chill old Mucka! How are you anyway Uncle Jass?

Reactions: MikeParkin, Jassyo06 and pburv
The differences are pretty small. The FL does feel a bit more lively than the PFL, and you can 'hear' the additional clutch pressure being applied with Quattro in dynamic mode as the rear driveline shunts at low speed, so the rear axle is certainly working harder. But is it any 'better'? Not in any definitive respect and probably less so in the manual version. The extra cog in the S&Tonic version is a very worthwhile addition though, but it's essentially the same car, and it feels like it.

Top gear magazine is a pile of steaming dog ****, always has been!

Its like they have a teenager that does all the reviews, so it ends up being full of sarcasm and stupid quips about things they dont like about the car they review.

They also (usually) bring up issues with cars that no one else can seem to find/feel when driving..

What's your preferred read?

Reactions: Audi Bairn and pburv
The differences are pretty small. The FL does feel a bit more lively than the PFL, and you can 'hear' the additional clutch pressure being applied with Quattro in dynamic mode as the rear driveline shunts at low speed, so the rear axle is certainly working harder. But is it any 'better'? Not in any definitive respect and probably less so in the manual version. The extra cog in the S&Tonic version is a very worthwhile addition though, but it's essentially the same car, and it feels like it.

What's your preferred read?
I now and again read Autocar/Autoexspress but I only like to read the news. I like to see All the new cars being developed and released.
I now actually like to watch allot of various youtube reviewers... I tend to watch 2-3 different independent reviews of the same car. Ive decided this allows you to make the best understanding of a car other than driving it yourself.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Don't remember my PFL having 7 speed.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Martinbanshee and RSS-S3
EVO magazine is generally the best in my opinion. However, I agree the differences are very small and the PFL is as good as the FL. the extra cog is helpful, and it sounds better, but that's it. I do think the FL looks better though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Audi Bairn

If you read what I said, it says "I think". I'm not talking crap, coming from someone who has extensivly driven the prefacelift and the facelift s3 I think (<important) that it is miles better. Better on fuel, faster, better looking, better interior (VC and the white lights instead of red). And so much nicer to cruise at 80 on the motorway due to the 7th gear. Better spec standard (LED headlights etc...) and all in all it costs peanuts more. So yes it is miles better I think. And at the end of the day that's all that matters :footy:

You just know it will have the stuck on screen though :whistle2:
Ha ha.......Now if they fitted it on the rear of my headrest for the little boy in the back.....:yes:

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Scottyg and batch
If you read what I said, it says "I think". I'm not talking ****, coming from someone who has extensivly driven the prefacelift and the facelift s3 I think (<important) that it is miles better. Better on fuel, faster, better looking, better interior (VC and the white lights instead of red). And so much nicer to cruise at 80 on the motorway due to the 7th gear. Better spec standard (LED headlights etc...) and all in all it costs peanuts more. So yes it is miles better I think. And at the end of the day that's all that matters :footy:

Reactions: TDI-line, BodegaBay and pburv
You don't think it's massively different then Jassy? :tearsofjoy:

I can't comment as the FL will be my first S3

Tom this topic has been flogged to death lol
Not taking anything away from new or would be owners but from my point of view it's not worth paying more for over my existing car and it's not penny's more, like the millionaire Dean makes out... It's ****** expensive my spec was like £44k no thanks l'll wait

Reactions: Tom.H and pburv
I'm 110% having another unless by some force of nature I can afford an RS or S4. Chill old Mucka! How are you anyway Uncle Jass?

Am fine Nephew lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Scottyg, pburv and 1 other person
hey bro, got the car yet? im waiting on my dm full of pictures and first thoughts :)

Hi mate, there's some quick shots in the FL pics thread. But I'll get some proper shots and thoughts up at the weekend.

Reactions: Joe4842
Ha ha.......Now if they fitted it on the rear of my headrest for the little boy in the back.....:yes:

Now there's an idea............... a detachable screen, or is there one already?

Reactions: pburv
It's called a Tom Tom isn't it??.....lol

Two bits of gaffa tape, Bob's yer aunties husband! Kids will never know any different ha ah!

Reactions: Joe4842, pburv and Jassyo06
Two bits of gaffa tape, Bob's yer aunties husband! Kids will never know any different ha ah!
You been watching too much Blue Peter mate...Haha

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
My brother had an R on order before cancelling due to the wait and ordering a TTS, he was impressed with the way it handled. I just fancied a change though so didn't test drive the R, wanted the S3 instead.
R....???

For what it's worth I thought it was a good article. Anything written is written within context and no author is ever truly impartial... He may just be a VW nut and therefore think the Golf R is a better looking car with better interior ergonomics for him thus saying it is, in his opinion, better. But the article wasn't a back to back comparison so we'll never know why he signed it off that way...

Yes. the FL version is better on fuel and I'm sure the 7 box is better at 80 than my 6. It drinks fuel over 75 (but lets face it. If that was the principle concern we'd be in TDI S-Lines, right?). And I'm sure the toys are great too but you'd expect a new edition to be better than the last, especially with S cars.

Point is the S3 in either Fl or PFL is an awesome car and only true Audi bores will give much thought to the look of a valance or interior light pack. To the average person on the street they both look equally stand out and to the driver of pretty much any other car on road, even with 'sporting' pretensions, it will be look about the same as it pulls away into the distance.

Which reminds me; as for quicker... Both limited top end to 155 and I absolutely defy anybody driving a PFL S3 to feel genuinely remorseful that the sprint to 62 was done, with a DSG, in .300 of a second less than the new machine! (tip; if you care that much ditch the spare wheel, the tool kit, do it on quarter of a tank and strip out the deadening and you'll probably find three tenths).

PFL or FL these are some of the best cars out there - as the article affirmed - and, at the time each was new, it was the best S3 you could buy.

Surely we can all agree on that!

Reactions: Joe4842, AndrewB, Audi Bairn and 5 others
For what it's worth I thought it was a good article. Anything written is written within context and no author is ever truly impartial... He may just be a VW nut and therefore think the Golf R is a better looking car with better interior ergonomics for him thus saying it is, in his opinion, better. But the article wasn't a back to back comparison so we'll never know why he signed it off that way...

Yes. the FL version is better on fuel and I'm sure the 7 box is better at 80 than my 6. It drinks fuel over 75 (but lets face it. If that was the principle concern we'd be in TDI S-Lines, right?). And I'm sure the toys are great too but you'd expect a new edition to be better than the last, especially with S cars.

Point is the S3 in either Fl or PFL is an awesome car and only true Audi bores will give much thought to the look of a valance or interior light pack. To the average person on the street they both look equally stand out and to the driver of pretty much any other car on road, even with 'sporting' pretensions, it will be look about the same as it pulls away into the distance.

Which reminds me; as for quicker... Both limited top end to 155 and I absolutely defy anybody driving a PFL S3 to feel genuinely remorseful that the sprint to 62 was done, with a DSG, in .300 of a second less than the new machine! (tip; if you care that much ditch the spare wheel, the tool kit, do it on quarter of a tank and strip out the deadening and you'll probably find three tenths).

PFL or FL these are some of the best cars out there - as the article affirmed - and, at the time each was new, it was the best S3 you could buy.

Here is another bit to the equation my car in a face lift spec has risen by £1700

Very nicely put.....

Here is another bit to the equation my car in a face lift spec has risen by £1700

Does that included the ATARI digital dash too ? :)

WholeDash

Reactions: SPIKE_, Joe4842, Audi Bairn and 3 others