Tinted/Smoked Number Plates

DieselJake

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Where is the best place to get them?

Maybe I could just put a tinted piece of plastic over the original? (they're already in a plate holder) Don't really want to use film if I can help it.

From what I've been reading they're legal so long as they are reflective to some degree, to be honest I'm not too sure where the law stands with these but my car will soon be completely black which is why I have a sudden interest.

Anything regarding legality and where to get legal tinted plates will be much appreciated, opinion is not welcome as I know there's allot of love and hate for tinted plates :playful:

More depth to question if “what will allow reflection” should be here.
Even with film you might reduce the reflection, like on the head or rear lamps.
Plasti dip and similar may do same.
Rozzers will be on your case than.

I think eBay could be your first choice of research.

Do you want them flat, normal plastic ones, 3D gel tinted or pressed metal?

Been to Halfrauds?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guess it's hard to answer what will or won't allow reflection.

Had a bit of a look on eBay and most the plates I can find say they're not road legal other than this one; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STANDARD-...863623?hash=item466aa44e87:g:tY4AAOSwAQBZqebV if it's as dark as the images surely the plate can't be legal (but it says it is).

I'd be happy with just normal one's but tinted to match up with the car as it's very dark all over, it's got pressed plate's at the moment which are nice and police friendly.

Haven't been to Halfords but from memory they only sell normal plates and they're quite overpriced plus you have to bring all documents in and stuff to prove ownership of the car (which is fair enough I suppose but it is annoying).

Contemplating cutting something like this down to size http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Light-Smo...hash=item25d8729416:m:mkyCr2Zdyi-eZ1UPIXx6_oA

That first one looks nice but looks too dark to me.

Will it not be too thick with tinted perspex? You put them in a frame, presume?

Did you tried DVLA website, if there is anything about tinted plates? Maybe an email to them or call should shed some more light on that dark case. Lol

Another thing I just thought is ANPR or traffic/speed cameras. Not to mention car park cameras also. Would they be able to recognise and read the plate?
You might get stuck in a multi storey car park or not be able to drive in.

Pull up to any traffic copper and ask them politely, if they have any knowledge about it.
I did ask a guy on he’s lunch brake to ask him about front window tinting. With he’s mouthful he did not said much. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gosh what an odd thing to do !

A front number plate has to be black on white , the white would then become grey and grey isn't legal . But the law is a strange thing and probably it's allowed ?

To complete the '****' look tint the headlight lenses .

If you want some nice plates ,
Ultra Tek.

Reactions: gray99y
Reactions: DieselJake and gray99y
That first one looks nice but looks too dark to me.

Will it not be too thick with tinted perspex? You put them in a frame, presume?

Did you tried DVLA website, if there is anything about tinted plates? Maybe an email to them or call should shed some more light on that dark case. Lol

Another thing I just thought is ANPR or traffic/speed cameras. Not to mention car park cameras also. Would they be able to recognise and read the plate?
You might get stuck in a multi storey car park or not be able to drive in.

Pull up to any traffic copper and ask them politely, if they have any knowledge about it.
I did ask a guy on he’s lunch brake to ask him about front window tinting. With he’s mouthful he did not said much. Lol

Could be too thick actually, I hadn't thought of that, cheers.

Yeah I'm not sure what it would mean in terms of camera's, hopefully it wouldn't restrict anything (other than any fines I could occur obviously haha).

Gosh what an odd thing to do !

To complete the '****' look tint the headlight lenses.

If you want some nice plates, Ultra Tek.

I did say opinion is not welcome but as you've gone there I've already ripped the chrome inside of my headlights out and left the projectors silver to ensure the light emitted is still excellent (and they look much better!), also going to tint my rear lights and I know that's legal so long as you have a rear reflector (so I'll keep one in the boot just encase... and may stick one on somewhere too, I mean some car's come with black rear lights standard so I can't see them causing too much bother).

Oh also those Ultra Trash number plates look awful compared to my pressed metal plates.

9263809210812c0cd62bbd45078622a9--disney-humor-adult-humor.jpg

Found these two:

http://trafficlawadvice.co.uk/numberplates.html

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...le-registration-numbers-and-number-plates.pdf

As long as the seller you buy it from had their licence to make them (if such thing exist) and a obliged to all by the book, you've got nothing to worry about.
You can always request any type of proof from them, that they meet all the requirements. that way you'll covered.

Brilliant thanks for that, those sources sound quite promising so I'll ask the seller for more information regarding this to ensure I'm above the law.

Last edited:
Yes rear tinted lights are much better as you can see the difference when illuminated .

Some rear lights in full sun are dangerous .

Don't put them on your car then :slap: if anyone can't see the rear of the car in broad daylight they need to go to Specsavers.

Have you gone for them tinted plates, @DieselJake ?

Thinking of them myself.

Seen a 18 plate A6 of my customer, with lightly tinted plates on and got thinking about them ever since.
He said, he paid just over £80 for them but looking around the eBay, can get them much cheaper and from the same seller as I have recommended you before.

Also seen a Golf R in my area with tinted plates but even these ones were not as dark as the ones in eBay ad.

Checked DVLA for any update on plates but nothing states about them being illegal if tinted.
They only mention about the colour of the front plate, required to have white background and as been said above, this may become an issue to the police.

Sent from H P20 PRO

Hi mate, didn't try them in the end unfortunately but definitely still a fan, £80 certainly seems steep as you say, if they all asked for that cash I'd probably experiment with wrapping.

Circumstances changed and I live quite central now where police love stopping us without reason, so much so that (amongst other reasons) I've now got a fast Jap sleeper car instead of the Audi, the new car is kind of fun in a different way but allot less personal so may still get my stamp on it when the boring looks bug me enough.

Reactions: KrisKrk