Time for a build thread....big turbo

How come the WMI is potentially on the removal list?

A good job can never be rushed but some good progress has been happening recently, plus with no hiccups which is always appreciated!

I'm looking forward to seeing this latest batch of upgrades come together and see what she's capable of.

With the new revised turbo,plus the head work and the new ECU software,he thinks it may not be needed.

Reactions: HHS3
I've probably said already but I think the WMI may be on the removal list.....I don't think it features on Andy's keepers for the car this time round.

As above the programming plans are:

Remove the MAF.
Increase diameter of inlet piping.
Resite MAP sensor to inlet manifold (i.e.above the throttle body)
Run the car on MAP strategy.
New software updates from Syvecs to add functions.
Gearbox programming....flat shift with gear cut to minimise loading during shifts.

Then add the new steering wheel and paddles.

They said it's been easier than anticipated to get the various modules talking to each other,and best of all to the original DIS on my car.

The next things to do are to run the car for a while,and look for any leaks or other reliability issues,before loading all of the software updates and pushing the engine a bit.

That sentence suprises me, I think I read that the gearbox only cuts torque at 1000NM with VCDS in the measuring blocks (that's how I interpreted it atleast, I'll have to post a screen shot when I've put my subframe back on (it's far quicker to drop the gearbox without the subframe on as only the battery try and intake has to come off to get in above)
... but also surely having gearcut would make it more like a manual as there is a transition period as stock on the DSG to clamp both clutches briefly during gear changes while it transfers from one clutch to the other - or in your case is it to do with loading up the clutches and torque limit while changing gear - specifically clamping pressures?

On a side note, interestingly on my old Mercedes CL it had the map sensor on the front of the intake manifold so read vacuum pressure while on idle etc and had two vacuum pumps

Reactions: S3Alex
You know me...I don't know what goes on inside that thing!

As far as I heard or remembered I,the cut is for a few mS while the change occurs only and then back to business.
That may only be related to flat shifts though so don't take me too seriously!

Reactions: grainqey and Sandra
Mine has different shift patterns and clamping forces depending on whether I'm in drive, sport or manual. Manual being the fastest with less cut between shifts.

Reactions: grainqey and S3Alex
Mine has different shift patterns and clamping forces depending on whether I'm in drive, sport or manual. Manual being the fastest with less cut between shifts.

This will do all of those,with extra things like live tuning of signals sent to the DSG,plus variable torque reduction levels on shifts,and torque ramping after launches etc.

Reactions: grainqey and Sandra
I'm just surprised as the mechatronics on the dq500 will theoretically sort all the B.S out aslong as you send it correct inputs - If you want to map anything within the gearbox such as gear change stratergies then you can flash the maps for the different drive modes.....unless the syvecs is used to over-ride the mechatronic shift patterns though you'd have to quiz andy about that....unless you're going to be over the standard torque limit for example.

Part of the reason I went for the DQ500 is because there's very little chance I'm going to exceed the torque limit and it should have a better shift pattern than my mapped DQ250 - the shift patterns were more like old slush box patterns - I could possibly have the manual mode made properly manual or buy the X17 probably and just have a go at doing it myself

I'm going to try and have my engine map torque calculation corrected when I get chance as it will have a correction factor rather than gearbox flash for the torque limit (I've logged it) and it doesn't exceed 350NM from the engine which means its been "done" in the engine flash, I think I've seen approx. 487NM on the clutches which would obviously exceed the 350nm limit

Thanks
Alex

P.S post some videos when you can Alex we want to see what it's like :D I can post mine when I have a spare hand!

I'd have to ask him about most of that.

Syvecs designed the software with running a DSG in mind,and their latest software is going to be loaded onto it shortly to see what more we can get from the car.

The engine can exceed 700Nm,so I'm not sure how that means the ECU and DSG have to work together,although `i do know Andy runs his RS with stock clutches and the Syvecs.

I'd have to ask him about most of that.

Syvecs designed the software with running a DSG in mind,and their latest software is going to be loaded onto it shortly to see what more we can get from the car.

The engine can exceed 700Nm,so I'm not sure how that means the ECU and DSG have to work together,although `i do know Andy runs his RS with stock clutches and the Syvecs.

Lol and no worries Alex, from memory the DQ500 is fine upto 700NM on the stock map but will run into the torque limit if yours is going beyond that - that's a lot of torque!

I know that you can either tell pork pies to the gearbox and it will increase clamping pressure as required to a set point or you can increase the actual limit which should be a very small map in the file which I think is just a value but I've not really been looking through the map that much

Had a long chat with Andy this evening to get me up to date with what they've been doing...

Car has been on the dyno a number of times today,and no leaks or other issues found,which is a good first step.

They've got the car up to 550bhp already on only 1.8bar boost,without WMI and got 20bhp from changing the timing of the port injectors alone.

The combination of the new turbo and the head work has really helped,with the turbo coming on a lot faster than with the "old" GTX3582.
The torque peaks at 3500rpm now,and runs flat to 7400rpm,which is a massive improvement over what it could do before,when the engine didn't really come to life much before 4500rpm,let alone reach peak torque.

He had a series of suggestions before starting work on the mapping again tomorrow including running the Haldex from the ECU rather than off the Haldex sport controller,as it will integrate better,and allow the ECU to control how it reacts and to maintain torque delivery to the rear better.

There's more to come from the gearbox mapping as well,with the shift times coming down,and the flat shift working perfectly so far.

He said a different set of cams might get more from the engine,especially on the exhaust side,but it already felt fast enough on what we have.

There's quite a bit more engine and gearbox mapping and integration to come,but he seems very pleased with it so far.

Reactions: DeckedS3, HHS3, Alex_Wil and 3 others
Today's bad news....

Leaking rear shock.....I just checked and they were put on in 2013,so not bad I guess.
Anyway,that's got to go.

Reactions: grainqey
It's a good job you don't need paper to write down all these things on your to do list!

I suppose there's always something! - I've got to change a driveshaft lol

Will you go for the same again?

It's a good job you don't need paper to write down all these things on your to do list!

I suppose there's always something! - I've got to change a driveshaft lol

Will you go for the same again?

No...Andy has offered me a good deal on the same Bilstein gear as he uses on his RS,and I'm more than happy with that.

I will either sell,or revalve and then sell the kW kit.

On the good news side though....

Reactions: Jake 61, grainqey and S.
Bad news with kw. I'm not impressed with their quality. And good choice on moving to bilstein. May i know which kit are you going for? Also those wheels are sexy!! Make? Specs?
Hope you'll sort your beast soon!!

Bad news with kw. I'm not impressed with their quality. And good choice on moving to bilstein. May i know which kit are you going for? Also those wheels are sexy!! Make? Specs?
Hope you'll sort your beast soon!!

MB Design LV1 as recommended by Storm.
Andy has the same on his RS....those are 20"rims with 235 section tyres.

Lovely wheels, just need MY11 rear lights :rockwoot:

There's enough stuff coming off and going on this car already.

I may need a boot sale shortly.

O2Q gearbox plus Quaife diff
kW Clubsport suspension
245 x 40 x 18 Toyo R888R tyres
Team Dynamics 1.2 rims....

The list gets longer.

Reactions: grainqey, S., HHS3 and 1 other person
Probably the cheapest mod though.. lol

Coming along nicely can't wait for your feedback after the first drive.

Reactions: grainqey and S3Alex
What prompted the change of wheels?

A lot of advice.....

I've felt the handling was a bit sloppy for a while,and been through camber and suspension changes but still didnt feel right.

Andy took a good look at the suspension and the wheels,plus the offset and so on and came up with the idea of these wheels(from his RS in fact) for a trial run,and got a lot of improvement out of it,so I decided to go with the advice,given his description of how the feel of the car previously compared closely with mine.

Reactions: grainqey and Rob C
Very rapid suspension turnaround.....

Reactions: grainqey and S.
Suspension is fitted and ready for geometry,then more engine and gearbox setup.

Very impressed with the speed of stripping the existing shocks off,and fitting the new ones.

Just waiting on steering wheel from LedermanZ and then the rims and tyres....PS4 this time.

Reactions: Kaine19, HHS3 and S.
Suspension is fitted and ready for geometry,then more engine and gearbox setup.

Very impressed with the speed of stripping the existing shocks off,and fitting the new ones.

Just waiting on steering wheel from LedermanZ and then the rims and tyres....PS4 this time.
Ps4s if you are on 19" now? They should be better tham ps4.

The set recommended is 235s on 20"rims.

It certainly looks better,and Andy says it handles a lot better even with the base settings I had on the kW shocks.
The Bilsteins again are the same as he has on his RS.

It's a fairly costly change,but improving the handling I think is essential.....I'd gone a long way with trying to get it working properly on the previous setup but it still felt a bit "floaty" at times,and that's pretty much exactly the description he gave after driving it as well.

If the overall package performs anywhere near as well as it seems as if its doing already,I'll be well pleased....he says it's already way quicker.

Reactions: S.
That guy really knows his stuff.
Bilsteins seem a better choice especially because they are much easier to set and change bump and rebound.

That guy really knows his stuff.
Bilsteins seem a better choice especially because they are much easier to set and change bump and rebound.

Every time I talk to him,he's willing to spend time to explain an idea or a problem,and whilst my knowledge is limited by comparison,it's always very intelligent and sensible advice,with good reasoning behind it.

kW are difficult to set up(v3 and Clubsport)as there are so many levels of adjustment,but this time,Andy's doing the work!

You'll like the Bilsteins, so much easier to use. You sure you want 20's on there?

You'll like the Bilsteins, so much easier to use. You sure you want 20's on there?

If it works...
And if it sorts the problems then I'm happy.

Just no Spinnaz

I switch between 18 & 19's fairly regularly. I'm sure I prefer the 18's but maybe it's a weight thing. Let us know how you get on with the 20's.

I switch between 18 & 19's fairly regularly. I'm sure I prefer the 18's but maybe it's a weight thing. Let us know how you get on with the 20's.
Definitely.....

These were from Andy's RS as a trial,and they not only look fine,but fit,and seem to work well with the suspension so that all sounded very positive.

They're lightweight enough at around 12kgs each also.

Car is slowly coming together although there's still a lot to be done.

Drip feed continues......

It has a steering wheel,but it needs the high-line steering module to make it work.....I told Andy a while ago that this car never gives in easily.

75515081-EDC6-46C5-A640-C81ECAFB8E1E_zpsxrshakpa.jpg

Reactions: grainqey and S.
Looks really great! I should get mine done in alcantara i think it makes cabin special place to be.
After all things you have done, steering module is nothing!

Looks really great! I should get mine done in alcantara i think it makes cabin special place to be.
After all things you have done, steering module is nothing!

Thank you.

I think they've done an amazing job.
I've not driven it but if a man whose car is a 740bhp TTRS says it's fast then I am very happy.

I thought about trimming the dash etc in alcantara but maybe another time.

Drip feed continues......

It has a steering wheel,but it needs the high-line steering module to make it work.....I told Andy a while ago that this car never gives in easily.

75515081-EDC6-46C5-A640-C81ECAFB8E1E_zpsxrshakpa.jpg
I think I have a spare module but is yours before 07 as the spare I have is rev F from memory

I think I have a spare module but is yours before 07 as the spare I have is rev F from memory

Thank you....that's very kind.

I think Andy has already sent for the module.....that man is very efficient!

Reactions: grainqey, S. and dg-1984
I've spent the last month reading through this thread from start to now and my god you've done a lot to this car! I've learnt so much just from reading this, keep up the good work! :)

I've spent the last month reading through this thread from start to now and my god you've done a lot to this car! I've learnt so much just from reading this, keep up the good work! :)
Thank you

I can honestly say I personally have done absolutely nothing!

Seriously though without help from here and the now sadly defunct VAGOC I'd learnt a lot at the start and then had the help of two excellent tuning companies in getting this car going so well.

It's been a long project,and there's still work to do before it's roadworthy again,but it's coming together.

This thread is just a way of getting other forum members to part with their cash too.....

Last edited:
Reactions: martinivw, KentKid, Pazzer and 2 others