Ticking/Tapping

Pro-cookie

Reaction score
Hi guys.
1.8 SE AVV engine code, I have a tappety/Ticking sound coming from under the black intake manifold toward the front of engine on right hand side as you look at it, it increases with engine revs. I have no management light on and doesn’t,t appear to affect what little performance it has lol.
Does anyone have an idea what this could be? And is it something I should be worried about?
Thanks in advance guys.

I did the cam belt and tensioner about 5000 miles ago also it sounds like it’s above and behind that. I must admit Leo I thought for a while it was blowing a little harder than normal through the rocker which would suggest it could be the pcv valve.

Next question is how easy is it to replace one and what does it look like lol.

You'll have to investigate. Trace pipes and check. Heard some people use a spray and check for idle change. But can't recall what type of spray. Guessing as going into intake could just get away with water.
Personally I would just get a catch can and remove the pcv system. Bl**dy coats everything in oil.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

I have got lots of random oil leaks five in total from bizarre areas so I’m guessing then that it must be pcv blocked hence things as you say are coated in a film of the stuff. I’ll have to look into how to fit a catch can then as I’ve never had one or done it lol. It might also look odd as it’s a non turbo basic engine people might think I’m trying to make it something it’s not

I'm new to catch cans too. But have been advised to delete pcv system on 2.7 biturbo, as intercooler hoses can have so much oil you can pour it out. Also have a 2.4 v6 and thinking of doing same as, smell oil in car after short trips. After my research, usually involves removing all pcv system, plugging pipes and maybe a ecu software mod to stop a check engine light.

By 2.7 pcv system do you mean spider hose and pcv?
I bought the lot new from tps recently (6 months back) for a very reasonable £120.
Who told you to delete out of interest?

Researched oil catch cans, and Justin balou on YouTube, most people say the lower IC hoses fill with oil. Only reason they did not fit from factory, was (IMHO) emissions and expecting the end user to empty regularly.
Please tell me if I am wrong.

I’ve had similar issues before with Pcv check valves on the AEB. Blew oil out of every possible orifice. Boost pressure entering PCV and made a clicking-tapping under load.

Also had a non turbo 1.8 and that one clicked and was tappety. And oil pressure warning light didn’t come on but not surprisingly the oil pump pickup was blocked. I’d check that out first if it’s not been done before.

Ok is it easy enough to do? I’m assuming the sump off once I have a replacement gasket for it, but does the pick up come off easily? It’s AVV engine code.

To get the sump off you either have to slacken engine mounts and jack up so sump will clear subframe enough. Or I normally take all bolts out of sump then get various 1/4” drive extensions between the gap of sump and block and unbolt the pickup pipe. The engine still needs jacked up though with this method. But not as much.

Ok thanks mate, don’t suppose you know the size of the sump plug do you? I’m going to replace mine and the seal.

Depends which sump plug you have. New style is 19mm , new sump plug comes with the seal. The old school sump plug is 17mm if I remember correctly. And that one has the replaceable massive copper washer

AVV Engine code it’s a 2000 so more likely to be the old one then. Cheers buddy :thumbs up: