Thermostat?

quattrogone

Quattro Back!
Reaction score
I'd noticed recently occasionally after a short drive the fans would be running after switching the car off, thought it strange as never done this in the time that I've had the car.
Anyhow today it did it again, I waited by the car and it only went on for a few minutes, then once back in the car and driving home I notice the temp gauge go up fairly rapid (car's always sat at dead on 90 even in traffic) and at the same time I had an warning for checking coolant level and switch car off!
So I get out pop the lid and have a check over, coolant spot on and no visible leeks anywhere, alt' belt all ok and and even checked the oil cap and that was also normal..
Car is a 2011 2.0 tfsi, is this most likely to be a dodgy thermostat? I would go straight to the garage but nothing open here until next week!

If the thermostat is bang on 90 degrees I wouldn't worry unduly, especially as there's no other signs. If you have VCDS - you should run a scan. I thought it might be in regen mode, but it's a petrol. Read this, like I said I wouldn't start changing anything until you've scanned it first.

I've also read the air conditioning pressure sensor G65 could be potentially linked.

If I turn the heating off the temperature gauge goes straight up if I turn it on it instantly goes back down. Only other thing is that the car is on 106k and probably on og water pump...

This is a 2017 model - Dave Sterl's video is interesting. This was for a coolant leak.

Is the thermostat and pump integral on a 2011 model?

Had the temp sensor changed today and no different, drove car without heaters on Hi (had them set at 19.5, fan on 3 ) After a short while the gauge shot up, then went into the red and alarm warning as before (check coolant / turn off engine e.t.c.) drove on a little bit to first available pull in, left car running and checked the coolant tank and the water had hit the top and smelt hot.
Turned off car and waited a couple of minutes before driving home. If I have the heaters on full blast and at 26 or above, needle stays on 90 and fans don't even come on when I stop.
Keep checking coolant level and it's always sat on max so not losing coolant.
If the water pump wasn'nt working would I still be heat from the heater?

Hopefully this seems to be sorted now, ended up changing the the thermostat along with the water pump and belts e.t.c. garage informed me that they could do just the thermostat but my engine has the set up that's all in one with the pump so fitting the entire kit would make more sense. So far the temp is staying dead on 90 so all seems good!