The value of Quattro?

Which would you go for?

• Total voters
Being an owner of an M240i I can tell you that the car (which has an all-time great engine) is an absolute monster

The engine is amazing! and much stronger, once you get the grip than S3. I was torn between 140i and S3 9 months ago, however, the quattro done it for me.

agree on 300+ BHP cars needing 4wd but my point was a 200 BHP car doesn't

we have just chopped in our 135i with the N55 and the engine was a peach. Tyres where great in warm weather but terrible in cold

the 135/140 only get into their stride above 60mph - the way the car goes from 60 mph to 100 mph is more impressive than 0-60

the downsides to the 135/140 in my opinion was handling- never felt comfortable at higher speeds - front end was light and back end never settled - PAS was also terribl e- no feedback

was a great car though

Reactions: Ormesome
agree on 300+ BHP cars needing 4wd but my point was a 200 BHP car doesn't

we have just chopped in our 135i with the N55 and the engine was a peach. Tyres where great in warm weather but terrible in cold

the 135/140 only get into their stride above 60mph - the way the car goes from 60 mph to 100 mph is more impressive than 0-60

the downsides to the 135/140 in my opinion was handling- never felt comfortable at higher speeds - front end was light and back end never settled - PAS was also terribl e- no feedback

was a great car though

Point taken re: lower powered cars, though I refer back to my point about the FWD A6 with 200BHP spinning its wheels in first gear in the dry, which has also been mentioned in one or two reviews of the car.

I agree with the point re: M-Lite handling. There is just way too much power available for the chassis to handle and the lack of LSD as standard in a car with that much power and torque is ridiculous.

also people think 200PS needs fake 4wd, i really question there ability to drive

as stated a FWD with a set of winters would eat a 4wd haldex with summer tyres in terms of capability - its classic marketing telling people how they need 4wd on a 200PS petrol car that probably spends most of its time on school runs and most off roading is pavement parking whilst dropping the kids off

also why add over 100kg in weight for function of 4wd that you will barely use

You're right. Its much better to have to manage the power in the lower gears so it doesnt spin just to prove that you can actually drive properly. Forget the 4wd its a complete waste of time and is only for people who dont know how to drive. Defacto.

Point taken re: lower powered cars, though I refer back to my point about the FWD A6 with 200BHP spinning its wheels in first gear in the dry, which has also been mentioned in one or two reviews of the car.

I agree with the point re: M-Lite handling. There is just way too much power available for the chassis to handle and the lack of LSD as standard in a car with that much power and torque is ridiculous.

All FWD cars will spin their front wheels in first gear. It's how you manage the throttle / clutch that determines wheelspin or not. As others have said, 200bhp these days doesn't require AWD. Back in the 90's AWD for deemed necessary, but suspension and tyre technology have moved on.

A Fiesta ST has 200bhp, and AWD wouldn't make it a better car. It would make it a worse car. Too much weight, and not enough power to utilise it.

Reactions: NevMan
For that price difference, bigger engine and Quattro I know what I would choose, but agree need to spec decently and often that brings price down as balloon bigger.

With all the rain we have in this county 4x4 is a much better place to be, and yes, if winters too then even better. But 2WD with winters are better than 4WD without in my opinion.

They should also do the usual car wow etc to drive price down. Deals to be had in this climate

Reactions: S32B
For that price difference, bigger engine and Quattro I know what I would choose, but agree need to spec decently and often that brings price down as balloon bigger.

With all the rain we have in this county 4x4 is a much better place to be, and yes, if winters too then even better. But 2WD with winters are better than 4WD without in my opinion.

They should also do the usual car wow etc to drive price down. Deals to be had in this climate
I don't believe specs affect the GFV, I'm pretty confident the GFV is the same for a basic spec S3 and fully loaded S3 for example. Remember reading this somewhere.
Argument would then be your value would be higher at the end than the GFV if mileage is within the limit and it's higher spec.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: S32B
also people think 200PS needs fake 4wd, i really question there ability to drive

as stated a FWD with a set of winters would eat a 4wd haldex with summer tyres in terms of capability - its classic marketing telling people how they need 4wd on a 200PS petrol car that probably spends most of its time on school runs and most off roading is pavement parking whilst dropping the kids off

also why add over 100kg in weight for function of 4wd that you will barely use

Agree, although Quattro would be nice to have, i have never once gotten into any of the cars i've had whilst its been raining and thought 'god i wish i had 4WD right now'.

Again like i say it's nice to have, especially when we do get a little bit of snow but that said, i've never been left stranded in any 2WD car when i've been out of the house with snow on the roads.

I don't believe specs affect the GFV, I'm pretty confident the GFV is the same for a basic spec S3 and fully loaded S3 for example. Remember reading this somewhere.
Argument would then be your value would be higher at the end than the GFV if mileage is within the limit and it's higher spec.

Certainly hasn't been the case for me in the past, but maybe varies by models. was the case for me on 1st gen Q5 S Line Plus, and current X3 M40i

Some years ago we had bad snow for a few weeks, those down the hill couldn't get out for two weeks. I drove out in my S3 with summer tyres and waved as neighbours were digging cars out. Last year in the beast from the East I travelled a couple of hundred miles with snow at both ends with no issues in my S4, summer tyres (Goodyear F1). Quattro is not invincible but makes things a lot safer in all conditions. All season, or winter tyres will help in winter/snow, but not as good in other conditions. We have recently replaced the all seasons on my son's Focus with more all seasons, but will probably get F1s or PS4S for my current S4 when the tyres wear out.

Reactions: NevMan
Certainly hasn't been the case for me in the past, but maybe varies by models. was the case for me on 1st gen Q5 S Line Plus, and current X3 M40i
I found it a lot better to lease a higher base model (e.g. I had a Q5 S Line Plus) compared to my Mini Countryman which has almost every option ticked but not the Chilli/Pepper packs. It's the 'base' spec that you choose which seems to control the GFV, not the individual options ticked. This was the position a few years ago anyway, I've been out of the leasing game (thankfully) as I bought the Countryman, sold the Q5 and bought my S3 second-hand with a bank loan

I found it a lot better to lease a higher base model (e.g. I had a Q5 S Line Plus) compared to my Mini Countryman which has almost every option ticked but not the Chilli/Pepper packs. It's the 'base' spec that you choose which seems to control the GFV, not the individual options ticked. This was the position a few years ago anyway, I've been out of the leasing game (thankfully) as I bought the Countryman, sold the Q5 and bought my S3 second-hand with a bank loan

it’s depends on the type of options.
Most cars have sat nav as standard so adding something tech pack adds very little to the gfv as the standard car without tech pack still has a sat nav. If the car has 18in alloys and you spec some fancy 18in rotors it’s not going change the gfv.
I found things like safety systems like lane assist, pre sense, acc etc increases the gfv relatively well compared to other options.

Reactions: HertS3

Already Given them the links for carwow, coast2coast etc :)

When I had a look at the new JCW I asked about the GFV/options etc she told me that individual options didn't change the GFV, but the 'packs' did, as they are able to add them to the cars price/gfv/resale.

Reactions: Adam14

Never leased personally, but for example the sline plus was £10p/m more than the Sline and that was something like £3.5k cheaper at the time.

X3 M40i I got for less than general price for standard M40i, and has M Sport + Pack, Pano Roof and folding mirrors

Reactions: TYb
lol mate just sent me this, I said I couldn't live with the back of the car like that...he didn't see what I was on about...bet you guys do :) https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201905097765095?

I had a loan Q2 30 TFSI for about 6 weeks when my S3 was getting it's engine transplant.

To be fair, it wasn't a bad ride. But not great. The gearbox was ok, but not great. The interior was not bad, but not great. Better than the A1 interior though.

I think the Q2 is a car for people who generally just want to get from A-B relatively comfortable, and still able to tell fellow mums at the school gates that they've just bought a new Audi.

The exterior of the car however, looks awful. And I really don't see the point in an SQ2. Dropping an S3 engine in it might have seamed a good idea at the time, but most mums don't want or need 300bhp, and it's not exactly aimed at the boy racer or anyone after a fast hatch / saloon.

They'll sell some in small numbers. I would assume most SQ2's up for sale on Audi forecourts are the cars they got in a demo's

Reactions: Bryant1998 and Adam14
I had a loan Q2 30 TFSI for about 6 weeks when my S3 was getting it's engine transplant.

To be fair, it wasn't a bad ride. But not great. The gearbox was ok, but not great. The interior was not bad, but not great. Better than the A1 interior though.

I think the Q2 is a car for people who generally just want to get from A-B relatively comfortable, and still able to tell fellow mums at the school gates that they've just bought a new Audi.

The exterior of the car however, looks awful. And I really don't see the point in an SQ2. Dropping an S3 engine in it might have seamed a good idea at the time, but most mums don't want or need 300bhp, and it's not exactly aimed at the boy racer or anyone after a fast hatch / saloon.

They'll sell some in small numbers. I would assume most SQ2's up for sale on Audi forecourts are the cars they got in a demo's
He's married with kids, so wants something practical, easy to get in and out, decent boot space, looks OK without looking too sporty and can still be fun. Not much else for £30k around.

I’ve not read the comments below but I’m guessing NUMBER PLATE.
:thumbs up::thumbs up:

Reactions: Goner