The TQS Owners thread

get yourself a set of s3 carriers and upgrade your front brakes while you're at it. Will be doing mine as soon as ECP decide to send out my discs. I'm still thinking of doing the suspension as mine is sitting pretty high at the moment, but it's one of the more expensive mods. Are you going for a forge tip?

yeh forge tip will be on the list mine is on the s3 suspension and the tyres are only 30mm from the arch so coilovers aint gonna be worth it.
will stay with current brakes at mo just upgrade the pads and lines.

think i will keep the car for couple of years so big turbo is on the cards will get bit by bit instead of trying to finish the car asap.

gotta get some poly bushs for front as near side bush is worn will replace that first along with other side front and rear bushes on front wishbone

saving for exhaust 3" all the way through with 200cell cat then will get forge tip and forge dv

once that is done will probs get remap.

then look at some 996 calipers for front.

then get suspension billy b8 with eibach or h&r springs and rear tie arms had this set up before mines the tie arms and loved it.

uprate the clutch.

quick shift.

this is what my plans are so far wont be anytime soon just bit by bit

I'm going to be keeping mine for a while, but I'm too impatient and want it all done now! Having a fair few bits done to it next week (performance/maintenance & visual), so that should keep me happy for a week or so, but the turbo bits will be done in stages, with the turbo and remap done last.

lol im far too impatient aswell,been looking around at turbos lately and im totally torn between hybrid or gt28rs, theres a few gt kits on ebay at the moment for really good money!! this week im expecting to recieve 2 front outer cv joints, rear wheel bearing and 2 new abs sensors so am fitting that lot on the weekend along with a k&n oil filter, fresh oil and changine my current green 007p spring for the yellow one as im losing boost once it gets to 22psi! should keep the ****** thing happy for a few weeks before something else needs doing!!

yeah 200 quid on an engine cover is extremely hard to deal with baring in mind a carbon bonnet is only 300 quid more?

rees how much did you pay for your carriers? every **** on ebay ive messaged has come back with rediculous prices of upto and over £300! that cant be right surely!?

I know that prawn off of here had some, but they've probably gone now.. I too am getting one of my outer CV gaitors done, as well as a front wheel bearing and a track rod end. I'm also getting the red engine dog bone bush, abt grill, s3 carriers and discs, DS2500 pads and goodridge lines fitted as well. So it'll be like a new car again, until next week when something else wears away, needs replacing.

What tyres are you lot running? I'm looking at some Toyo T1-R's from camskill which comw in at £79, if any of you have them or can recommend anything else at around that price, I'd be grateful. I had them on my old 1.8 corsa and they were pretty decent.

had them on my old 106 gti was great im running falken 452's carnt find a better tyre than them at mo got them from camskill £65 each i think they were bought them in november.

they were even gripping in the snow thats how impressed by these tyres i am

They're five quid each cheaper then the Toyo's, I had falken's on the 18's I had and they were pretty good, might get some of them instead. Cheers Paul. The bloke who had the S3 wheels before me must have been a bit of a cheap skate, as I have a pair of Linglong and a pair of accelera tyres, neither of which inspire any confidence in the rain!

Random question, with out sounding chav, can anyone spin the wheels at all? I've launched mine hard in the wet and I have no slip at all!

i turned the traction off and tried a hard launch in the dry and got no slip, haven't tried it in the wet though

Not managed to spin mine either but can get it drifting lol :D

Any of you running spacers? I have 225/45/17s but not sure which spacers to get?

Mine spins if I pull off over 4500ish! God knows what it's going to be like when I get my 28rs on and mapped up :)

I'm normally pretty gentle on pull of, get it into 2nd and then give it the beans, but that's only because I don't fancy paying for a clutch.. Are you changing the rod's when you do the BT conversion? I'm assuming the map will be at Badger 5?

Also, did you speak to Prawn about those carriers, or had they gone?

Getting all of the bits sorted on thursday, as well as the brake upgrades, will report back on here when it's all done. I'm hoping to see a bit of a difference

agh no i havent spoke to him yet! ill pm him now :laugh:

nah im keeping the rods stock for the moment but not going to run very high boost i think, see how the clutch copes before i change the rods and up the boost becuase both the rods and clutch are a £1000 job so id rather get the clutch done first if it needs it.

the turbo gives quite a smooth torque curve or so ive read which means that its abit more rod friendly aslong as your not running silly boost

not too sure about where the map is coming from, theres a place close to me called south west in car tech who has quoted £400 with power figures between 300-340, how accurate that is im not too sure at the moment but might pop down and see them before the turbo goes on to see what they are like in person before commiting to anything

Wouldn't it be worth chatting to Tufty to see where he got it done, as If I remember correctly, he has the same turbo?

Tried a 5k hard launch today... All that happened was that everything disappeared past me quite quickly. No slip, no fuss, just grip + go. I love 4wd :w00t:

went and picked up my turbo lastnight! cant believe the size of it in person!! dead happy! cant wait to get it all fitted ill get a pic up later!! :jump:

When are you fitting it mate, and if you don't mind me asking, what was the damage to the bank balance?

hey sorry its later than planned! some pics!

heres what i got upto tonight

old shiny intercooler taken off and new forge one popped on! theres a little bit of difference in size!!! lol
SAM_1001.jpg

bumper barely went back on and i removed the crash bar rather than hacking it up incase it ever goes back to standard!
SAM_1003.jpg

SAM_1006.jpg

quick pic of the turbo when i got it home, ive since cleaned it right up and it looks almost like new!! still cant believe how big it is in the flesh :laugh:

bdb66820.jpg

a22e8f34.jpg

well im only out about £1000 now but if you include all the other bits ive already done to the car to prepare it for this upgrade id hate to imagine whats been spent! all i need now is some 550's and a custom map so im probably looking at a good £700 left to spend id expect. it'l be going on after my MOT which is this month just so i can stick the decat on with no problems for a year touch wood!!

Looks good mate, bet you can't wait to get that on now! Don't think I'd like having my CAI so close to the road though, one deep puddle and it's all over

Last edited:
i honestly cant frickin wait, having it sat in my kitchen staring at me is killing me!!

yeah im not too set on how low it sits either, im tempted to just get rid of it when the turbo goes on and get a jetex or something similar, it does make a pretty sweet noise though!! and a very noticable difference when your on the motorway cruising at 70 in 5th and floor it the revs pick up so much faster

What made you go for the GT turbo over the Hybrid? Just a right price at the right time thing?

I've got a K&N at the moment, but I don't really like it as last time I cleaned it, it set off the eml and it needs cleaning again soon. I'm also tempted to get a Jetex cone filter as well, or a pipercross panel filter as I've got my standard Airbox in the loft

Quattro1

Have you done any VCDS logging since changing you FMIC? I'm just curious as to how much better the huge Forge cooler is at cooling the charge air than your old small one.

Get out of here with your S3!!!! :lmfao:

Would be interesting to know though, and where did you source the IC from?

Get out of here with your S3!!!! :lmfao:

Would be interesting to know though, and where did you source the IC from?

lol sorry for imposing. I'm fitting a FMIC very soon and I was just wondering on the difference between the small cooler and one thats over twice the size. The one i'm fitting is a small one but I will be keeping the drivers side side mount. I'd have thought that a lot of the forge cooler doesn't even get much cool air as its tucked up behind the bumper away from the grill.

You're doing a similar thing to S3Dave are you? I'm also looking at fitting a FMIC soon, and like the thought of a smaller IC so that I don't have to modify the crash bar. I wondered about the large intercooler getting air to the top, but I suppose the bigger IC has the potential to take more air in, so it's probably worth it.

You're doing a similar thing to S3Dave are you? I'm also looking at fitting a FMIC soon, and like the thought of a smaller IC so that I don't have to modify the crash bar. I wondered about the large intercooler getting air to the top, but I suppose the bigger IC has the potential to take more air in, so it's probably worth it.

Yeah i've nicked a few ideas off Dave. He's running 290ish bhp from a stage 2 and his intercooler setup is doing the job so it should be fine for what I need.

What plans have you got then mate, apart from fitting your new S4 wheels? (which I'm not even slightly jealous about :whistle2:)

i went for the gt because i really dont think id be happy with a maximum of 280bhp from a hybrid, and that would need WMI which would just bump the cost up! also i just saw this turbo on ebay and had to have it for the price it was going for! the IC came with the turbo which made it even more apealing!!

for the hybrid turbo alone your looking at £700, for £1000 you can get a spanking new gt28rs which will bolt straight to your existing manifold and downpipe if you get the right version or just buy the additional elbow required. ive done ALOT of reading before i bought this and from what ive gathered the gt28 gives a really smooth torque curve which is why they are so popular with golfs, so im alot happier to run the standard rods with low boost for a few months until ive saved for some uprated ones then wind it up!

westle - no mate i havent sorry :( i dont have vagcom but really need to look at getting it!!

its true the smaller cooler doesnt need any crash bar modding to fit but i dont think id run anything bigger than a k03s with it, it is pretty tiny and while im sure its miles better than the standard shocking excuse of an intercooler these cars have, i dont think its up to the job of efficiently cooling larger volumes of air

I was going to ask if you're going to be changing your manifold, and did you need the 3'' maf from the s3/tt225?

Not sure now if the more financially sensible option is to change the car for an S3, or to spend it on my A3. I'll be annoyed if I get all the niggly jobs done on mine, and then buy an S3 and have to do them all again, but at the same time, I'm looking at close to 2k for all the bits, and I could get almost as much bhp from an S3 and a map.

buying an s3 would be a easy option although A3 Quattro's are rare to find i think you would get more staisfaction from building a Quattro that would blow an S3 Everywhere it like when people ask what you drive if you say s3 they think bet thats quick if you say a3 they would think not bad not as good as an S3 this is where you prove them wrong by having stupid amounts of power under the bonnet but people still think its an A3

buying an s3 would be a easy option although A3 Quattro's are rare to find i think you would get more staisfaction from building a Quattro that would blow an S3 Everywhere it like when people ask what you drive if you say s3 they think bet thats quick if you say a3 they would think not bad not as good as an S3 this is where you prove them wrong by having stupid amounts of power under the bonnet but people still think its an A3

For me when I bought my S3 it wasn't so I could win a willy waving contest but it was the look of the S3 over the A3 that did it for me. It's all about the flared arches.

I'm not as keen on the 8P S3s purely because they look the same as the 8P A3s. Audi need to bring back the agressive look with all their S models.

the A3 Does have flatter arches although the quattro has wide arches like the s3 also a quick question are the arches on a s3 on the rear wider than the A3 Quattro its just i put mine next to an s3 a while ago and my arches looked wider could of been the colour or mine have been flaired more i duno.

the willy waving is fun especially when you get a right one who thinks he is great with his car mummy and daddy have bought him then you just kill him every where round country lanes, VXR's i seen to find mostly

I didn't realise the quattro A3s had wider arches than other A3s, learn something new every day.

I'm not too sure about the S3 rear arches but I was under the impression that they were wider on the S3 than A3.

i may be wrong although mine are wider than standard a3 arches but they do look as wide if not a touch wider than s3 but i did compare it to a dark coloured s3 and mine is yellow so could have been the colour and with the a3 compared mine to a elecrtic blue a3 i some how think mine have been pulled out as to the reaon why the car was fully reprayed and also that the car needed a respary as there were loads of paint chips and scratches got shown some pics before i bought the car how it used to look.

Doh didn't mean to click dislike on ur post Paul sorry stupid iPod!! I think all a3 arches are the same but colour plays a huge part in how wide they look, mines silver and they look loads wider than a black a3s arches