The great spec debate

DohNut

Reaction score
I’m sure this has been done to death but...

190 TFSI s-tronic Avant:
Daytona
19” 10-v spokes
Black Leather/Alcantara
Tech Pack
FBSW
Extended LED’s
Folding Mirrors
Reversing Camera - got it on my current car so now can’t drive backwards without one

All that comes in at a tenner under the £40k tax threshold before discounts - a must. If I understand other threads correctly I think you can deduct the initial £200 VED included in the ROTR and, if so, will add the £175 Storage Pack too. Would have loved the the Privacy/Acoustic glass but that takes me past the tax threshold.

I guess I could sacrifice the FBSW and Storage for the Privacy/Acoustic glass but current thinking is to just get the windows tinted after delivery. Does the acoustic glass really add to the refinement?

Thoughts please gentlemen.

Last edited:
Although it feels like a bit of a rip off I feel the storage pack is worth having for the large compartment by the side of the steering wheel and specially for the cup holders in the rear armrest if you have kids.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

My issue with options is that they depreciate at a much faster rate than the car. But then again it's not my money !

Just realised I hadn’t listed trim level! Base spec will be S-Line.

Although it feels like a bit of a rip off I feel the storage pack is worth having for the large compartment by the side of the steering wheel and specially for the cup holders in the rear armrest if you have kids.
Got 3 of ‘em and the thought of them drinking in my car fills me with dread!

I've got the 19" diamond cut alloys on mine and would personally have been happier with 18s - I'm constantly fretting about kerbing them as the replacement cost is 840 quid per wheel. Audi also state they are not suitable for winter use as they don't have the same thickness of topcoat on them (that is likely their get out so they don't have to cover any corrosion under warranty).

I've not got a problem with the ride comfort on them with sports suspension and they look great but if the choice was between a few extra goodies inside and wheels that you could always get later then I'd be adding the storage pack and privacy glass.

Reactions: Nickfrog
I've got the 19" diamond cut alloys on mine and would personally have been happier with 18s - I'm constantly fretting about kerbing them as the replacement cost is 840 quid per wheel. Audi also state they are not suitable for winter use as they don't have the same thickness of topcoat on them (that is likely their get out so they don't have to cover any corrosion under warranty).

I've not got a problem with the ride comfort on them with sports suspension and they look great but if the choice was between a few extra goodies inside and wheels that you could always get later then I'd be adding the storage pack and privacy glass.

I would actually pay extra to upgrade to 18' if my car came with 19' ;-). I don't understand big wheels.

I’m sure this has been done to death but...

190 TFSI s-tronic Avant:
Daytona
19” 10-v spokes
Black Leather/Alcantara
Tech Pack
FBSW
Extended LED’s
Folding Mirrors
Reversing Camera - got it on my current car so now can’t drive backwards without one

All that comes in at a tenner under the £40k tax threshold before discounts - a must. If I understand other threads correctly I think you can deduct the initial £200 VED included in the ROTR and, if so, will add the £175 Storage Pack too. Would have loved the the Privacy/Acoustic glass but that takes me past the tax threshold.

I guess I could sacrifice the FBSW and Storage for the Privacy/Acoustic glass but current thinking is to just get the windows tinted after delivery. Does the acoustic glass really add to the refinement?

Thoughts please gentlemen.

Aftermarket Privacy worked on on my B9 and cheaper. But I found my my 190 TDI quattro I had for 18 months boring as hell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would actually pay extra to upgrade to 18' if my car came with 19' ;-). I don't understand big wheels.

I didn't have a choice, the car came as standard on 19s and I asked about swapping to 18s before delivery but the dealer wasn't able to.

I didn't have a choice, the car came as standard on 19s and I asked about swapping to 18s before delivery but the dealer wasn't able to.
Really, I would have swapped you. My Sline Tdi quattro was OK, had Pan roof, Light pack, Tech pack VC etc... it did what it said on the tin just so boring .... Dealers do not like to swap wheels as the VIN and spec tie up on the Audi system.

Yes, the acoustic glass does make a difference with the standard acoustic windscreen......makes it a very quiet car!

I’m not going for the diamond cut alloys so hopefully all I have to worry about is the missus kerbing them. Interesting to know though.

I’ve always been sensitive to small wheel syndrome and aesthetics (especially wheels) are important to me. Guess I’m a bit of a tart really!

Quite frankly the extra RFL is pretty insignificant in the big scheme of things, not really sure why you are worrying about less than £1 a day.

Yes, the acoustic glass does make a difference with the standard acoustic windscreen......makes it a very quiet car!

Thanks.

The omission of this is a concern for me as I’d like the car to be as refined as possible. Will be interesting to see what spec I’m test driving tomorrow, although I have read it’s a very quiet car as standard.

I have had Acoustic windscreen and no acoustic screen and didn't really notice the difference, roof bars can be a bit noisy.

Quite frankly the extra RFL is pretty insignificant in the big scheme of things, not really sure why you are worrying about less than £1 a day.

I hear you and I’m sorely tempted by the 252 quattro as its still within budget. Just gotta convince the missus the extra tax is worth it!

I hear you and I’m sorely tempted by the 252 quattro as its still within budget. Just gotta convince the missus the extra tax is worth it!

Going for a left-field suggestion here....

Why not buy a used 252 quattro, like this 2yr old one with a host of goodies (sunroof, folding door mirrors, B&O, 19" wheels, privacy/acoustic glass & parking system plus)

https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar...p-all-wheel-drive-white-1_GBR00272310205.htm#

I've worked out that will be cheaper to buy this with a cheap personal loan, when compared to the cost of a new 190PS with the spec above using Audi's PCP over 3yrs. Of course the monthly payment will be higher (£350 vs. £600), but overall cost will be lower. Also has the freedom of no mileage restrictions, and of course you can keep the car another year or two and have no car payments.

My calculations also factor in an extra £1000 for extending the warranty for 2yrs. I've based the total cost of ownership over 3yrs using Audi's own finance valuation at 5yrs/50k miles, and I would bet that's a pretty severe under-estimation, so likely to cost even less if you can get better price as trade in or through private sale.

Since it was registered in 2016, it also will only cost £135 for VED as well :)

Reactions: rasA4 and Daggerit
I would be tempted to go for a black edition, its actually £35 cheaper than an sline by the time you add the privacy glass, 19s and FBSW, although you cant specify a black pack on an sline its a further £565 on an S4 and the black piano finish is a further £225, guess it depends how much you like the black finishes. The residuals are a bit higher at the end if you are on a PCP too. At the end of 3 years and 10k an s line is worth £16229 a black edition is worth £17131, this is based on a standard spec car and from the audi fianance configurator. I thought a black edition was going to be too expensive for me till I looked at this.

I have had Acoustic windscreen and no acoustic screen and didn't really notice the difference, roof bars can be a bit noisy.
The accoustic windscreen is standard with all A4's and with only the drivers/passengers windows being a option with the privacy glass..

The accoustic windscreen is standard with all A4's and with only the drivers/passengers windows being a option with the privacy glass..
I think you will find that the options quote 'privacy glass with acoustic windscreen'. It certainly did last year but can't see it now.

page27image2604443024
page27image2604443296
VW6 Option in Brochure on audi.co.uk states...
Privacy glass and front acoustic glazing

Dark-tinted rear and rear-side windows (from B-pillar backwards) and front side windows in acoustic glass for better insulation from exterior noise

Leads me to thing Acoustic is/was not standard. May have just changed.

Going for a left-field suggestion here....

Why not buy a used 252 quattro, like this 2yr old one with a host of goodies (sunroof, folding door mirrors, B&O, 19" wheels, privacy/acoustic glass & parking system plus)

https://usedcars.audi.co.uk/usedcar...p-all-wheel-drive-white-1_GBR00272310205.htm#

I've worked out that will be cheaper to buy this with a cheap personal loan, when compared to the cost of a new 190PS with the spec above using Audi's PCP over 3yrs. Of course the monthly payment will be higher (£350 vs. £600), but overall cost will be lower. Also has the freedom of no mileage restrictions, and of course you can keep the car another year or two and have no car payments.

My calculations also factor in an extra £1000 for extending the warranty for 2yrs. I've based the total cost of ownership over 3yrs using Audi's own finance valuation at 5yrs/50k miles, and I would bet that's a pretty severe under-estimation, so likely to cost even less if you can get better price as trade in or through private sale.

Since it was registered in 2016, it also will only cost £135 for VED as well :)

Have thought about used and saw that very car but the seem to be very rare indeed. If it was in another colour I’d be making enquiries.

I would be tempted to go for a black edition, its actually £35 cheaper than an sline by the time you add the privacy glass, 19s and FBSW, although you cant specify a black pack on an sline its a further £565 on an S4 and the black piano finish is a further £225, guess it depends how much you like the black finishes. The residuals are a bit higher at the end if you are on a PCP too. At the end of 3 years and 10k an s line is worth £16229 a black edition is worth £17131, this is based on a standard spec car and from the audi fianance configurator. I thought a black edition was going to be too expensive for me till I looked at this.

Black Edition is not for me personally.

Go for an S4 and be done with it!

Approved Used S4 will be one of the options I will be discussing with the dealer tomorrow.

Reactions: pierreluigi88, DrEskimo and Happy Grumpz
page27image2604443024
page27image2604443296
VW6 Option in Brochure on audi.co.uk states...
Privacy glass and front acoustic glazing

Dark-tinted rear and rear-side windows (from B-pillar backwards) and front side windows in acoustic glass for better insulation from exterior noise

Leads me to thing Acoustic is/was not standard. May have just changed.
It has always been the case that the b9's all have accoustic windscreens and more and more car manufacturers are fitting them as standard. Even our humble new fiesta has one..

It has always been the case that the b9's all have accoustic windscreens and more and more car manufacturers are fitting them as standard. Even our humble new fiesta has one..
Not sure you are correct on that one. There are acoustic and non acoustic windscreens available for B9. I am sure you will agree it sounds odd to specifically mention Privacy plus Acoustic screen in the price list. Whatever ZZZZZZZ

Approved Used S4 will be one of the options I will be discussing with the dealer tomorrow.
Plenty of S4 on audi.co.uk. Northampton one looks nice. Pan roof and bits . Always buy BE new as you get circa 50% of price back after 3 years or so. Options are less financially sensible, some return nothing at all.

Anyone in the know on here?
The options that do add value Vs those that just add cost?

I know tech pack adds about £600 to the residual on PCP

Anyone in the know on here?
The options that do add value Vs those that just add cost?

I know tech pack adds about £600 to the residual on PCP

AFAIK no options will change the GFV on a PCP...?

BMW does adjust the GFV depending on options (on BabyBMW.net there is a spreadsheet where you can see the specific impact of each option), but I've always been of the understanding that Audi don't do this.

I suspect it will have an impact on what a dealer may offer you when you trade it in (i.e. they might be more willing to go above the book trade price if it has tech pack or metallic pain, etc.), but I don't think they change the amount of of the GFV on the finance documents.

AFAIK no options will change the GFV on a PCP...?

BMW does adjust the GFV depending on options (on BabyBMW.net there is a spreadsheet where you can see the specific impact of each option), but I've always been of the understanding that Audi don't do this.

I suspect it will have an impact on what a dealer may offer you when you trade it in (i.e. they might be more willing to go above the book trade price if it has tech pack or metallic pain, etc.), but I don't think they change the amount of of the GFV on the finance documents.

Well my local dealer added about £600 to the GFV for tech pack....
Might have been a 1 off I suppose

Reactions: DrEskimo
Well my local dealer added about £600 to the GFV for tech pack....
Might have been a 1 off I suppose

Awesome!

Nah maybe I'm mistaken and they do, or they may have changed it recently?
My only new car experience was an S5 back in Nov 2015 and I remember the tech pack had no effect on the GFV....£1400 just to get Sat Nav...!

GFV's are being deliberately low because of the very uncertain financial situation the country is in if the Tories continue to push for a hard Brexit. Basically the car market could be ********!

You've been taking lessons from the BBC. Speculation & supposition. The car market "could be ********". However it may not be. Who knows????

Reactions: tickedon
You've been taking lessons from the BBC. Speculation & supposition. The car market "could be ********". However it may not be. Who knows????
Without wishing to persue a non car debate, best by PM. The £ has been devalued 26% since 2015, according to pundits as a result of Brexit. Added to this we have Dieselgate. The Economy is on hold regarding major purchases, houses and cars and whilst there is spin around the car market is currently ******** !

Brexit/dieselgate, hmm...

So FBSW and Storage Pack or Acoustic/Privacy glass. Whaddya think?