Tailpipes

AlS3BE

Reaction score
just a quick one. What do you lot use to clean your tailpipes?
I’m looking for a simple spray on and rinse solution. Don’t want to scrub it as I don’t want to damage the chrome and I’m getting lazy in my old age and don’t have as much time to detail the cars like I used to.

Washing up liquid and magic eraser sponge. If it's really bad autosol diluted in the washing up mix. Don't use the washing up mix on the car body.
Screenshot 20180904 093921 Chrome

Reactions: davc and oldoiler
If you don't scrub. And let the liquid do the work. It's ok. I've used it with no problems. Wipe it. Scouring pads like on dish sponges can be bad. One's for non stick pans like spontex are ok. Again rub dont scrub.

I just use autosol and a mibrofibre, my exhausts are ******** tbh, but they were neglected for the first 15k miles.. . But from a distance they look shiny at least

Reactions: Jimbob76
Cheers guys. Will give it a go. Was hoping one of you had some magical spray and rinse solution.

Your Ideal exhaust maintenance wishes are not going happen especially through the Scottish winters

The lowest time consuming way would be to take them off clean/detox and then apply a ceramic coating ie one specific for alloys/metal etc etc

Reactions: AlS3BE
I use cif stainless steel cleaner, use a really old clay bar to get all the stuck on tar off and keep it well away from the rest of the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AlS3BE and Jassyo06
And if you can't get them off lol just do it situ nothing will stick to them after you treat them, wash n go

Your Ideal exhaust maintenance wishes are not going happen especially through the Scottish winters

The lowest time consuming way would be to take them off clean/detox and then apply a ceramic coating ie one specific for alloys/metal etc etc

I did put some sealant on it when I first cleaned it and made it a quick wipe to clean.
Not cleaned it in a few weeks until last weekend and now the stuff is baked on.
Not sure if it was me changing fuel and the new stuff has baked on more went from Costco super unleaded to momentum.

I did put some sealant on it when I first cleaned it and made it a quick wipe to clean.
Not cleaned it in a few weeks until last weekend and now the stuff is baked on.
Not sure if it was me changing fuel and the new stuff has baked on more went from Costco super unleaded to momentum.
I don't use expensive fuel mate and my exhaust tips are pretty clean, it's the old right foot that soots them up pops and farts lol

I don't use expensive fuel mate and my exhaust tips are pretty clean, it's the old right foot that soots them up pops and farts lol

Damn. I do like those pops and bangs:welcoming:
Gonna have to clean them more I guess.

Or you could just go titanium. Sort it right out.
20180904 123359 3024x1701

Reactions: nervus, NevMan and AlS3BE
Autosol metal polish and a microfibre cloth, first clean will be the worst. Do it fortnightly after and they come right up with very little effort.

Reactions: NevMan, Jimbob76, Jcbmally and 1 other person
I use supermarket wet wipes, 4 years later chrome is still like it left the factory..........other than a few tar spots which will get removed with tar remover.
Every couple of weeks quite wipe and job done.

Interestingly since fitting the MTM box there is hardly any soot build up at all unlike when running standard when it used to show soot pretty quickly.

Agree with Autosol metal polish and a microfibre cloth. Took this a few weeks ago, to show the difference, and just keep on top of it now.
14439083 7C0F 48F9 BBA1 F7C4BF064192

Reactions: NevMan
How long did you leave it for the left pipes tonlook that bad?
Mines only black towards the bottom of the pipes.

About 5months of not cleaning them, and suspect it was also a combination of exhaust valves always open for that time and our house access is via a farm track so dust/dirt is magnetised to the petrol residues

Maybe it’s my ocd but I don’t think I could sleep if my pipes were that bad :welcoming:

Reactions: DaytonaS3
^^ so how about me not having washed my S3 for 24months?
but don't worry it gets a pressure wash every year at the dealers...........i do wipe my chrome pipes regularly though.

paintwork is flawless without a swirl in place ;)

Reactions: oli356 and AlS3BE
but don't worry it gets a pressure wash every year at the dealers...........i do wipe my chrome pipes regularly though.

There’s so much dirt it’s become a protective layer on the car :wink:

0000 wire wool done the trick for me, tested it on something non important first (the kettle shhhh)

Reactions: AlS3BE

This makes me cry inside. Mines bad enough as I haven't been able to clean it for 3 weeks...but 24 months...Sheesh

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: JohnM100, AlS3BE and josul