Tailgate problems on Avant. It tries to eat me.

Andrew Wright

Reaction score
I've recently picked up a 2016 A4 Avant with a power boot/ trunk hatch. I'm having some difficulties with it...

It works fine opening it with the door release catch, I can open and close it using the fob and can close it using the button on the hatch. I can't open it using the exterior hatch handle though and it occasionally closes on it's own, either when left unattached (back and forth to the car) or when physically getting something in or out so it intermittently tries to eat me.

If anyone has any ideas, it'd be appreciated! FYI it doesn't have valet mode and I don't think it has the foot waving thing (at least I can't get it to work!)

I've recently picked up a 2016 A4 Avant with a power boot/ trunk hatch. I'm having some difficulties with it...

It works fine opening it with the door release catch, I can open and close it using the fob and can close it using the button on the hatch. I can't open it using the exterior hatch handle though and it occasionally closes on it's own, either when left unattached (back and forth to the car) or when physically getting something in or out so it intermittently tries to eat me.

If anyone has any ideas, it'd be appreciated! FYI it doesn't have valet mode and I don't think it has the foot waving thing (at least I can't get it to work!)

My missus had this on our B9 S4. Turns out she was standing with her feet under the rear bumper and it was setting the motion detectors off.

Could this be happening to you?

My missus had this on our B9 S4. Turns out she was standing with her feet under the rear bumper and it was setting the motion detectors off.

Could this be happening to you?

This has caught me out a few times ( S4 avant with advanced key)

Reactions: Skatman
Confirmed, root cause, the tailgate release handle, parts No. 3V0 827 566. Change it and you will fix it.
It happened to my A4 Allroad 2017. On a rainy day, the tailgate will close automatically and occasionally. The car tried to eat me. Also, the tailgate shuts down when you press the Lock button on the remote key or close any doors.
The old open handle has bad sealing after 5 years of snow and sunshine. The water leaks into it and causes the malfunction. I find the parts online, 8$ + 13& shipping from Ali**. That's a quick change, just pray it opens, unplug the old one (be careful with the cable and lock), plug in the new one, insert, and DONE.

The original one is from the Czech, and the new one is from China.
View attachment IMG_0156.jpg
IMG 0158
View attachment IMG_0157.jpg