Tailgate gas boot struts

owenjt

Reaction score
After a couple of gas boot struts for my A3, planning on getting them from eurocarparts but not sure which one i need as there are 2 available. I have a 3-door Sport but i've fitted an S-line spoiler.

There's either this one: Audi | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer

or this one: Audi | Euro Car Parts UK’s No.1 Car Parts Retailer.

Does say one is with a spoiler, one without, but considering I fitted a spoiler and it's fine does it matter? Also minimal differences between length and stroke (8mm).

Could possibly to do with extra weight of spoiler and also reduced clearance to roof when open. It may seem ok now but these things suffer at cold temps so would go for the spoiler option if I were you.

Well I finally got round to getting some struts and had a go at fitting them today but they're too long! I got the slightly longer version, fitted them on by lifting the boot a bit higher (still ok for clearance with the spoiler) but then the boot wouldn't shut. Unfortunately I can't take them back now either as I ordered them a few weeks back but have only just come back home and been able to fit them. Anyone want to buy a pair?!

So I ordered the other pair of struts off eurocarparts, just went to fit them and the length is ok but the force with which it opens the boot is brutal! There's so much force the boot lid springs back and forth. Not good.

Wish i'd just bought them from Audi in the first place now.

Just a tip for anyone looking to replace their boot struts on a 55-plate A3 - don't bother buying them from eurocarparts! Neither struts are right, just go buy them from Audi (which I now have and they are exactly the same as the ones i'm replacing and even come with some grease in the ball joint.)