Suspension, what first, ARB's or Springs & Shocks?

jm-baker

Reaction score
I am gradually upgrading my car, onto suspension now.

I would like to get some Bilstein B8's with either H&R or Eibach springs, looking to lower no more than 15mm to 20mm..

Will also budget for some KW Adjustable Tie Bars.

Any recommendations for springs to lower this kind of amount? Im not lowering the car for looks, more for the driving experience, as the original stuff is getting a bit crashy and worn.

Also i have read good things about urgrading the ARB's, so 22mm up front with 19mm rear is what i would go for.

Whats the cheapest and most effective option for these?

And what order would you do these mods in? ARB's first? springs and shocks first? I assume it would make sense to save up and get it all done together with 1 final alignment....

Just about to have my lower wishbone bushes changed and having also just had 2 new tyres i will be having a 4 wheel alignment soon..

James

i like my R32 ARB`s but not everyone agrees but for the money they are a good upgrade, I did ARBs first and am still looking into simular suspension to you.

Dampers first...so springs and dampers makes sense...
Then ARBs.

The standard ARBs are fine...just there are better options.
The standard dampers are not fine. They are crap.

Springs + dampers, full geometry set up, and play with the tyre pressures...
Then add the ARBs.

Anyone running upgraded shocks and springs, with standars ARB's?

Interested to know how it would drive?

JB

If your looking for cost effectiveness, save a little longer and do the whole job at the same time. One trip to the garage and the per hourly... and reduce the "getting stuck factor" of doing one thing when its better overall to do both. I reckon the suspension will cost more than the ARB's but is less faff/cost to fit.

The dampers and springs may help ride quality a lot where the ARB's change the driving experience/poise. Get both and be very happy!

Glens info in the stickies is very helpful. I have the R32 ARBs, others like the H&R stuff but I have not been in the position to drive both but I am very happy with what I have.

HTH

Thanks for the info guys!

Will see how far i can stretch my budget.

As far as geometry. I guess its best, and easiest for me as i have not got alot of experience with tweaking them, to just get them to set it up as standard?

James

Assuming your dropping the ride height and your budgeting for adjustable tie bars at the rear, try a 4 wheel alignment if you can to set it up properly. Again, see the stickies....

Let us know how you get on..

If you're planning on doing a full revamp of the suspension then it would work out cheaper to get it all done at once as said above, one fitting charge and one alignment charge. If you are going to do it in stages then i'd say shocks and springs first with adjustable rear tie bars and then ARBs. Bilstein B8s with H&R springs are a great setup and work really well with the H&R ARBs.

Hope this helps and for any prices give us a shout.

Damian @ DPM

Been thinking about it more, with the road conditions here etc, i really only want to lower it about 10mm maybe 15mm. Are there any springs that offer this kind of lowering, and would work well with the B8's?

Cheers!

James