strong smell of diesel in and around the car

tboy

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just come back from a road trip down to Venice and back- I must have covered 3000 miles in a few weeks. Since I've been back I've noticed a strong smell of diesel in the car when ever I've pulled to a stop, and also outside the car towards the rear. I'm a bit concerned to say the least- anyone experienced something similar before?

Cheers,
T.

Does the car suffer from any engine problems whilst running ?

or

Does the car still do the same amount of miles on a tank of fuel?

I seem to be getting the same mileage, and the car's performance seems fine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Oh right - my first thought was that you had either a problem with the fuel pipe of the fuel tank - if the car running ok then I guess not.

As the smell is coming from the rear of the car, it's quite strange because theres really nothing there that uses any diesel so i'm a bit stumped.

You might want to re-post in the A3/S3 forum at the top as it's a bit busier and someone might be able to help you out

You did put the diesel in the right hole I take it?

Good luck

Mike

if you have got a PD engine it maybe the fuel cooler it runs front to rear under the drivers side of the car, i have just had to change mine as the return pipe was leaking, the car ran fine and i was still getting 60mpg

cheers for the help guys. It turns out one of the fuel pipes was absolutely p1ssing diesel everywhere! Not cheap to replace tho /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif