Stolen S3 Cheltenham

As above, make sure they know and don't accept any offers the insurance give you. The GAP insurers will want to know that your insurance is offering the maximum. They can offer as much as £2000 less than it's actually worth, I dealt with a scirocco once that had been written off, starting offer was just over £10k going up to just over £12k, they guy took the first offer which meant the insurance company saved themselves £2k!

I've had mine 7 month now, is it still worth getting gap insurance? We I took my insurance out they said the would replace like for like which is why I didn't bother taking it out as didn't see the point. I suppose this only becomes an issue if I no longer wanted an S3?

I've had mine 7 month now, is it still worth getting gap insurance? We I took my insurance out they said the would replace like for like which is why I didn't bother taking it out as didn't see the point. I suppose this only becomes an issue if I no longer wanted an S3?

That's most likely only for the 1st year you've had the car for, after that they will only pay you market value of the car.
GAP insurance can cover you up to 5 years.

Reactions: AudiNutta
That's most likely only for the 1st year you've had the car for, after that they will only pay you market value of the car.
GAP insurance can cover you up to 5 years.
So after the first year they would just pay out market value?

And do you need to obtain gap insurance within a certain period after buying the car?

So after the first year they would just pay out market value?

And do you need to obtain gap insurance within a certain period after buying the car?
GAP basically covers you for the difference between car value and outstanding finance agreement.

If you wrote the car off today and say it's value was £30k but the PCP balance was £40k, gap would cover this shortfall.

If you've purchased the car outright then my understanding is that GAP would not be required.

You can purchase GAP at any point.

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Milnesafc
GAP basically covers you for the difference between car value and outstanding finance agreement.

If you wrote the car off today and say it's value was £30k but the PCP balance was £40k, gap would cover this shortfall.

If you've purchased the car outright then my understanding is that GAP would not be required.

Thanks, just wanted to confirm if I'd had the car 7 month whether I'd still be able to get gap insurance. Don't fancy being 1000s out of pocket because some scummy **** takes my motor. I know it's been debated a bit and what's best to do but if someone broke into my house trying to get my car all bets are off.

Reactions: Jassyo06

Thanks, just wanted to confirm if I'd had the car 7 month whether I'd still be able to get gap insurance

Unfortunately not, most GAP providers require you to take out cover within 6 months of purchase even if you have new for old cover for the first year of ownership through your normal car insurance

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Liquidfusion-S3
If you've purchased the car outright then my understanding is that GAP would not be required

The choice is yours.....There is no requirement to have GAP cover whether you are on a PCP deal or a have bought with cash or with a personal loan

for PCP it will cover the shortfall in finance v insurance pay out but for private purchase it would allow you to purchase a new car as in effect GAP covers the depreciation since start of ownership

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Liquidfusion-S3
If you bought the car outright you would definitely want GAP imo

Reactions: testcard and richinsoton
The choice is yours.....There is no requirement to have GAP cover whether you are on a PCP deal or a have bought with cash or with a personal loan

for PCP it will cover the shortfall in finance v insurance pay out but for private purchase it would allow you to purchase a new car as in effect GAP covers the depreciation since start of ownership
Thanks for confirming, didn't realise that.

Reactions: Daveotto
Thanks, just wanted to confirm if I'd had the car 7 month whether I'd still be able to get gap insurance. Don't fancy being 1000s out of pocket because some scummy **** takes my motor. I know it's been debated a bit and what's best to do but if someone broke into my house trying to get my car all bets are off.
I'm using ALA, prob best to make some calls.

Believe with Ala you'll still be able to get cover even though you've owned it for 7 months.

As others have said, is still definitely want it if I'd purchased the car outright because they'd still cover the difference meaning you wouldn't be £1000's out of pocket.

Reactions: Milnesafc
I've had a offer from my insurers for £32000,I owe Audi £28000,so how does gap work now

Reactions: Milnesafc
I've had a offer from my insurers for £32000,I owe Audi £28000,so how does gap work now

GAP will pay the difference between £32k and the amount you paid for the vehicle.

So if you bought the car for £40k GAP will pay you £8k to allow you to be in the same position you were when you bought the car.

How much was the car to buy BEFORE discount? If it was £35,000 the GAP will cover the difference between the £32k offered by your normal insurance and the £35k to replace your car. But make sure you phone GAP up before accepting any offer from your normal insurance.

Thais if you have complete vehicle replacement! If it's back to invoice then that is the price you paid for the car after discount...obviously :)

Reactions: DrEskimo
GAP insurance is great but your still missing a car... still now you can order an RS3.

Sorry to hear about your car @Tristan2... any news on its whereabouts?
I'm going down the auto watch ghost route mate.

Who are you insured with took my old insurance nearly 3 months to make an offer !!!

Reactions: Tristan2
ive recently had the Autowatch Ghost installed, makes the car useless to a thief even if they have the keys

the problem with somthing like Ghost is that if a load of ******* have just taken the time and effort to break into your house by extracting a windows or knocking down a door they will more then likely come and pay you a visit in bed if they cant actually start the car. I would rather them just take the thing to be honest.

Reactions: The_Ironist, tsbtbr, Bells and 4 others
When I tried them when I first got my S3 they wouldn't give a quote unless there was tracker in it!
I'm with LV and when I got my 8P S3 they insisted on a tracker. As it got older that requirement dropped off.
Now I have an 8V S3, LV still don't require a tracker even though I live in a high risk postcode.
It's also cheaper to insure the car parked on the street!
Sorry to hear about your car bud, I hope you can move on and get back into another S3 soon.

They've paid out today,so do I buy another?

Reactions: richinsoton and OST
I'd say yes, if you liked the car that is.

I know it's easy to say as we're not the ones it's happened to but maybe look at seeing if you secure the house any more especially knowing how they got in.

Reactions: richinsoton, Jassyo06 and azibux1
As long as you feel safe then yes definitely don't let this stop you living your life as you want.
Plus you get the excitement of a new car again!

Reactions: batch, OST and Tom.H
Reported stolen on a Sunday morning,paid out on a Thursday,not even 4 full working days!!!!
Pass me your insurance brokers details please as I'll burn mines lol

Reactions: AudiNutta and Jassyo06
LV came top in the Which? Motor insurance review IIRC.

5 star Defaqto rating too.

Now I know why. Result!

Reactions: Jassyo06
Wow 4 days pay out, that's insane.

will definitely consider moving from Admiral to LV next year.

I see countless S, RS's being stolen these days its such a shame.

I look back when i had my ST stolen last November via the ODB port and the hassle it caused i never wanted to have that happen again.

As much as i wanted an S3 it's a lot more desirable to the growing underground business of stealing cars since its so easy these days.

So i opted for a 2.0 TDI instead as i can't be ***** with having to put a wheel lock on my car every time i left it or worrying that it might not be there when i wake up.

I hope they find it for you, but its likely gone forever now without a tracker.

P.s gap will not want you to accept any offer from the insurance (which they'll pressure you into). They had to do value checks their end and if it matched or was near what the insurance offered then they will pay you out. Otherwise you'd have to pay the difference.

Reactions: TDI-line and mister.c.
I just got a quote with LV and will DEFINITELY be going with them.

LV are cheapest for me anyway and are mod friendly

Reactions: OST