Steering locks

alpesh26

Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts on these things? I know they're pretty ugly, but as far as a deterrent goes, would you use one? I have one like the one below and thinking of using on my S3. It's also a weapon if you get car jacked :)

Upload 2018 1 19 20 39 48

Granted it is another line of defence but I’m not convinced about their effectiveness if I’m honest. If some one wants your car they’ll take it, lock or not.

Besides, they remind me of very old people:hi:

Reactions: SamR92
I have a stop lock pro which is much more effective than the one you have pictured.

Reactions: RS3 S. and Gazwould
I tried a stop lock pro but for the life of me couldn’t get it to fit properly on my S3 8v flat bottom steering wheel without activating the horn.

Reactions: alpesh26 and lucaslfc
I tried a stop lock pro but for the life of me couldn’t get it to fit properly on my S3 8v flat bottom steering wheel without activating the horn.
I just about managed it but recently upgrade to the new Stoplock Pro Elite version with a deeper bend for newer steering wheels and it works great. Retails £60ish, highly recommended.

Reactions: haywoon and lucaslfc
I think I would get fed up of using one after the first time I put it on!

Reactions: SamR92 and Zak0123
Stoplock pro fits very easily on the facelift steerling wheel without damaging it. With the wheel straight, the stoplock goes from 3 o clock to 9 o clock position. I will take a picture later.

Reactions: haywoon, alpesh26 and lucaslfc
Granted it is another line of defence but I’m not convinced about their effectiveness if I’m honest. If some one wants your car they’ll take it, lock or not.

Haha, it is old, it's from my dads 1993 Cavalier...beast!

What are peoples thoughts on these things? I know they're pretty ugly, but as far as a deterrent goes, would you use one? I have one like the one below and thinking of using on my S3. It's also a weapon if you get car jacked :)

View attachment 146461
That's a perfect means for the thief to smash the steering lock!!!

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Tapatalk

Stop lock pro user, piece of **** to use piece of **** to store, simples:sunglasses:

Stop lock pro user, piece of **** to use piece of **** to store, simples:sunglasses:

I feel what I have now will be the same, i'll see how long I use it for before I look for a better solution

I find it very easy to use and store. Even when driving fast it stays in the passenger footwell.

Attachments

• CD3E81BD-4C39-462D-A65A-16C4C4827F7C.jpeg
    CD3E81BD-4C39-462D-A65A-16C4C4827F7C.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 745
  • 5F0F6796-8E0B-4CCE-B727-5C7AF1A16842.jpeg
    5F0F6796-8E0B-4CCE-B727-5C7AF1A16842.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 686
Reactions: RS3 S., DW81, -Ju- and 2 others

Hopefully opportunists see it and move to the next car without one! :) http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/motorists-urged-use-steering-wheel-1063216

I have a stop lock pro which is much more effective than the one you have pictured.

Same here, 9-3 on the S3 and now I'm using it on the A5, can't get it to fit 9-3 though as it hits the paddle shifters!:
img_5089-jpg.143986

Reactions: Gazwould
Yep 100% use one, i don't bother at work, just at home and when i'm out and about. Its a really old StockLock X-Cel.

Amazon product

It could deter a lot of people trying to nick it, as it means they will need to bring tools to cut through the stoplock itself.

Reactions: RS3 S., DW81 and S32B
I find it very easy to use and store. Even when driving fast it stays in the passenger footwell.

Exactly how I store mine when not in use.

However I have mine at a 2-7 position - so the end is sat=t behind the gearstick.

It could deter a lot of people trying to nick it, as it means they will need to bring tools to cut through the stoplock itself.
Deter is what it's all about! :)

I have this around my gates at night, the other week I came out at 6.30am and it was frozen solid!!! I thought s*** how I'm I going to get out as I'm not cutting through 10mm of welded link chain easily :D Luckily a hot cup of water worked on the lock and I was able to take it off ;)

Lock

Reactions: voorhees
I have the Stoplock pro elite. I take on board that it won't stop a really determined thief. Nothing will stop that. I also agree it makes the car look like it is owned by someone rather elderly. My reasoning is that it might deter the opportunist who wants to steal the car in a hurry. Perhaps the thief will move on to an easier (quicker) target instead. It would not be effective if the car is parked in the middle of nowhere where a thief can work unseen and take their time. It may work where the car is parked in a more public place. It don't use the stoplock all the time but I do use it if I am going to park and be away from the vehicle overnight. It does mean that the would-be car thief needs both the electronic gizmos to steal the car and the skills to defeat a physical lock.

I have the Stoplock pro elite. I take on board that it won't stop a really determined thief. Nothing will stop that. I also agree it makes the car look like it is owned by someone rather elderly. My reasoning is that it might deter the opportunist who wants to steal the car in a hurry. Perhaps the thief will move on to an easier (quicker) target instead. It would not be effective if the car is parked in the middle of nowhere where a thief can work unseen and take their time. It may work where the car is parked in a more public place. It don't use the stoplock all the time but I do use it if I am going to park and be away from the vehicle overnight. It does mean that the would-be car thief needs both the electronic gizmos to steal the car and the skills to defeat a physical lock.

But then if he is able to get the steering lock off how does he get around that vehicle if it has awg fitted?
I get where your coming from as I fit my steering lock all the time either in an underground carpark or when I’m away fishing in the many remote countryside car parks and side roads.

I look at it this way, anything to make the car less attractive to some useless piece of **** is a must to me.

Reactions: S32B
I look at it this way, anything to make the car less attractive to some useless piece of **** is a must to me.
I use one of these, it's plastic, just put it on the drivers seat...
93cf6f89eed8a8bf700b77f32964dd64.jpg

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: GW1, Andy F, DW81 and 2 others
I don’t know wether to laugh or be sick mate :tearsofjoy:

Hopefully opportunists see it and move to the next car without one! :) http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/motorists-urged-use-steering-wheel-1063216

Same here, 9-3 on the S3 and now I'm using it on the A5, can't get it to fit 9-3 though as it hits the paddle shifters!:
img_5089-jpg.143986
Just incase anyone is wondering this example steering lock is incorrectly installed. Slide the lock over a little and then use a bolt cutter at one or both of marked positions on my edited image and you have yourself a vehicle to drive away:

IMG 5089

This is an example of how the lock should be installed, much harder to cut off as the lock is position across the controls and cannot be moved / cannot slide up and down:

CD3E81BD 4C39 462D A65A 16C4C4827F7C

Just remember to take the keys out :)

Reactions: DW81, Timi8888 and T-800
Just learned something there alix cheers.

Reactions: DJAlix
The steering lock I put in my first post on this thread doesnt fit at all, the S3 wheel is too small and thick for the hooks to go around the wheel...Will have to look into the stoplocks

The old version of these from about 20 years ago used to scratch the leather steering wheel where the lock mechanism fitted over the wheel circle. Has that been sorted in the newer versions - and also the button area per djalix’s second pic?

Just incase anyone is wondering this example steering lock is incorrectly installed. Slide the lock over a little and then use a bolt cutter at one or both of marked positions on my edited image and you have yourself a vehicle to drive away:

View attachment 147226
Yep I know mate, hence why I said "9-3 on the S3 and now I'm using it on the A5, can't get it to fit 9-3 though as it hits the paddle shifters!".

But to be fair how many opportunist carry bolts cutters around with them to make a single cut anyway? :)

On my S3:

The old version of these from about 20 years ago used to scratch the leather steering wheel where the lock mechanism fitted over the wheel circle. Has that been sorted in the newer versions - and also the button area per djalix’s second pic?

No scratches or marks on my steering wheel yet!

Brought my steering lock today. I don’t live in a bad area but This is just another layer of added security and deterrent.
39f61d6b1c5f6795f0b0cdd8b946149f.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DW81
Would anyone consider this on their S3
Upload 2018 6 19 22 34 26

Upload 2018 6 19 22 35 11

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-19_22-32-7.png
    upload_2018-6-19_22-32-7.png
    164.2 KB · Views: 482