Steering Issues

Going back to the OP:

When it does this on motorway, is it as if the electrical power assistance is no longer present until you steer past the resistance?

Analogy: car stationary and stop/start kicks in. Steering goes very heavy (assume steering power assistance is in power save mode). By turning the wheel past the resistance, power assist is restored (and engine restarts in this scenario).

After replacing the rack all feels good, I've got a couple of long trips lined up this week (Cheltenham to Salcombe, Devon then Cheltenham to Peterbrough) so it will give me a good chance to try it out. I shall report back after.

I think I might book mine in. Do the cases get logged with Audi on a central database? I.e. if they claim nothing is wrong then can I suggest they look into it with Audi?

I think I might book mine in. Do the cases get logged with Audi on a central database? I.e. if they claim nothing is wrong then can I suggest they look into it with Audi?

When I took mine in it wasn't something they had come across at that dealership. They checked the wheel alignment etc before ringing audi. They told audi hq the issues who told them to replace the steering rack.

They replaced it 3 weeks ago and I haven't had any trouble since.

What I cant understand is how come Audi authorise this fix for some and not for others? I was informed by my dealer that Audi had no reported cases!

Noticed this today after doing some dual carriageway/motorway driving. So annoying, like it's locked on and you can't seem to stop it. May have a word with the local dealer about it

Are you guys getting the stiff steering then rather than the "notchy" steering where it does move but seems to over-compensate?

Personally I get the notch, but it's the weight of steering, although relatively only slight, to overcome 'the notch', that causes it to apparently over compensate.

I'm going to talk to the dealer about this whole steering thing when it goes in next week.

As I said I had no issues with the steering rack being replaced. It went in for a day to check the wheels, suspension, tyres etc, the dealer then spoke to audi and it went back 2 weeks later for 2 days. It been perfect since

Ok so I took mine in to the dealers (Blackburn Audi) as this has been irritating me. They said they had not come across what I described before however they got the master technician to come out for a drive with me on the motorway. Unfortunately I'd just come from home in the morning and as others have said, it only seems to do it after a long run so wasn't noticeable. The tech did however say that he'd raise a QCR (Quality Control Report) with Audi to see if anything came back, and also because if they get a few then they'll look into it. Hopefully that'll mean it's logged now and I might have some comeback after warranty expires. I'm going to give them a ring next week maybe and see if anything has come back off it.

After mine went in the second time they replaced the steering rack after speaking to Audi and it has been perfect since. Hopefully it stays this way.

Not sure if my problem is similar to this thread..**if not then a mod can move or delete.**

When driving along generally in dynamic mode I get the feeling that all is not right with steering. When going round bends for eg. it almost feels like I have a flat front tyre..I have checked my pressures every other day and absolutely perfect. I have noticed my steering wheel sitting slightly off, not sure if it could be the alignment then or is it just the camber of the roads? When I switch steering into comfort it helps it a little but I still have that flat tyre feeling when going round bends. Maybe it is me just being paranoid but worthwhile putting it out there and maybe someone has had the same?