Start Up Noise

Ben Cameron

Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently purchased a 2016 A4 Avant TDI with 52k on the clock. The car appears to be well looked after and has full Audi service history. I have not been able to find anything untoward and it looks very clean all round, bearing in mind I have very little knowledge of cars. I have had the car roughly a week now and it makes this noise on start up every time. I don't think it is temperature related. It drives fine and pulls through all the gears no issues. All round it seems fine but this noise does not sound right to me and I have had a few diesel cars. Sorry for the bad video its dark outside but it highlights the noise perfectly. The sound is coming from behind the drivers wheel towards the centre of the car and sounds quite low down. It starts at 6s and you can hear it all of a sudden stop at 1m.36s. I'd really appreciate some advice on this as I love the car but I am extremely worried it could be something more serious. Please see link to view video, this is just for sound purposes:

Many Thanks

Ben

I took the car to a garage today and they put it up on a ramp. The noise is coming from the gearbox. Any ideas what this could be?
Thanks