Start/Stop not working

The swintonian

Reaction score
Most of the time I switch this off because I don't like it. The other day I forgot to switch it off and noticed that every time I stopped that it didn't stop the engine but displayed the icon on the dash with a line through it. Is there something that needs to be done to get this to work again, it was working properly until recently. The car is under warranty, should I get it checked under the warranty? Thanks.

Various systems affect ss functionality tbh, if you're that concerned, take it in given the warranty.

Reactions: The swintonian
It should tell you if there's a fault, from what you describe it doesn't sound as if there is an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Most of the time I switch this off because I don't like it. The other day I forgot to switch it off and noticed that every time I stopped that it didn't stop the engine but displayed the icon on the dash with a line through it. Is there something that needs to be done to get this to work again, it was working properly until recently. The car is under warranty, should I get it checked under the warranty? Thanks.
My RS6 C7 did the same. Main dealer for a software update, sorted mine.

Thank you for your replies. It is coming up to MOT time so I will get it looked at before the MOT under the warranty. Cheers.

There are a list of things that the car checks and monitors before deciding whether to engage start/stop, any one of which can cause S/S to be automatically disabled. These include:
  • Condition of the battery charge
  • Battery load, including MMI
  • Operating temperature of the engine
  • Aircon or heating load
  • Outside temperature
Either get the car scanned (VCDS etc) or have the dealer take a look, but don’t leave it until the MOT is due, as lots of delays on spare part availability (if needed) and a warning indication on the dash could result in an MOT failure.

Thanks for the information. I will get it booked into the Audi dealership as soon as possible.

Reactions: RAF_S7
turned mine off for good after seeing the price of the battery...

turned mine off for good after seeing the price of the battery...
Price of the battery has nothing to do with it.
The electronics, starter motor, engine and everything else including the battery, are designed for the stop/start environment.:racer:

The electronics, starter motor, engine and everything else including the battery, are designed for the stop/start environment.:racer:
The guy at my preferred garage has told me that batteries, starters and flywheel ring gears have been his constant source of work for start/stop engines.

Have also had my s/s defaulted to inactive.

I could afford £300 for a stop/start battery - but why take the risk of the other stuff?

Reactions: The swintonian, J10NMM and RAF_S7
If that was the case then the user would not have the option to turn the system off..

If that was the case then the user would not have the option to turn the system off..
Some people don’t like S/S so you get the option to disable it.
I don’t like it, but I run my cay with the auto box in sports mode all the time, which disables S/S anyway :hi:

Mines never worked for long enough and when i finally decided to ask Audi, i had one of the faulty batteries (C7.5 BE 2017) which was changed under warranty.
Ive noticed i still doesn't work with aircon on low also

Mines never worked for long enough and when i finally decided to ask Audi, i had one of the faulty batteries (C7.5 BE 2017) which was changed under warranty.
see post #4.

Mine is the same.
Most of the time when SS doesn’t work it’s because of the air con.

With the ac set to LO it causes the ac to run continuously so it will prevent the ss from activating due to the load on the engine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for all your replies and information. I went out in the car yesterday and it has decided to start working again. All the various possible reasons that had stopped it working must have sorted themselves out. Unless you know that all these permutations of Air Con, Battery condition, etc. that can stop it working then you could spend a lot of time and money taking it into the dealers to be fixed when it might not be broken.