Standard SD card based Satnav- updates, POIs etc?

Jerodequin

Reaction score
Hi All,

Search function still doesn't seem to be working from my end, so again apologies if this has been answered already (I've been manually reading through the forum, but a little hard to find specific topics without search!)

I'm thinking of speccing up the standard SD card based Sat Nav after reading a few positive things about it, but two areas I'm not sure about are POI support and updates - from what I've read, there may be some way to add in additional POIs using a third party tool?

When I asked about updates in the showroom, the sales guy didn't seem too sure (in his defense he did say he had only started at Audi the week before) but said that the system could be updated, but for each update a whole new SD card would have to be purchased (as if enabling it for the fist time) at a cost of £500 each time - is this right?!

Thanks,
J

Sounds about right for the SD nav, though I thought it was closer to £250ish. For tech pack and upwards, you get the first 5 updates for free, downloadable through the web.

I'm not sure on POIs, but it's possible you need Audi Connect for this. Someone else may be able to confirm.

Sounds about right for the SD nav, though I thought it was closer to £250ish. For tech pack and upwards, you get the first 5 updates for free, downloadable through the web.

I'm not sure on POIs, but it's possible you need Audi Connect for this. Someone else may be able to confirm.

I suppose it depends on what type of POIs your are looking for. Run of the mill POIs for petrol stations etc will probably be on the system but if you want to add up-to-date locations for speed cameras I think you will be out of luck. I have been looking at forums on various speed camera database web-sites and whilst some have managed to get the positions on some manufacturer database, as far as I can see, no one has managed it with the Audi system. Also when people have managed to get the speed camera locations as POIs onto the system they have not been able to get it to give any sort of audible warning when approaching a camera. Most people on the speed camera database forums seem to use a program on their smart phone to do this for them as the built in Sat/Nav cannot.

The whole speed camera thing that people want really boggles me. There big, there yellow. They stand out like a sore thumb. I don't get how people don't see them in advance. I even use to ride a motorbike and never once got caught by one.

The whole speed camera thing that people want really boggles me. There big, there yellow. They stand out like a sore thumb. I don't get how people don't see them in advance. I even use to ride a motorbike and never once got caught by one.

The problem is that drivers do see them, usually at the last minute and slam on their brakes. At least with a speed camera database your get plenty of warning and can adjust your speed accordingly.

Not all speed camera are big and yellow. Some are quite small and sit at high level on the top of grey posts :)

Personally I would rather be safe than sorry, hence I have an excellent system that not only tells me where the cameras are but all acts as an excellent route finder, gives me the speed limit, time and estimated time of arrival. It also allows me to add huge numbers of free POIs for all sorts of thing from Piza Hut's to RSPB reserves and all sorts of other things. As I'm right-handed it also allows me to enter search data using the touch of my right hand and is located in a position where a slight flick of my eyes can very clearly see the data on the screen. This whole setup has cost me just £90. And by the way I have never be caught by any fixed speed or average speed camera either.

I've used the Audi built-in Sat/Nav for a day in a demo car and have to say personally, I much prefer what I've already got.

For that price sounds like a very good system and if it works for you then even better.