Staggered 18" rims for my S3?

gareth_oau

Reaction score
Thanks to Sandip, Ive been looking at the Raderwerks rims http://www.raderwerks.com

and I'm liking the M-TEN80
rw_wheel_mten80s.jpg

They come in staggered set of 18x8 and 18x9 on ET35

I calculate that a 9" ET35 rim will give 19mm less clearance on the inside (and 19mm more width on the outside)

My questions are:

1/ will these fit on the S3 without rubbing on my Koni coilovers which are currently set 40mm lower than standard, and if they do rub, is it going to be tolerable?
2/ what size tyres would best fit on the fronts and the rears

Any thoughts and comments appreciated

Cheers

If you stick with the standard tyre size on the rear(probably look stretched), I can't see any problems with clearance, can you not get the rears in ET30 or ET25? that would help you clear the suspension, or maybe just add a set of spacers on the rear.

I'm not personally keen on the stretched look and I dont think our cops would be either.

Spacers would be perfect, but also illegal in our jurisdiction

Is there anything wrong with having staggered wheels on the S3? I heard it's not good for the quattro system?

Last edited:
Is there anything wrong with having staggered wheels on the S3? I heard it's not good for the quattro system?

Nothing wrong at all, the Haldex will only get confused if the rolling radius differences between the front and rear axles is over 5%, so you need to match the tyre rolling radius up! Wider rear tyres will also destroy any handling the S3 will have, since it's not too good in the first place. For looks, then yes, for handling, I'd stick with same width all round.

Cheers Jojo

For example, let's say 8x18 on front and 9x18 on rear. Would it really affect the handling that much for me to notice 'oh crap, this is really bad!' ?

Last edited:
Cheers Jojo

For example, let's say 8x18 on front and 9x18 on rear. Would it really affect the handling that much for me to notice 'oh crap, this is really bad!' ?

Depends on tyres, if you are running 225/40s front and with a bit of stretch on the rears, I doubt there would be me much in it. But say you go for 245/35s on the rear, the wider tyres on the rear won't help your turn in when cornering I reckon.